SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carrie_hearne

Bathtub, or Walk-in Shower w/ Linen Closet? VOTE on my DIY design POLL

Carrie Hearne
6 months ago
last modified: 6 months ago

I'm starting to think about my bathroom redesign project, and I'm trying to decide if I'm willing to forego the bathtub in my remodel. I have a small 2-bedroom 1-bath house, with me and my two dogs. I envision staying here another few years, so my redesign is focused on me and my needs, less so for resale considerations (though that's always a factor to a certain extent).

The existing bathroom is small, it's positioned as a "Jack-n-Jill" in between the two bedrooms. The doors are narrow 24" louvered doors. It has a small single sink vanity, wall mirror, older commode, older linoleum floor, a cast iron tub (built in; not claw foot) with standard shower curtain rod, ventilation/fan, and lighting above the mirror. Pretty simple layout.

I'm trying to decide if I want to pull out the tub and replace it with a smaller walk-in tiled shower, plus use a little extra space gained for a small linen storage area. Currently linens pull from one of the (already small) bedroom closets). I rarely use the bathtub, though I do soak in it maybe 2-4 times a year, and every once in a while I'll use the tub to soak my dogs' paws if there's a wound (very rare).

Re: Lighting, one item I'm thinking about adding in: operable small rectangular window up high above shower wall OR sun tunnel (e.g. Velox).

Another consideration -- if I forego the bathtub, perhaps I could get a jacuzzi/outdoor hot tub that fills that void of an indoor bathtub, at least for me and guests (not addressing the dog soaking, of course ; ) ).

Here are some design boards I've created. Comment with your suggestions below, and take a look at the POLL and vote for your favorite design!

Click on the link below to my newly remodeled kitchen for context of my interior design style.

https://www.hausofleon.com/projects/bryan-park

(and related kitchen renovation story here: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6324715/the-big-reveal-and-reflection)

Thanks for reading!

-Carrie

Richmond, Virginia

Small Bathroom Renovation

This Old House

Option 1: Terra cotta floor, white subway tiles, wallpaper and colorful vanity
Option 2: B+W pattern floor, green surround tiles, wallpaper and oak vanity
Option 3: B+W hex tile floor, neutral tiles, neutral wallpaper, oak vanity
Option 4: Terrazzo floor, white tiles, maximalist wallpaper, oak vanity
Option 5: neutral floor, medium hex wall tiles, botanical wallpaper, colorful vanity
Option 6: Terra cotta floor, white subway tiles, botanical wallpaper, oak vanity

Comments (3)