SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
venexiano

Choosing a Make Up Air system for a 1959 house

venexiano
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I have a 1959 house in Gainesville, Florida. I am buying a 30" induction cooktop on an island. I am looking either for a hood or a downdraft system, maybe Captura Best, but I think I am gonna go the healthier way (a hood). I have these questions:

1) I think I want to have a Make Up AIR system (MUAs) even if I choose a 400 CFU unit. Although in Florida I can probably go up to 800 CFU, cause I think I have no "gravity vent appliances" (no fireplace and no gas, I will double check with my HVAC if the furnace in the heat pump heating/cooling system is an issue) I still think its better to have the MUAs and not to draw air from gaps and crawl space (where I actually have a Radon vent to vent it outside). Besides the obvious better performance of the hood compared to downdraft to remove fumes, is there a difference in how I should design the MUA system given the CFUs (e.g., is the MUAs design and cost the same for a 400 CFU downdraft or a 400 CFU hood)?

2) I have no ERV system. Can I buy an ERV system that has an embedded MUAs, or it does not make much sense (Spurpura on this post says that she has one, she says "high-end ERV systems (including a mix of other parts and computer and analog controls) can control the mix of indoor and outdoor air on the fly. Under sealed home conditions, this would result in positive, negative, or neutral pressurization for the home. When the vent hood is taken into consideration (providing a source of negative pressurization for the home), the ERV system can be set to mix more outdoor with indoor air to achieve positive/negative/neutral pressurization (as desired).").

3) assuming that a ERV with embedded MUA is a bad idea since my house might not be sealed (how to test?), where should the MUAs air enter my open space kitchen/family room area?

4) Is a silencer needed for the MUA?

5) What is the best way to activate the MUA once I turn on the hood?

Comment