SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

Bedroom furniture - seeking your tips/advice/wisdom

3katz4me
5 months ago

I haven't bought any for a very long time. We have queen bedroom "set" we bought in the 80s with a low-end sleep number mattress that we like. We are not moving our hodge-podge cheap bedroom furniture from the lake to the south so we need something new. With three cats sleeping on the bed, our bedroom is every bit a functional room and not a show place. I will probably get another sleep number mattress - the ability to make one side hard and not the other is good for us. I am a bit concerned about the company troubles at the moment but I'd just buy a basic mattress so not investing a fortune. I'm not inclined to get any kind of foam mattress after having a foam topper that was intolerable in the summer.

I'm sick to death of dust ruffles so I want some kind of platform bed - also a plus because I only need a mattress and won't need a sleep number base or a boxspring. I'm leaning toward an upholstered bed in part because when you run into the end of it I'm thinking you won't get hurt as bad as a harder one. I also like the idea of the storage beds but most of those are wood. We've never had a king size bed but we're getting one this time. I've been advised not to get a footboard because trying to tuck things under a king bed with a footboard is a PITA. We've always just had a headboard so I've never been into footboards (other than an antique brass bed in our guestroom).

As far as the rest of the bedroom furniture is concerned I'm fine with a reasonably priced, decent quality set of furniture - a couple nightstands, a dresser and probably a chest of drawers but I have to verify the space when I get there. I don't need heirloom quality furniture at this point in my life. I've been looking online but everything looks like fake wood - gray and weird white and brown finishes. I need to go to the bricks and mortar store this week and see what it looks like in person.

Comments (32)

• nicole___
    5 months ago
  • jb1586
    5 months ago

Just FYI. We had a Select Comfort mattress (the company name before they changed to Sleep Number), that was very old, but worked well for us. Last year when we upgraded to a king sized bedroom set, we went to look for a new Sleep Number mattress. Nothing is basic anymore. Even their least expensive mattress is quite costly, with many unnecessary bells and whistles. We ended up buying a conventional mattress, which we are happy with. YMMV.

• Related Discussions

New Bedroom Furniture

Q

Comments (8)
    Honestly I will never suggest any one to go and buy from this and that stores and these stuffs. That was the old time when our grand parents and parents were used to buy furniture once for their whole life. Now it is a new era and every one wants to change the settings of the place where they are living. So I think we should become designer at our own rather than to spend money on this type of ordinary stuff. If you are looking for two-chest type of accessories than it is quite easy to go for home made or old mattresses. Learn ideas instead of buying them. I am used to extract creative information through http://www.bedroommyplacewithstyle.com/ and YouTube videos and apply them at my own. I am saving half of money in this way.
    ...See More

Seeking Bedroom Curtain Help

Q

Comments (7)
    Good suggestions above to which I would add that a different lamp next to the bed is a good idea. I'd try to find something skinnier and more graceful, perhaps in clear glass. I would remove the plants and put some nice paintings on the walls. I'm sorry to say that your beautiful armoire really seems too large for this room.
    ...See More

Seeking Advice for Primary Bedroom - New Build

Q

Comments (2)
    To get as many ideas/combinations that suit your room/tastes, have you searched on line? Since your query is for bedroom sconces and headboard, look at bedrooms that feel similar to your choices so far. The headboard should be chosen first, as the sconces style/size will be very dependent on it and also depends on size of nightstands. To receive more helpful input on this forum, suggest providing pictures of the room/furniture and the fixture you purchased, for metal reference.
    ...See More

Seeking Expert Advice for Furniture arrangements

Q

Comments (15)
    Thank you all for the fantastic comments and suggestions! We truly appreciate the input. There are so many wonderful ideas that we're excited to incorporate. Firstly, we love the concept of a cozy TV corner, as our gatherings focus more on dinners than TV related events. The comment of keeping the windows clear is particularly on point - that is why we won t put heavy furntiture by the window. We're still exploring the best setup, debating between a corner sofa or a sectional area with the rest of the living space. we liked both suggestions of having 1/ a dining table parralel to the kitchen area - as such it can be an extension of the kitchen for a nice cooking workspace - or 2/ have the desk office area (as shown in the picture) as it would optimise the space. Regarding the master bedroom, it's pretty straightforward, but we're brainstorming different setups for the second room, which would be a mix of a second office (wfh) and and guest bedroom. Thanks again for your valuable feedback, and here's to a wonderful 2024!
    ...See More
  • amykath
    5 months ago

My close friend and her husband got a king sleep number bed and love it. They are definitely $$$!

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    5 months ago

@nicole__ - thanks for the link. For this purchase I need to see it in person - not going to buy sight unseen online. I do think for the most part you get what you pay for and that is awfully inexpensive.

@jb1586 - good to know. What kind of conventional mattress did you get? Did you buy it at a bricks and mortar store? I've been looking at those too and they are much less expensive. I'd be fine with conventional - just not the trendy foam thing.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    5 months ago

The pump and motor are now built into the "box" springs and don't sit on the floor anymore. Because of this, you need to buy their base which is pricey. We were going to replace ours in the fall but a not very fancy one with the padded bedframe on close out was going to be over 5K i believe. We bought a traditional mattress instead.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Okay @RNmomof2 zone 5 - now I'm heading down the traditional, conventional path. What kind of mattress did you buy? I've been looking at Sealy and Serta and they are pricey as well but at least don't require you to buy the base if you have a platform bed. I can see why Sleep Number is a troubled business. The article I read said people are no longer willing to pay their exorbitant prices. Count me among those people.

• Tina Marie
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

I cannot think of the brand of mattress we bought a few years ago. We have a metal bed with an adjustable base. The adjustable base is also a platform. I will say that mattresses seem much thicker now days! We have a firm and I do use a foam mattress pad and neither of us have felt it is hot (and we live in the south). It is covered with a mattress cover. We love the adjustable base.

As for furniture, I have never liked having a matching set. We have the metal bed and oak antique pieces (armoire - my husband outfitted to hold a tv and built shelves where I store mainly blankets and coverlets, dresser with mirror and a small table in front of a window. I can use that as a vanity and/or plant stand LOL). To offset all the wood (the metal bed is deep bronze, so basically brown), we bought two matching nightstands and had them painted cream/off-white. Everything (other than the bed), is high quality, solid wood. Just our preference. My MIL still has a bedroom "set" and my parents always did. : )

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    5 months ago

We bought a hybrid mattress and have been happy with it. It is much thicker than an older mattress which I was concerned about. The mattress is probably firmer than we (I) were used to but it's fine. The place where we got it from has a year switch out policy if you don't like the mattress.

We had an upholstered headboard mounted on the wall. I bought a wooden bedframe from Ama*** and we are very pleased with it. It is very sturdy and went together in a snap.

Bed frame

I have had several comforters on the bed and I just let them hang down over the edge of the mattress.

• nicole___
    5 months ago

I know THIS isn't what you want...but...the neighbors and I BOTH own THIS sleigh bed. It only has a mattress. The wood looks Very nice in person....and we've BOTH owned it for 5 years with no problems. $249 BY Ashley There just isn't much to them, which is the low cost. We both spent money on the new mattress. That's important! I purchased a Sealy pillowtop mattress. LINK

• Kswl
    5 months ago

We haven’t had a chest or anything with drawers in our bedroom since early in our marriage. All clothing is kept in the closet and we’ve used mostly California Closets (in one house a custom carpenter) to outfit the closet with as much drawer space as we need. This frees up the bedroom for a sitting area including a sofa and bookshelves, reading lamps and a coffeetable. We have enough room to dress in the closet and the bedroom is far more functional for it.

Nothing in our bedroom matches but I like to think it all goes nicely together. We have an off white French caned headboard that we continued to use when DH had back problems and we got a king mattress on box spring bases. One nightstand is a distressed painted white finish and the other is my mom’s vintage Baker tea server, also French in white with green and yellow bits. The sofa is upholstered in two plaid fabrics and the chair is a solid green velvet. Our coffeetable is a painted chest in shades of green and off white. At one end of the sofa is a revolving round library table in a fruitwood finish (holds books and photos) and at the other end is a bronze metal table with twig legs. One of the sofa fabrics is also stationary curtain panels, and the windows also have natural woven roman shades. Very eclectic, pieces chosen for beauty and utility, interesting and (I think) pleasing combination.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Tina Marie - I like solid wood furniture too - that is what our 80s bedroom furniture is. I've recently purchased some Amish made pieces (not bedroom) as that is the only beautiful quality wood furniture I could find. I have considered that for this bedroom but would prefer something less expensive and more immediately available if possible. I've done the antique thing all my life and at this point I'm ready to move on from that. I'm even parting with some pieces that have been in my life since childhood. All my relatives are dead so no one's feelings will be hurt - something that always concerned me in the past.

@nicole__ I've never purchased anything from Wayfair - just can't wrap my head around the idea that they offer 11,396 storage beds and some astronomical number of everything else. I wonder how much it costs to return a bed if you don't like it.

@Kswl - I'm mostly a function-oriented person vs. esthetic - you would probably be appalled at my simplistic decor. 😊 For us the function of a bedroom includes a bed for sleeping, nightstands for lamps, phones, ipads, etc. and furniture for clothing storage. We just don't sit around in our bedroom - lots of other spaces we prefer for that. Our new house has nice closets (his and hers which I LOVE) with built-ins but not of the size that would store all of our clothing. That's all we'll have though until I get some bedroom furniture so this is my first priority.

• Tina Marie
    5 months ago

@KSWL, I so agree about the drawers in closet. We have that too, but I like the "look" of a dresser and mirror. We keep more odds and ends in it. We do have two chairs in our bedroom, but no need for a sitting area with a sofa as our bedroom is off the great room and we also have a small den. It's only the two of us.

@3katz4me I'm sure you will find something. We have long loved antiques although we have only ONE family piece! We love antiques and love the hunt for each piece as well. Good luck on your search and be sure and share what you find!

• jb1586
    5 months ago

We got our mattress and an adjustable base, at Raymour and Flanigan, a furniture chain in the northeast. The mattress is a Beautyrest Harmony Lux plush mattress. We are very happy with it.

• Olychick
    5 months ago

With the whole family sharing the bed, do you have any thought of moving up to a king size? If you did that, you could get a split king, two extra long twins put together. Then you each can have the mattress firmness you prefer. I LOVE my adjustable bed, for reading in bed, or if I had a TV, watching TV, I would imagine.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    5 months ago

@Olychick - yes I mentioned in the original post that we are going to give it a go with a king but will try to keep it simple with regular vs. split and nothing adjustable.

• Olychick
    5 months ago

Oh, sorry, I missed that!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 months ago

Since brown furniture is still kinda out, if you like traditional furniture, you can find very good quality used/antique things at deep discounts to retail.

Just an example, a king sleigh bed, walnut. https://www.vendio.com/stores/stenellainteriors/item/-beds/61455ec-baker-milling-road-kin/lid=49626890

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    5 months ago

@mtnrdredux_gw - thanks mtn. I don't love super traditional but I'm cool with brown. I have been looking at local used sources online but haven't found anything yet but I'll keep looking. There is a nice consignment furnishings store in the area and I've been in there a couple times so may find something there. I just can't take months to get the bedroom done unlike the pieces I need for some other rooms.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 months ago

I've recently purchased some Amish made pieces (not bedroom) as that is the only beautiful quality wood furniture I could find.

I have considered that for this bedroom but would prefer something less expensive and more immediately available if possible.

I've done the antique thing all my life and at this point I'm ready to move on from that.

I do think for the most part you get what you pay for and that is awfully inexpensive.

I've been looking online but everything looks like fake wood - gray and weird white and brown finishes.

After I posted I looked back and saw you don't want "antiques;" not sure how you are defining that though. The bed i posted is 20 yo.

It seems like you are leaning toward an upholstered bed. With a dog, that would be a problem where they rub against the base, which over time would dirty it. That is why we didn't buy one. Would cats dirty it? Would a cat scratch it? If not, Id look at CB2 or PB for decent quality. It sounds like you don't want to spend too much or too little, not exactly sure where that lands but the quality from those two is fine for upholstery IMHO.

For case goods, if you want immediately available, inexpensive yet quality and in a "not weird" finish, again pre-owned is your best bet.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 months ago

don't love super traditional but I'm cool with brown.

So what style were the Amish pieces? What style do you like best?

PS Omg that bed!

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    5 months ago

@mtnrdredux_gw - for me antique = 75+ years old. 20 years - no problem but I'd want an entire bed including the mattress for less than nearly $5K. My cats wouldn't be a problem for an upholstered bed. I'm more concerned about humans leaning up against the headboard over time. I'm hoping once I get the POA info for my new place that there might be some kind of private online buy/sell function. I've seen lots of nice furnishings in real estate listings and no doubt some of these people are downsizing.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 months ago

There are slipcovered headboards, you might like that idea.

ETA - I replaced a Queen brass headboard in Maine with a padded headboard (for comfort) and ordered a chambray piped slip from here:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/697986924/headboard-slipcover-natural-linen-custom?ref=yr_purchases&variation0=1105418864

• jab60
    5 months ago

Spied these nice looking beds at High Point Market a couple of years ago. Maybe you would like something like them.

• salonva
    5 months ago

Our mattress is 33 years old. It's still pretty good, but I remember how tough it was when we first got new mattresses.and had to deal with the change.

Whenever we've been in an Ikea, DH is always laying down on their mattresses and prety sure when we replace ours, we will get Ikea. This is strictly for the mattress. I hear they are really pretty good- something to consider possibly. No suggestions for the headboard.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 months ago

The average lifespan of a mattress is seven to 10 years

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Our sleep number mattress is about 30 years old and still fine which is a big part of the reason we wanted another one. I really need to go look at some options in person.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 months ago

wow

• salonva
    5 months ago

I think the older mattresses had a lot more longevity to them . LIke everything else, they don't make'em like they used to. We do flip and rotate our mattress (not as often or on schedule as should be, but I understand that mattresses now are only usable on one side. I could be wrong and hope I'm corrected.

• Kswl
    5 months ago

3katz I’m sure your bedroom will be lovely! my point in describing our setup was that nothing matches— not a single thing matches the exact finish or wood species or color or material of anything else. We have furniture in our bedroom that is wood, painted wood, metal and upholstered. There’s no need to restrict your choices to all one wood finish or style or period. That said, if you start with the bed I would suggest one with a padded headboard and order a slipcover later for it from a vendor like the one Mtn linked to. That gives you something to sleep on in a neutral color, the ability to change it, and a good starting place to add almost anything.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    5 months ago

@Kswl - that's exactly what I'm thinking - a neutral fabric bed and I never thought about a slipcover. That's a great idea - thank you @mtnrdredux_gw - queen of slipcovers! There's a great consignment furniture store in my area where I could likely find the other bedroom furnishings I need in time. I do like an eclectic mix and as long as I have a bed I can make do for a while without the other stuff. i really should stop obsessing about this until I get there in January.

• jb1586
    5 months ago

3katz, our select comfort (sleep number) mattress is over 30 years old as well. it is now in our guest bedroom, and except for needing to replace an air chamber (a painter stepped down hard on it, causing a leak), it it’s still great, just the wrong size for us now.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!