SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mollydog4

Asbestos in textured ceiling - always check!

mollydog4
14 years ago

Hi,

My house is a modular home that was built in 1986. Because of the date of it's construction I was confident that the textured ceilings (which appear to be joint compound done in a "stucco" effect) would not contain asbestos. I worked removing them for an hour until I began to realize that it was not ordinary joint compound and I noticed it had a very sparkly substance mixed in it. I thought this might be asbestos so I stopped removing it.

I sent a sample to a lab and the results were "point 5 percent" (.5%) asbestos. They said it is usually not a problem unless it is 1% or above - could someone please comment on that. I worked for an hour removing it. It was very dusty and I worked without a mask very close to the ceiling and so breathed in alot of the dust.

Is there any way to judge if this exposure is likely to cause future health issues for me? As you can imagine I am very concerned.

The point I want to make is PLEASE DON'T ASUME YOUR TEXTURED CEILINGS DON'T CONTAIN ASBESTOS BASED ON THE CONSTRUCTION DATE OF YOUR HOME. ALWAYS HAVE IT TESTED.

I can't believe the can of worms I have opened up by trying to remove that ceiling texture. Now we have to have our air tested and look into abatement.

I would appreciate any information from others who have had this done as far as the cost, etc. These ceilings are throughout the downstairs of our house and now one room has it partially removed.

That's bad enough but am I going to have to worry about getting sick in the future from breathing it in? What a mess - and what a downer right before the holidays.

Comments (5)