SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dana_powell9

Small bathroom: Will my dark gray preference turn off mid-term tenants

Dana Powell
4 months ago
last modified: 4 months ago

I am removing all tile from my small 2nd floor bathroom. Tile showroom designer recommends this 12x24 tile for the bathroom floor outside of the shower, as well as either this arrow head design or this cubed design to replace the existing white glass tile and shower floor (the 12x24 would cover the other shower walls)**. However, the specs do not recommend any of those tiles for bathroom or shower floors (walls are fine), even though the tile’s water absorption is ≤0.5% and its required and average Dcof value is ≥ 0.42 AND ≥ 0.42 Velvet, respectively (not sure what is meant by velvet).

The Designer says slippage on shower floor will be a non-issue due to using 7 43/64 x 3 13/16x3/8 tiles; the design's amount of grout lines required; and the slate-like texture of the tile itself. The specs recommend using the collection’s mosaics for the shower floor, but 1) won’t using 3 different sized and shaped tiles, albeit from the same collection overwhelm this small bathroom and 2) am I correct in thinking none of the mosaics would complement an entire wall of the arrowhead or cubed design? Also, as far as I can tell, none of the tiles/mosaics/decorative are spec-recommended for bathroom floors--which would mean a fourth tile size/shape from a different collection would be necessary! Please, someone, anyone tell me what to do!

**The last photo is the wall behind the toilet and it would also be covered by the 12x24 dark flow tile. The original floor plan was modified; we took some of the hall closet space--as seen to the right of the toilet in the plan--and placed the toilet there.

Comments (25)