SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

What are your best/favorite cookies to bake? Do they dominate?

plllog
4 months ago
last modified: 4 months ago

Ricky posted his new dried fruit apple pie cookie recipe recently, and it got me to thinking. A couple of my favorite cookies are from my old loose leaf Betty Crocker cookbook, which my parents gave me when I was nine. My all time favorite is the Moravian ginger cookies, which are molasses more than ginger, and roll out thin and crisp. They get soggy when frozen, and are brittle enough to need to be handled with care if there are thin bits like legs, and the dough degrades with repeated rollouts, but they're ever so good. The other ones from BC are applesauce and oatmeal. Toll House from the old package with a spoon (half tsp. for 12oz. chips recipe) of water and baking sticks (higher melt point than butter) are fab, and I can make them well, but The Expert makes the best ones. I know his secrets, but haven't perfected them. For rolled and cut/stamped, my best are my Scottish nanny's shortbreads. These last two crowd out all the others!

We used to bake lots and lots of cookies, which went to all the school parties, organizations, etc. Variety was good, but the chocolate chip and shortbread always went first. It's such a shame! Moravian ginger cookies are molasses brown, flat and undecorated. They look boring but are the tastiest of all! Applesauce are drop cookies, and not perfectly shaped, but tender and oh so good. And while people are disappointed if they're aiming for chocolate chip and bite onto oatmeal raisin, that doesn't meam oatmeal aren't good! So I'm wallowing in a fit of nostalgia, but have no one to bake my favorite cookies for. —Shout out to Annie's ”cuppa” peanut butter cookies, which make hollow boxes by ”popovering” in a mini-cheesecake pan, and are delicious! Though less peanutty than the old BC recipe with the fork grids.— The young ones eat lots of sweets, but they're disguised as ”healthy” even if structurally they're just cookies.

So. I have my ”new” cookie cutters I got last year but didn't get to use, which make pretty shapes with a well in the middle for jam or whatnot, to make faux linzers. I think I'll pivot, however, and make a nut dough. Maybe that'll be faux healthy enough for the young ones.

Comments (26)