SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kate_colbath

30" Bluestar Platinum (and ventilation) Review

Kate Colbath
5 years ago

I think I have read every Bluestar post in here during our recent kitchen remodel, so I thought I would offer my experiences for those looking. I only had room for a 30" range, and it seems most posts are about larger ones. I would love a larger one, but our small footprint is still far better off because of our Bluestar!

Our 30" Platinum was installed last week. Above it we have a 30" x 24" Zephyr Tempest I under-cabinet hood with 650 CFM. The hood was purchased when we thought we were going with a weaker range, or else I would have gotten something stronger. So far we have utilized the cooktop at low to high heats, but haven't yet wok cooked. We have grilled steak twice and baked cookies. The hood has been sufficient without question for all but the grilling. For grilling, we need to open windows in other rooms for a sufficient draft. I had our HVAC guy come over after the hood install to discuss MUA and he thought because of some of the structure in the remodel we might be fine (and I know we're not to code) without it. But since getting the Platinum and seeing how the hood is sufficient with added MUA for the grilling, we'll be adding that in.

The burners are amazing but that goes without saying. The oven is impressive though! I have an thermometer in there to check it out. Right now it is running hot, but the consistency in temperature is absolutely amazing. I don't think I've ever seen a gas oven with so little swing. If I set it at 150, it stays at 150. But, as I set it higher, the actual temp goes up. From 200 - 300, it's 25 degrees high. After 300 it's 50 degrees high. Extremely consistent, but high. My husband will see if he can adjust it and if he can't, we'll ask Bluestar. It wouldn't be the end of the world if it stayed like this, but we might as well see if it can be fixed. The bake on the cookies though, was amazing. I tried multiple temps on the middle, highest, and lowest racks, all within 2 minutes of each other based on the temp. I didn't rotate any pans, baked on convection. They're the most evenly baked cookies I have ever had with gas, and I usually rotate pans. So, despite the oven running hot, I'm super impressed!

The towers (if that's what you call them) that attach the door handle to the door are crooked, but I called our sales rep who contacted Bluestar and he said a Bluestar tech will be in touch as soon as a replacement part comes in. Not a huge deal given the handle is sturdy, but when you pay this much, crooked pieces shouldn't be a thing.

Overall, I am in love with this thing. I seasoned the grill pieces and griddle before use but didn't do the stovetop pieces. I'd read others hadn't because they're not used for direct cooking. But, I've noticed some rust on the underside edges. So I've oiled all the parts now and should have just done it from the beginning I'm sure. I absolutely adore how easy it is to keep this stove top looking nice. I hate spots on stove tops, and this always looks amazing with hardly any effort at all. I'm in love!

I will update here as things progress.

Comments (28)