SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_84916449

Which North American spruce species are and aren't juglone-tolerant?

Lucas Moss
6 months ago

I'm wondering which spruce species native to North America are and aren't juglone-tolerant. I have some potted white spruce saplings that I plan to plant when they get a little bigger, but looking out for hickory and walnut trees is a tedious task. I may also look into red spruce and/or Martinez spruce in the future, and I'm open to propagating more blue spruce if mine continues to resist the onslaught of bagworms that nearly took it down a few years ago without us having to put in effort save it.

I'm less concerned about the shade under walnut/hickory trees than juglone, though. If we really had to, we could remove the canopy cover, but juglone persists in soil for years. Plus, spruce trees tend to be more shade-tolerant than pines, even those like blue spruce that grow in desert oases; that becomes especially true for things like white spruce and red spruce (the two I'm most concerned about) that are climax species in humid areas.

Thanks for your input! I'd love to hear back from you. I don't want to plant invasive Norway spruces nor anything that'd be killed by the Tennessean heat, so hearing that white and/or red spruce is juglone-tolerant would be a relief from having to check every acre of grove/jungle for walnut and hickory trees until I find a place. It could also be a useful guide for others that are looking to plant native heat-tolerant spruce trees like me or facing some other limiting environment like arid Colorado.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor