SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

Gift floof! Changing it up.

amylou321
5 months ago

So, I have a LOT of nieces and nephews. 15 total. However, much as I love them ALL, I only buy send birthday/Christmas stuff/cash to 2 of my nephews, as they are also my godsons. (There is no issue with this among my siblings or the other nieces and nephews. No one expects anyone to shell out for 15 kids every year)

Anyway, for Christmas specifically, in addition to the cash gift, I have always sent one of those big popcorn tins to the aforementioned nephews, as I remember that one of my sisters used to get one every year from HER godmother, and was always MORTALLY jealous of it. They have always liked it.

However, they both will be turning 14 this year (one just did a few days ago and the other will be in a few weeks), and I thought perhaps a little old for a popcorn tin. So, I was doing a little research and settled on sending a international snack subscription box instead. They send a box of snacks from other countries once a month. I need to do a bit more research into the different options available. I want the snacks to be fun and varied, without much waste. For example, I saw one of them sent grilled squid flavored potato chips from some Asian country. I feel like that would go to waste. But both of these nephews are open minded and enjoy trying new foods. I admit I do not know them extremely well, as they both live far away from me, one in Wisconsin and one in Colorado, and so I did ask their mothers if they would like that or the popcorn tin better, and also said if neither one was preferred that they were welcome to suggest something similar that they would enjoy, even if its just a gift card to a favored restaurant. I just wanted it to be like a small, fun thing that wont take up space around the house. Also, I have NO idea what teenage boys are into now, except teenage girls. And I am NOT gonna ship one of those to them.... So a food gift. Both mothers confirmed that my nephews would enjoy it.

I am trying to decide between services. A couple of these companies send snacks from 1 country every month. (UK one month, Korea the next,etc.) While some send a sort of mixture from various countries every month. So they might end up with a bag of twiglets and some hello kitty ramen at once. Not sure which one would be more enjoyable. I saw another one that also sends trivia and games from said countries, but they do not specify the age group the games are meant for. I feel like I personally would prefer one country at a time. But its not for me. I will try not to overthink it. They are both REALLY good kids and grateful for anything. I always overthink gifts for EVERYONE i get them for. I do not do gifts for many people, and if I love you enough to get you a gift, I want you to LOVE it.

Has anyone here ever sent one of these subscriptions before? Or have any suggestions for something similar?

Comments (13)