SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jarah_

I want foodies as tenants! Which kitchen features should I include?

Jarah
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

As a landlord, I'm aiming to install an above-average, middle-class kitchen, say, an 8+/10, in order to attract long-term, foodie tenants. The kitchen/eating space is about 11' x 21' (aprx 245 sf). I don't have a hard budget but I think the size of the space is my biggest limiting factor so in terms of cost, I would say I'm looking for the biggest marginal returns/bang for the buck. I'm a disaster with the culinary arts but listed below are some features I have considered after speaking with family and friends. Please feel free to add to the list and thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Jason

Things that I intend to include:

- adherence to general design principles (triangle, zones, minimum dimensions)

- Ikea cabinet boxes. Not sure yet whether I'll go with non-Ikea fronts

- generally speaking, drawers not shelves

- dedicated spaces for garbage, recycling, knives, spices, pots/pans, broom/vacuum

- carefully considered lighting (general, task, highlight, over-counter, etc)

- spray gun kitchen faucet

Things I'm thinking about:

- gas over electric at least for burners if not oven

- cooktop and wall oven rather than range

- pot rack

- pot filler

- a particular kind of main sink - double? large single? extra-deep? specific material?

- flooring type - vinyl for comfort and durability against water?

- backsplash - apart from style what should I consider - ease of cleaning?

- second sink (see below)

- coffee/beverage station (see above)

- premium counters (quartz, marble, soapstone)? Or concrete? I'm not convinced premium counters have a good return on investment since laminate can look nice, be very durable and requires virtually no maintenance. I can buy a lot of kitchen features with the money I save buying laminate counters.

- steam oven

- roll-out cabinet that normally lives under the counter beside the base cabinets, like this one:

https://www.houzz.com/photos/ella-bailey-kitchen-and-sunroom-traditional-kitchen-boise-phvw-vp~99312108

Comments (42)

• jupidupi
    3 years ago

Absolutely gas cooking! Have you ever seen a restaurant kitchen with electric? Large single sink. It allows for large pans and gives the most options, including the possibility of adding a plastic tub if they sometimes need an extra section. I agree with you on laminate countertops. Have you looked at cork flooring? It looks good, cleans easily and is very comfortable when standing for long periods.

Jarah thanked jupidupi
  • Amber S
    3 years ago

for a rental?

i would do

laminate or builder grade granite

gas cooktop or range

vinyl plank flooring

ikea drawer fronts so they can easily be replaced if needed

no pot filler- it can leak and rust your cooktop you wont know for sure how on top of that your tenant will be

all drawers in base cabs

good amount of uninterrupted prep space- at least 48”

range hood

Jarah thanked Amber S
  • Related Discussions

Which 24" gas stove should I buy? (or should I?)

Q

Comments (9)
    There are professional style 24"gas ranges, the best being Bluestar, but they're very expensive. I don't like the cheap Summit or Brown ranges. Avanti makes cheap 24" ranges that well, are perhaps O.K. - there are many different models, and some seem very cheap and flimsy- the pricier models seem somewhat better- Perhaps a better gas range for the $$ is Italian and goes under several names with minor differences. Different brands import them under different names. Avanti used to market it as the "Elba" DG2401C- Some online store called Sam's sells 'reconditioned' ones for about $1,000. A place called Rainbow lists it for much more. Delonghi also sells a similar range,Model: DEFSGG24SS or did at one time.- not sure if they're available any more. It's also known as the Verona VEFSGG244SS- Amazon sells it for about $1,830. Fisher Paykel also sells a similar range at a premium price. Fisher Paykel OR24SDMBGX2- $1850 or more. Bertazzoni sells their own gas range for about $2,000.
    ...See More

How should I update this kitchen? Pics included

Q

Comments (7)
    Your kitchen really reminds me of mine before we started our renovation. I have some before pics to share below, sorry they are so dark, but the kitchen was dark, I guess. But just notice the change the painted cabinets made.... My hardwood is in the foyer with only a 30" doorway where the floors meet. I could have gone with hardwood but decided not to, we are doing cork plank flooring. I don't think you should start a new hardwood floor in your kitchen unless it matched. I can tell you one of the biggest changes for us was painting the existing cabinets a shade of white. It took a long time. (there is a lot of information on how-to available on GW). But in my opinion it was so worth the effort. We moved our fridge too which opened up the stove wall for more cabinet space--huge difference. If you put a small island in the middle, you could hang a nice light fixture over it as well as changing the overhead light over the sink to a pendant as previously mentioned. Just last night we completed the recessed lights--wow. My kitchen has never been so bright! These were done in existing drywall, so you could do that too. We also are doing under cabinet lights--that might be something to think about. I think the drop in sink would be nice too. Are you keeping the counters, they seem pretty neutral. Mine were seafoam green. Not so neutral. Here are some pics of before and during (we still aren't done) for you to get an idea (remember--new floor isn't down yet). Sorry, I haven't gone around and taken photos from same spots exactly as in the before shots, but it is to give you an idea....
    ...See More

Which 24-in. Depth, Integrated Refrigerator Should I Get?

Q

Comments (54)
    My situation is somewhat unusual. This is my home, yes. I personally don't need a built-in fridge. I could care less for myself, although the Maytag I bought when I bought the house is a POS total waste of money. The reason for this reno, though, is that the bulk of my income comes from renting my house to vacationers, primarily in the summer. I am not on or near the saltwater beaches, so I have to rent on the strength of the house. This summer, I had an invasion ants (it's an old house, as well, 1880, the part where the kitchen is). As well, mice have constantly come into the kitchen via the crawlspace below because no one really sealed the kitchen off from the crawlspace when they built the kitchen. I've plugged everything with steel wool, though, and that has taken care of the mice, although they're still able to get in behind the cabinets, just not into the kitchen proper any longer. But with the ant invasion this summer, I had to refund some rent money as an act of goodwill and apology to a few of my guests. I don't want my guests to have these kinds of problems, obviously, and I don't want to have to reimburse rent (my income/livelihood). I had sealed the window on the outer wall and never had a problem with ants, until this year. They are now coming in from behind the dishwasher...long story . My cabinets are horrible. Two drawers have completely fallen apart, and one door split, which I glued back together. They are scratched up, sagging shelving and backing, particle board stapled cheap you-know-what. So, to get the kitchen fully sealed off so critters can't get in there, I have to pull everything out to get to the walls and underfloor. If I'm doing that, I will replace the cabinets, floor and counter (which is now a laminate). My kitchen is a very small, u-shaped kitchen. I can't open the fridge door all the way because it hits the oven door, so cleaning the vegetable bins is very hard because it's very hard to get them out and back in since I can't open the door all the way. But my house has two wings to it, which makes it very appealing for two families who want to vacation together and split rental rent. Each family has a lot of privacy since there is a queen bedroom in each wing, each with its own bath. But with two families, a tiny kitchen is problematic. With the fridge jutting out into the floor, as it does now, two people cannot work in the kitchen. Hence my need for a 24-in. depth fridge. And then you get into, if you're going to spend that kind of money for a refrigerator, get the right one, even if it costs a bit more. You're already spending a *^*(&)ing fortune. I'm getting the paneling for three reasons: I really dislike stainless steel; I am terrified of tenants scratching SS; a SS fridge would look gargantuan in my tiny kitchen. I move out when my house is rented.
    ...See More

Redoing bathroom I’m using shiplap. Which direction should I choose?

Q

Comments (24)
    Here is a tiny half bath (former closet) where we did an inexpensive update. The previous sink and toilet were too large for the room and the walls were rough and damaged. I added shiplap made the from flooring underlay, a couple of $5 rolls of wallpaper and a shallow vanity on clearance. . biggest expense was a small round front Toto toilet. Big improvement, I think, and if someone wants to change it later it won't be difficult or expensive. The old room was so dingy and awkward to use that I discouraged guests from using it. Now it's cheerful and I smile when I go in there. Do what you like!
    ...See More
  • Nick
    3 years ago

Depending on what sort of cooking you envisage, a proving drawer or an oven with a separate proving section. That's courtesy of a friend who works as a pastry chef.
    Also storage for vegetables; somewhere dark that won't get hot.

Jarah thanked Nick
  • beesneeds
    3 years ago

What kind of foodies are you looking to attract?

Laminate or stainless steel countertops. Not stone anything- except perhaps a mobile marble slab for bakers/candy makers. Gas range if you can. Smooth large tile backsplash- ease of cleaning. Skip the pot filler. Add a garbage disposal.

I prefer a double sink with integrated drain board, I just find it more functional than the single bowl with no drainboard that is currently popular. If you go with a single large bowl, then yes, do include a smaller second sink somewhere. Stainless steel regardless of what kind of sink

Make sure you leave room for generous fridge/freezer space and for dry pantry space other than just spices.

Jarah thanked beesneeds
  • BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    3 years ago

Post pictures and a floor plan with dimensions (Including measurements for where doors, windows, and anything unmovable is) and we can give better advice on layouts.

I'm not sure what you picture for "spray gun faucet" but we love our current faucet which has a pull down head with the sprayer built in; we previously had a separate sprayer and didn't use it.

For sink, I'd go stainless steel, single bowl. The stainless will last forever, and the single larger basin gives room for larger pans.

A cook's kitchen will be expected to have gas or induction. Wall ovens and ranges both have their camps ... the layout/floor plan will help dictate what's most appropriate.

What's the current flooring and what's in the rest of the house?

Whether a second sink is practical will depend on the layout ... coffee station and/or bar area can be planned into the layout. The roll out cabinet might be practical in conjunction with this, so the cart portion could be brought over for serving.

I don't think the steam oven is going to give you much return for the cost, so I probably wouldn't spend extra on that.

Marble isn't idiot proof enough for a rental. If you're going high end, I would lean towards stone, engineered stone, concrete or solid surface over laminate. It is something people notice, but its probably not a deal breaker so long as it's done well. Talk to a local realtor and see if they can give you advice on whether it would allow you to charge more and what would be expected in your market. Pick the backsplash after you pick the counter and cabinets.

• Mark Ellis
    3 years ago

Gas, ventilation, counter space, storage, absolute durability. Don't go decorator fancy: stainless is better than marble, gadgets aren't needed. Room to work, a stove with some punch, and really good ventilation are what anyone who is actually cooking needs.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago

Lots of good ideas above, I'll just add....pot racks can be personal taste. People either love or hate them. I am not a fan for the way I cook, and my kitchen has ample drawer space for cookware. However, we've haven't seen a drawing of your kitchen layout.

No to marble anything in a rental, and no pot filler!

• Danielle Gottwig
    3 years ago

If I had to venture a guess: Good ventilation. Prep space. Storage. Big sink. White subway tile is inexpensive and has the right "vibe."

• Fun2BHere
    3 years ago

No pot filler, no microwave over the cooktop, no pot rack, no built-in coffee maker. Use quartz or stainless or combination counters rather than laminate. Gas cooktop, exhaust fan that exhausts outside and has removable, dishwasher safe filters, electric wall oven, combination convection microwave (acts as second oven), sink large enough to put large skillet flat on bottom of sink, some sort of spray head faucet, large drawers for pots and pans, large refrigerator, long counter with plenty of workspace.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

It is amusing to specify foodies for tenants are you hoping for dinner invitations? What we need IMO is to scale floor plan with all measurements clearly marked all windows doorways marked . Where is the lpumbing ,can it be moved same with the gas line .I am a chef and a kitchen designer I love Ikea cabinets both for function and cost. The space you have is not huge so good planning is abig deal. keep in mind we foodies entertain alot so space for a big table is a must. What purpose are thinking for the roll out cabinet? The space you have is smaller than my kitchen so IMO you need to post the floor plan and also the areas around the kitchen space should be at least marked on the plan . BTW a pot filler is probably one of the most expensive useless piece in a kitchen. I run a catering biz from my home and have never missed having a pot filler. Is this a house you are renting out or a condo ? I think we need a bit more info , some pictures and that floor plan

• bry911
    3 years ago

I know this is not the advice you asked for, but unless you have a specific someone you are doing this for, it just isn't worth it. The cap rate on some of the things you mentioned is just going to be in the swirly bowl...

In my experience, people who love to cook find a way to cook. A decent oven and cooktop is all you need. Also, in my experience, foodies will care more about things like entertaining space and location than they will the kitchen. If this were a detached home I would take all that money you are spending in the kitchen and stick it in the patio... you are more likely to get foodies that way.

• Jarah
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks so much to all who have responded so far, it’s been really helpful. I hope to post a preliminary Ikea floor plan soon – I’m running into software issues (I really wish Ikea would spend some money to improve the planner, it’s still really clunky).

Some points to clarify:

- This space is currently where I live so this isn’t purely business. Since I don’t cook much, I started this thread to hear from people who do so I have a better sense of where I should be spending my money. Bry911 makes a very good point about spending the money on outdoor living.

- No love for the pot filler!

- As for the rolling cabinet, I thought it might be useful since the longest stretch of standard depth counters is only 36", so a person could wheel it nearby for additional space.

- I wasn’t clear on what I meant by “coffee station,” I don’t mean a built-in espresso machine. I just mean a “beverage station” with a sink for water and an electric plug for a conventional coffee machine or kettle. And cups and mugs nearby, and maybe a microwave so that a person could fix a drink or warm up leftovers without getting in the way of someone working in the kitchen.

- Re the kitchen faucet, I mean the goose-neck style found in the dishwasher pits of restaurants (I'm sentimental because I was a dishwasher in high school, and I love blasting plates clean with high-pressure hot water so basically this is a toy for me).

• mrst878
    3 years ago

As a foodie myself currently redoing my own kitchen:

- gas, if not possible consider induction - this will scare off the non-cooks too

- no pot filler outside of a restaurant I don't get these things

- check out the Kraus workstation sink - affordable alternative to the high end Kohler and Raichle

- if there's space an island or peninsula with seating so people can gather (but not be in the immediate workspace)

what a fun question! I hope it works out for you

• Jarah
    Original Author
    3 years ago

mrst878: thanks for another great suggestion this thread has generated. I initially placed a double wide sink in my floor plan, but scaled back to a 1.5" so I could get more counter space (and then only up to 36" continuous). Now I realize the advantage of a sink needs to be large enough for things too large for a dishwasher.

Has Kraus been around for long? I'm not familiar with the brand (ditto with Raichle).

• summersrhythm_z6a
    3 years ago

I like Kraus sink and their commercial faucet. It would be great if there is an outdoor entertainment area like a patio or a deck, foodies enjoy outdoor living too ......and If you have a garage to go with the apt, car people would come too, many of them are food loving souls. Is your apt near a hospital? Resident doctors normally stay 3-5 years. They don't have time to cook though, you'd save $$ for updating kitchen.

• olychick
    3 years ago

How are you going to screen for "foodies"? Lots of people are foodies and don't cook a lick of food at home.

• mainenell
    3 years ago

I truly doubt there are that there are that many “foodie” applicants in the tenant pool. You won’t get your money back. Aim for a well designed kitchen with at least one good sized prep area, decent range (as a landlord I prefer electric because you don’t have emergency repairs on Saturday night for gas leaks) and maybe a bit larger fridge than usual. (I use a 18cf 28” wide GE with glass shelves). I rarely have tenants who actually cook. A dishwasher that is 1 or 2 steps above basic. It will be more durable and no one really likes that $350 model. What is most important is to screen, screen, screen to get a tenant who will take care of your property, be respectful of yourself and other tenants, and PAY THE RENT ON TIME. EVERYTIME. That is what is essential in a tenant.

• mrst878
    3 years ago

Kraus isn't that old a brand (2007 according to their website). Raichiele (spelled wrong above) I first heard of here in discussion boards (been doing my homework for a loooong time). They're custom made in the US (Florida). There's lots of videos https://www.youtube.com/user/dinorachiele. The fundamental idea is you add a lip to the sink so you can put a cutting board over the sink, effectively extending counter space. Also keeps the messy protein prep in the easy to clean stainless steel or antibacterial copper area. I watched the video and drank the Raichle kool-aid. Then found the Kohler one which was a little cheaper but had some issues, and then found the Kraus which was cheaper still and comes in several sizes. I bought it so we have it for the cabinet and counter fab but it won't be installed for a couple of months at least so I can't really say if it's all that. It is made overseas - definitely a knock off I think - but it looks fine to me and came with all the extras.

• Danielle Gottwig
    3 years ago

It's certainly true that you have no way to know if you will get a "foodie" tenant or not. However, I do think there's something to being able to market a unit as having certain "luxury" features that are hard to find in competing rentals, if you are in a market where a lot of affluent people are renting who have certain kinds of tastes. Where I live, its common to have units with older kitchens and units with "upgraded" kitchens in the same complex that rent for more per month with the exact same location -- people who can afford it and care absolutely select the upgraded kitchens. Likewise, slick looking apartments command higher rents than places that feel tired and worn.

There's a whole swath of the working population, esp, in higher cost urban centers, who are priced out of home ownership for years but would like to have a higher end apartment.

But it really depends on the market.

It also depends on the $$ involved. If OP can add a few thoughtful features that are functional and durable without paying too much more, but just planning the selections well, it makes total sense to me to add the thoughtful selections. The key thing to keep in mind is that this isn't a forever kitchen for you or the tenant. Small details that most people wouldn't notice and niche features don't really make sense (pot filers; custom fronts for ikea cabinets; expensive pulls; etc). Also, you really don't have to do very much to offer a nicer kitchen than your competition. I cook a lot and suffered through some really dysfunctional and ugly kitchens in my renting years. You are way out in front of the competition if you have ikea boxes with drawers, an inexpensive stone counter, a single bowl sink, an attractive pull down faucet, and a little prep / landing space.

• Cherie
    3 years ago

It’s hard to say without knowing your market. Have you considered working with a real estate agent? They would know best if the upgrades you’re considering are worth the ROI.

These are the questions I asked myself when selecting appliances for my rental property:

Will the tenant pay for the utilities? Is gas or electricity cheaper? How will a gas or electric range/oven impact my property insurance?

Also, if you're spending a lot on appliances, work into the rent a complementary cleaning service to maintain the kitchen appliances and bathrooms. It’s very likely the tenant will never descale the steam oven or dishwasher, clean the hood range filters/grease trap or oven.

• bry911
    3 years ago

Advice/information that no one asked for (mostly because I needed a break)...

When looking at rental properties your area defines your rental pool and the specifics of the property move you up and down in the rental pool. The rental pool always has a negative slope, so the closer you get to the top of the rental pool, the fewer renters there are to market to. Therefore, you have to be careful when you are marketing to the very top of the rental pool as your occupancy rate can decrease, as there are fewer qualified renters at that price point.

When deciding you are going to target a certain renter there almost always needs to be a location reason. For example, I just finished a warehouse conversion for a space that is physically connected to the hospital and our target client were doctors. For foodies I would want a property that is next to a farmers market or community garden.

Understanding cap rates is also pretty helpful in the rental business, both total cap rate and marginal cap rate (net rents vs. total rents). Let's suppose you have a 1% marginal cap rate (which is a common number) then every $100 you spend on improvements should increase your rent by $1. So suppose your rental to non-foodies would bring $1,200 per month and you believe you can market to foodies and get $1,400 per month. Then you can spend up to $20,000 attracting foodies.

The trick is to then try to get to $1,400 rents while spending less than $20,000. Things that cost you $3,000 and get you more than $30 per month in rent are good, things that cost you $3,000 and get you less than $30 per month in rent are bad. If you are really wanting upscale renters, try a built in wine fridge near the regular fridge. It will cost you $500-$800 and get you $20 per month in rents at least.

When I look at some of the things you want, like a steam oven I just don't see them as good returns, some seem like things you want or love in your kitchen. Other things, such as the roll out cabinet are just bad ideas... Even being responsible there is a fair shot at dinging your other cabinets when rolling it in and out, and way too many opportunities to use that cabinet irresponsibly.

Good luck.

• jabaz
    3 years ago

IMO, a foodie can just as well be someone who mainly subsists on restaurants and take-out vs someone who is an avid home cook. However, as someone who likes to cook and has lived in dozens of rentals in my earlier years, I can say that most rental kitchens are not well set-up for people who cook a lot. However, I would also say to watch what you wish for. You might have a lot more wear and tear on your kitchen. The types of upgrades you are looking at would require charging a price premium. Do you have enough renters in your area willing to pay that premium? I would find this out before going to much further down this path. Speak to an agent.

My guess is that a simple, clean, basic design will win out over any fancy upgrades in most rental markets. Your goal is to easily rent out the place (so low price per square foot) and minimizing maintenance costs. Most rental profit margins are slim unless you own the place outright. Having to repair a steam oven can wipe out your profit for 1-2 months.

I would focus on improvements which don't add much additional cost but can make your place look better than the competition, such as:

• a sleek and clean/uncluttered look
    • a good layout/workflow
    • lots of storage space, cabinetry to the ceiling
    • a larger than average fridge (such as a 36" counter depth)
    • lots of pantry space; doesn't need to be a separate room, just cabinets are fine. Pull-out shelves are nice to have.
    • lots of counter space, especially around the sink and stove (for prep) and a durable countertop (such as quartz, corian or a more budget friendly high-end laminate)
    • inexpensive, simple, easy to clean backsplash
    • a microwave shelf to avoid counter clutter (avoid built-in due to cost to repair and replace)
    • a large prep island with seating if you have the space
    • a gas range (or induction but probably not as cost effective unless you don't have a gas line, depends on who pays the bill and costs of each in your area) with a warming drawer (optional, not essential)
    • a proper vent over the range (not a microwave)
    • a large stainless steel sink with a tall, pull-out faucet to accomodate large pots
    • enough base cabinet drawers for a large garbage can and recycling, a set of pots and pans, cooking utensils and things like spices and plastic and foil wrap. Maybe a few extra for tupperware. I know people here love to tout all base cabinet drawers but they are more expensive and require heavy duty slides for things like small appliances. If there is no dedicated pantry, you need a spot for tall items like stock pots, pressure cookers, stand mixers, etc. Regular base cabinets are cost effective and more than good enough for a rental. Most people won't notice or care. I would avoid expensive inserts because you don't know what people will need to store.

I would skip the following:

• Wall oven - not worth the extra expense and installation cost vs a range
    • Steam oven - very expensive and requires regular maintenance and descaling. I would skip.
    • Pot filler - not worth the cost in a smaller kitchen, will not be missed by most people
    • Second sink - only if the space is larger or prep space is far from sink. The extra counter space in a smaller kitchen is likely much more important than an extra sink.
    • Pot rack - I personally am not a fan, too much clutter especially for a small space with an open kitchen; pot drawers are popular and less expensive since you are already building cabinetry.
    • Roll-out cabinet - seems like extra expense for little benefit. I would skip it and just do an island or L-shaped counter if you have the space.
    • Coffee/beverage station - I wouldn't put built-in refrigeration or a built-in coffee maker in a rental. They would be too expensive to buy and repair or replace. Just have a lot of electrical outlets where there is counter space and plan an area where a coffee maker and blender could naturally live without interrupting kitchen workflow.

Overall, I would focus on improvements that come with better planning and better choices than extra expenses, especially as far as maintenance goes. For example, quartz might be more expensive but would elevate the look of the kitchen and be a lot more durable and timeless, so a splurge like that might be worth it if budget allows. A pot filler and steam oven are simply things most renters won't appreciate and are expensive install and maintain.

• jslazart
    3 years ago

I don't think it's possible to attract foodie tenants. Some foodies don't cook; some do. If they do, some bake more, some cook more, some grill more. Some people who love to cook don't care what the kitchen is like (other than probably wanting counterspace--who doesn't?) and some people who only eat out really value the "look" of an expensive kitchen more than anything.

It's more realistic to want long-term tenants, but I'm sure there is lots of advice on how to go about that. As far as the kitchen, specifically, for someone long term, just having it updated and clean with nice appliances would be a good plan. A lot of it will depend on your area. Have you looked at nearby comps?

• rebasheba
    3 years ago

Given the small space, go for a range, gas or induction -- I'd rather have the workspace (countertop). Pantry space. Trash pullout. Maybe a teeny island/worktop/rolling cart to add workspace. The one that slides under the counter makes sense for space saving I suppose, but then it's too short.

• anj_p
    3 years ago

I think all the hate for pot fillers is surprising. I cook almost daily, and cook a HUGE variety, and I use my pot filler all the time. Is it necessary? No. Would I miss it? Absolutely yes.

That being said, I wouldn't put it in a rental.

Agree that wall ovens are not a necessity and a range would be just fine.

Put in a good ventilation hood & a good gas/induction range. Use a single bowl sink. Done.

• loobab
    3 years ago

Hi Jason-

It's great that you want your unit to be as user friendly as possible.

It's important to realize that you are fixing it up for tenants, not for yourself, and you don't want to spend so much money on it that you will have to price it above what a nice tenant can afford.

Bells and whistles are really not necessary.

I would definitely put in things that are sturdy and don't need to be babied or replaced between occupants.

Renters will not coddle the unit the way you think they ought, whether they are foodies or not.

Flooring: I would avoid carpeting. It will just get filthy and you will end up replacing it between tenants. I would get either laminate or luxury vinyl planks. There is a newer type made of rubber that withstands water very well. And be sure to get the very best underlayment to avoid sound and use experienced installers with references and check the references. Or Marmoleum or some type of real linoleum. Vinyl is not really quality and won't last long.

Counters: I would avoid laminate. It will get burn marks and knife marks. You would do better with a genuine stone or a solid surface such as Corian. And give the tenant a large cutting board or two and explain to them that even genuine stone and sold surfaces are not heat-proof and will scorch.

Sink: One large sink is better, it will fit large stock pots and skillets. I would avoid stainless steel, it will dent.

You don't need a fancy or tall faucet either, Just one that has a button to make it spray and a pull out end so it can reach all parts of the sink, and you want it to have a finish that doesn't show fingerprints.

You don't need a window over the sink. This is an apartment, not their dream house, and with the dishwasher, most people spend very little time at the sink anyway.

Second sink isn't necessary.

Refrigerator: Have the tenant bring his/her own. Make sure the space for it is large enough plus several inches more for the latest good sized model.

Dishwasher: Definitely have one. You don't need a fancy one, just a normal sized one that does its job.

Pot-filler: Waste of money

Coffee beverage station: Totally Unnecessary. Many busy professionals get their jolt of joe at a shop on the way to work. or just have a Keurig and pre-packaged pods.

Pot-rack: Unnecessary. If your tenant needs more room for their pots and pans, they can put it up themselves. Some people would find a pot rack unattractive clutter, and a particularly tall tenant would find a pot rack a hazard.

Steam Oven: Skip it

Convection Oven: A great idea!

Double Oven: A great idea!

I prefer two wall ovens and a range top to a stove. That way I don't have to bend down and lift a heavy roast or bird from way down. It also leaves great space under the range for storage, and I get two full size ovens.

A proper vent hood over the range that vents to the outside.

Island: not necessary- just have adequate counter space on either side of the sink and the range.

Microwave: A shelf with adequate space for a microwave. Let people bring their own microwave. Most people have their preferences as to size and model and wattage, and this way you are not responsible for microwave maintenance and upkeep.

Kitchen storage: However much shelf space you think, add some extra, and space for a trash bin and a broom closet, too.

Dining area: Be sure to have a dining area that is large enough to seat 6 people around a table plus have room for a buffet against the wall.

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    3 years ago

couple more comments and thoughts:

Definitely go heavy on storage ... it's nearly impossible to have too much storage.

Solid surface like Corian might make a lot of sense in a rental due to the ability to micro sand it, so it could be refinished between tenants to keep it looking clean and new. Chatting with my mum, she said she'd definitely pay extra for upgraded counters, as she doesn't like laminate and finds it harder to clean.

I guess when you said coffee station, I was thinking small space separate from prep space that would have an outlet for a coffee machine, and maybe space for the toaster, too, and appropriate storage for mugs, coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. I was not thinking giant coffee machine or anything built in. I guess we all have different views of what makes a "coffee/beverage station" ... or maybe it's because I don't drink coffee.

I agree on convection oven! I would never get another oven without convection.

• Jarah
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi all, this has been very enlightening so thanks again for your contributions. A few things:

- I'll have to think on the counter material. In another space, I installed fixed-length (8 feet), faux-marble counters from Ikea and they look great and are standing up well after three years. The cost was $5/sf. I can expect to pay at least $100/sf for any premium counter material. Are Ikea laminate counters 20 times worse than premium options? I might consider DIY concrete, but that's a lot of extra work if not expense.

- by "foodie" I mean people who enjoy spending lots of time in the kitchen cooking and/or baking. I used "foodie" in the title because every other title I tried ("people who love to cook") was rejected as having too many characters (Houzz has a really low limit).

- the space is where I live and I may never leave, so the spending decisions aren't purely tenant-oriented. It's on the main floor of a larger home not in an apartment building.

- since people have raised cap rates and FOI issues, here's some context: The neighborhood is middle- to upper-middle-class in a HCOL city with low cap rates. There's a large hospital and a university nearby so prospective tenants would include health care professionals and academics.

• jad2design
    3 years ago

I went with a Kraus single bowl stainless steel sink for my recent remodel. They are excellent and really reasonably priced. Leave your tenants a couple of cans of Bon Ami or Bar Keepers Friend scouring powder for cleaning the sink and it won’t look like a mile of bad road in a couple of years. Sadly, half the damage tenants do is well meant, usually involving deploying the wrong cleaning products. And foodies generally don’t know better. Joining the chorus on no pot filler. Just the thought in a rental makes me shiver. I’ve cooked professionally and owned rental properties too. Mostly what would warm my heart as a foodie would be what everyone above has said - an efficient layout, lots of counter space, big sink, lots of storage, a dishwasher, a decent frig, Nice lighting is also lovely. I seem to be the only one on Houzz to pick lower cabinets over drawers, but consider at least one or two of them A 20 dollar vertical metal rack in a cabinet will give you tenant space for all manner of sheet pans and muffin tins.

• mainenell
    3 years ago

Stainless Steel sink is the most durable/least prone to damage sink. It is the work horse of sinks. Get a heavier gauge and denting won’t be a problem. Your goal is to tenant proof as much as possible. A dedicated microwave spot that screams “put the microwave here” would be a good plan as they draw enough power when in operation to really need a dedicated circuit.

• rebasheba
    3 years ago

Don't do concrete. I think you need a high-end countertop to look high-end... not to be good to cook in.

• suedonim75
    3 years ago

“Refrigerator: Have the tenant bring his/her own. Make sure the space for it is large enough plus several inches more for the latest good sized model.”

yeah...one of the advantages to renting is not having to buy appliances. And refrigerator are the most expensive appliance. This would be a huge turn off to renters.

• mainenell
    3 years ago

The refrigerator is location specific. My market they are standard. When I was first married 35 years ago we were in area where range and fridge were not typical. Particularly at the price point we were at. Only 1 out of a dozen or so apartments had appliances. We chose that apartment. I know that some markets tenants provide their own. But not mine. In any price point that I can tell. It also increases wear and tear on the flooring and doorway trims to have appliances moved in and out constantly. (Today we dragged a fridge across the floor to get washer past it to take to the basement. A really big hassle and worry about gouging the floor. Part of why I provide washers and dryers, too.)

• Cherie
    3 years ago

I am very confused. Is this kitchen for your personal use, will it be only for the tenant or shared?

• partim
    3 years ago

I'd like my laminate counter tops, especially after reading on Houzz about some of the problems people have had with their much more expensive granite and quartz. Both the botched installs and subsequent staining and scratching. Laminate is definitely suitable for a rental. It is a very functional counter top for someone who loves to cook, as I do. It's just not trendy.

But I wonder what the odds are that someone who loves to cook will ever be cooking in that kitchen? In my experience there aren't all that many of us. And you've said you may never move out. So I wouldn't spend a lot on that aspect of it.

• S G
    3 years ago

@jupidupi Actually many super high end restaurants use induction rather than gas. Its incredibly responsive and adjustable even compared to gas and it doesn't heat the entire kitchen up.

• Seabornman
    3 years ago

Induction is a great idea as it's clean, however you may need to supply pots and pans that will work with induction. Renters aren't going to want to buy a whole new set of cookware just for their temporary housing.

• laurelcollins
    3 years ago

The most important thing you want in a tenant is their ability to pay rent on time, not be high maintenance, and treat your place respectfully. You won’t get your money back on all the bells and whistles in a fancy “foodie” kitchen, and it won’t translate to increased rents.

• Danielle Gottwig
    3 years ago

Depending on your fuel options and cost, I might lean toward gas in a rental. Gas is perhaps a little more familiar to Americans are a "premium" cooking option, whereas induction is still taking hold. But more important, it's easier to repair gas units - and there isn't a big glass cooktop for a tenant to scratch / break.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    3 years ago

Are you making a family home into 2 units? Do you have enough amps for 2 kitchens?

• suezbell
    3 years ago

For your kitchen base cabinets, you might consider including a deep bottom drawer and, in addition to a fixed shelf atop that drawer, add a second removable/adjustable shelf .

https://www.rockler.com/white-shelf-standards-select-length?country=US&sid=V91040&promo=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&tid=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_I6Sw8O26wIVBdvACh2mLAUOEAQYAyABEgJYcvD_BwE

Also, include a "pantry" that IS a floor to ceiling cabinet shelves.

Also consider a vertical drawer unit. Some people have a standard width refrigerator and others prefer a wider refrigerator so having a vertical drawer unit that could be left in place or removed to accommodate the difference in width would be well worth considering -- especially if you left another space in the kitchen dining area as an option for it.

If there is a mud room, consider allowing space for an upright freezer (in addition to a washer/dryer closet) .

• loobab
    3 years ago

An upright freezer in an apartment? lol!