SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
max_hallmark

Major kitchen renovation and potential timeline issues

Max Hallmark
6 months ago

Hey guys, my girlfriend and I purchased a home a couple months back that needs some type of love and care in every room of the house. Thankfully I'm pretty handy having owned homes before and being a hobbyist woodworker. We have a pretty large sum of money from the sell of our homes that we plan on putting into this new place. I'm doing what I can to save us money so those projects which are beyond my expertise or aren't allowed by the homeowner (200a panel upgrade) can be offset. The home was built in the 50s and is a colonial revival on a charming tree lined street in Massachusetts. Seriously looks like a damn postcard. Given the price of the house putting a nice kitchen in with custom cabinetry and panel ready appliances won't price us out of the neighborhood.

We're currently working with a designer and have a contractor lined up to start the kitchen job in early december. I'm kind of freaking out because we haven't picked out appliances, gotten samples from Cabinet Joint, picked out stone...the list goes on. Basically all we have is a general idea of the kitchen layout, color, and style of the cabinets and island. IMO the rough draft of cabinets will require a few iterations to get done correctly and given the size of the kitchen and money being spent I would rather delay if necessary to not have regrets. We intend on doing a cream color for the cabinets and a QSWO island. I think the one cabinet that goes all the way to the countertop on the side where the range is would look cool as eiher QSWO or some other complimentary color.

I'll include our initial cabinet sketches and would appreciate the group collective input.

Ways i plan on saving money for this project: Do the majority of the demo myself excluding taking out the wall from the adjoining room since its load bearing. 3k saving

Order RTA inset cabinets from Cabinet joint to assemble myself. 15k saving

Potentially install cabinetry as this was almost a 9k quote. I should be able to get another set of experienced hands to help with this. She is kind of pushing back on this since I have never done something this large of scope.

Changes I think would be beneficial. The bank of cabinets where the double oven and refrigerator are located: Make 30"depth to accommodate a larger refrigerator and also incorporate an appliance garage to the left of the refrigerator with some doors that fold into the side when open. Increase the uppers on this side to 18".

Potentially add a small bar sink under the larger bank of open shelving as we plan on having a coffee /bar station in that area.

Things im conflicted about:

I love cooking and do basically all of it aside from her preparing chicken nuggets in a toaster oven for her kid. Given that I think its fair that my preference for cooking appliances be considered. Ive had gas for the last decade and love it, but I like the safety, ease of cleanup and efficiency of induction. I've done a bit of research and prior to going down the rabbit hole of induction I was leaning towards a 36" thermador gas cooktop. For induction I like the bosch benchmark, or the bluestar induction with knobs. Pretty big differential between the 3, but I think all of my choices have their merits. Still so many decisions...

A big question for the group. Does anyone else feel we're rushing the timeline given how many decisions and finishes have yet to be decided on?

Comments (24)