SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shella_zhang

Looking for advice: crack on porcelain slab on fireplace wall

Shella Zhang
5 months ago

Hi,

We put two porcelain slabs on the wall above a gas fireplace. Even though it came out beautifully, one of the slabs (the one on the right) started cracking after a few uses of the fireplace. (first picture is the fireplace with two book-matched slabs, the second one shows the crack, which starts at the top right of the fireplace viewing window).

-- Any idea what might be causing it? -- Before the slabs go on to the wall, the fabricator said the wall was not smooth enough but he would work with the GC to make it smooth before the slabs go on. I did not pay attention whether and how they did it, but regretted that I did not ask specifically, and did not ask whether they should put on a thin cement backer

board to make it completely smooth.

-- Any idea whether and how we should fix it?

In addition, we have another fireplace, smaller, so only has one porcelain slab on the wall -- when the fabricator put on the slab, it was shattered. I then found out that a thin cemment board is required for the installation of that particular fireplace, so I asked them to add the cement backer baord first, then put on the slab. Generally, does a backer board help to ease the installation and avoid shattering during the process?

Thanks all!

Comments (5)