SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beckington

Tile layout help for small bathroom floor please (photos)!

beckington
6 months ago

I'm thrilled to be getting my small ensuite bathroom redone but am having trouble deciding on layout of tile. The room is basically 4 foot by 7.5 foot with the shower in an alcove extra to that. The issue is that there is 6" of floor space in that alcove that will be tiled right in front of the shower. The tiles are 8x8".

I've attached photos to help - sorry all the stuff is in there in the way!! The toilet will go alongside the side wall next to the shower - so when you are looking into the bathroom, the back 4' long wall is 24" vanity and then toilet. (Yes, it's tight but that's how it was before and it was fine. Old house!) The side wall along the toilet is 43" before you hit the shower alcove.

The tiler has suggested two options.

1. Have full tile along the shower. That means there'd be about a 2" sliver of tile along the side toilet wall.

2. Have full tile along the side toilet wall. That means the tile next to the shower will be cut off with 2" missing.

I included photos to give an idea of what the tiles would look like cut at different points.

What do you think is the best option? Is having 2" slivers of tile going to create any problems other than it possibly looking odd?

My other question is about the door. Should there be full tiles right along the doorway and then the ones along the wall next to it are cut? The doorway floor is about an inch in from the wall, if that makes sense. (The carpet is being replaced!)

Thank you!!

Comments (3)