SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rowan1099

Area rug or not for pass through living room

rowan1099
5 months ago

I have a pass through living room that I'm not finished decorating (I'm changing the old table lamps and floor lamp since I accidentally got an oatmeal shade vs a white shade). I know I need throw pillows and art in the living and dining rooms, which will help add some life to these two rooms but I can't shake the feeling that an area rug in the living room would add that extra layer of softness that I'm missing. The issue is that it is a pass through, so our traffic pattern goes in between the loveseat and desk. I put a small area rug from another room just to see what it might look like and it certainly added something. Would an area rug just under the sofa and possibly end table work or would that just look strange? Is this a situation where you either have no rug or one that covers the whole room, due to the traffic pattern?
I'm hesitant to do a room sized rug bc I'd have to take a chance on matching the dining room rug I bought online...and I don't love covering that much of our wood floors. I could consider a rug from the same brand if that really is the right answer.
If I can't do a small rug and don't want to do the room sized rug, what would you recommend to break up some of the hard surfaces in the room? Am I missing some third option?

Comments (27)