SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_135766448

Are downdraft ventilation units better in 2024? Honest reviews please

Pi_pumkin_sol3
3 months ago

Our architect designed us a single-story, Minimalist contemporary 2 bedroom home and specified the new 2022 Gaggenau Vario 400 Series downdraft ventilation induction cooktop, with a recirculation system in the cabinet below. It's supposedly the "best technology" downdrafts have seen to date.

I know many of you will throw a fit, but we had some major design limitations and wanted to give priority to our sink and prep area facing the view, so that's how we arrived at a downdraft.

We are also very light cooks - soups, steamed veggies, pastas, rice. In fact, our current home has no exterior ventilation at all, and it's never been a concern due to our cooking style. We have an outdoor grill for the occasional heavy cooking.

Most of you will say downdrafts are useless but there's a small percentage of us who just have no reason for an overhead hood. New downdrafts are coming onto the market and I'm curious about their effectiveness. For example, our friend in Germany has the new Two-In-One Miele integrated induction downdraft induction. She says it's incredible.

So, are downdraft units getting better in 2024? Are the telescoping downdrafts better than integrated ones?

Or, should we forget about indoor ventilation completely, given the relative ineffectiveness and the fact we're one of the few people who don't really "need" one to begin with?

NOTE: Other threads about downdrafts seem to have turned into a space to argue for why people should be installing hoods instead. I'd like to request that we avoid repeating that here, and accept that some people want or need to use downdraft ventilation units.

Comments (50)