SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cwurch

Help! How to Stop Our Cat from Destroying Our Washing Machine!

cwurch
4 months ago

We recently got a cat and never thought we would have this crazy dilemma! We bought a LG Washtower (front loader) about two years ago and installed cabinets around it because our laundry room is in our mud room, which is consistently walked through from our garage to our house. The traditional washing machine set up is so tight so I was really excited to reno the space.

We adopted a cat back in May and since then he has eaten through two washing machine gaskets (boots) when we accidentally forgot to close the washing machine door (which really needs to stay open consistently in order to dry out). After he destroyed our first gasket (a $400 replacement bill…) we purchased a gizmo from Amazon to keep the door open - within three weeks the stupid cat figured out how to fling it open and proceeded to destroy the replacement gasket.

I’m really trying to find a solution to this problem because the kids love him and no shelters are accepting cats at this time. I’m wondering if anyone has found a more cat-proof way of keeping the washing machine door open but keeping the cat out? I’ve googled, and a lot of people suggest the gizmo that we tried (which was a huge fail!) I’ve thought of some kind of baby gate up against the machine which would have to be removed entry time we do laundry, but I don’t think that would work. Any suggestions would be very helpful - this has caused a huge amount of stress and angst in our household!

Comments (44)