SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris_miele88

Could someone please check my pitch, run, and ceiling heights?

Christopher Miele
4 months ago

Owner builder here, first time. A bit out of my league perhaps. I feel like I just found a mistake with my plans (designed with and purchased from a draftsman) and I'm freaking out. Permit was just issued.

Section of house in question is 28' front to back, with a single-plane 3/12 shed roof, taller in front.

On plan: Front of house shows 19' total inside height + roof (8' ground floor, 1' floor, 10' loft upstairs) on plans. Rear of house shows 14' 6" total inside height + roof (8' ground floor, 1' floor, 5'6" upstairs at back wall / mechanical room on plans)

With a 3/12 pitch should I expect to see a 7 ' drop over the 28'? If this were accurate, both rear ceilings in question would be significantly lower which is a no go for me. Am I running this calculation correctly? A 7’ drop over 28’ from the front height of 19’ leaves 12’ total at the rear not 14' 6" as shown.

Same issue with the garage, which is also 3/12 and a 13’ 6” ceiling in front of garage and a 9’ ceiling at the rear. At 3”/ft. over 26’ = this is a 78” drop (6.5')

Someone please tell me I am wrong!

And, I'd like to pay for a second set of eyes on these plans. What do you all recommend for that?

Thank you all -

Comments (18)