SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_726503983

Residential make up air system

Scott
3 months ago

Coming here to vent, but hopefully find some answers.

I am floored by how difficult it has been to find asnwers/solutions from the pros in my area. Major/multiple room renovation and this is literally the only thing that has been a significant challenge as my own GC for the project.

I purchased a 36" monogram 6 burner rangetop. Has roughly 120,000 BTU output. Using calcs I have found (dividing by 100) tells me I need a 1200 CFM of exhaust. Cool. Fantech has that, not a problem.

In comes MUA. The bane of my existence. Fantech has that too, with heat. I can install both in my large attic. Easy. Well not according to an HVAC engineer I spoke with. Despite my request to throw it in the attic, I am constantly being reminded that it has to be conditioned (not just heat, but also cooled) per code. I am semi calling bullsh*t. Maybe this is a commercial thing, but I haven't seen anything saying it need to be cooled. His bid??? $20k. I about defecated myself. He wants to divert the intake into the return to condition the air. I like the idea, and have seen that thrown around a bit in my research, but not 20 freaking thousand dollars. I bought a $3k range and your telling me I have to spend 7x that to have it meet code. How can someone bid a job like this that high? He must be pulling in $1k per hour. I picked the wrong field. Oh, and please dont tell me thats normal, because its not, so we can end that discussion before it starts.

Anyway. I have spoke with a couple HVAC contractors as well (not engineers) and they all seem kind of shocked that I want to do this. I asked one of them how often do they put MUA in residential homes, and the answer was basically never. This guy said he was on the board that helps make the code (or something like that) in my state. There are roughly/probably 10 brands that sell these higher output ranges, marketed to residential kitchens and its impossible to find someone to install MUA. Shame on the distributors for not having an easy system or referall source for MUA, because mine sure didnt. Is this just going completely unnoticed? I mean, IT IS actually a health hazard. Dont tell me to open a window either. That doesnt meet code, but I will do that anyways.

I even bought a heat pump water heater to help avoid backdrafting. I have a vented gas fireplace, and a gas furnace.

Whats a guy to do? I have 2 HVAC contractors coming out in the next week. Maybe I can convince them to just install the damn inline fan and MUA in the attic without charging an arm and a leg. I know that you can place a restriction or limiter on some of these MUA systems where it can only run at so many cfm to stay below code. Thats been suggested by the guy on "the board", but that still doesnt meet code in my situation because I still have a range that has output of 120,000 BTU.

Maybe I will just buy an induction.

Does someone have experience with this, or installed the fantech systems, or similar, in the way I am describing without issues? We get probably 2 months where it will be close to if not freezing temps. I dont need the heat all that much. The cooling would be nice but not 20k nice. Plus I would likely just use 3 burners max most of the time and run the fan on the lowest setting. So why 6 burners? I dont know, it looks cool. Its big and its gas. I just want it. I also know that there will be added costs, so dont need a lecture on that, but lets be reasonable. I'll pay 6-8k for the entire system. That includes roughly less than 4k in unit costs (fan + MUA w heater). Would it really take $2-4 k in materials and labor to run the ducting??? (fan goes straight up out the roof, and MUA is about a 10 ft duct run--- all in the attic with an exposed ceiling at the moment).

Help me make this make sense. For anyone looking for a new career, apparently there is a massive gap in the MUA residential business, you'd make a killing and be super busy.

Comments (19)