SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Tweaking a bran muffin recipe?

I’m pursuing a great bran muffin recipe, that I can make all winter long.

I posted a few weeks ago asking for suggestions, then copied all the ones that sounded good on other threads.

I made one of the bran cereal ones first. Cook’s Illustrated recipe. It was good, but it took a long time to make, and used the mixer too.

Next I looked for one that used actual bran, AND was simpler to prepare. I made the following one: which is ALSO good. Neither recipe is great.

I’m thinking how to tweak this one, to make it better: but I’m no food scientist. If I change one thing, I don’t know what else might need changing.

For example: I like the flavor of molasses in bran muffins: but if I add molasses, do I reduce both liquids and sugar?

Also: this calls for white flour: could I sub all whole wheat? Half whole wheat?

What would it be like with yogurt instead of buttermilk? My banana bread recipe uses yogurt.

What about adding wheat germ?

Thanks!

Classic Bran Muffins

Prep Time: 15 mins Cook Time: 15 mins Total Time: 30 mins

Ingredients

• 1 ½ cups wheat bran
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • ⅔ cup brown sugar
  • ⅓ cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup raisins

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.

2. Mix wheat bran and buttermilk together in a large bowl; let stand for 10 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, beat brown sugar, oil, egg, and vanilla together in a separate bowl until light and fluffy; stir into buttermilk mixture.

4. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together; stir into buttermilk mixture until just blended. Fold in raisins; spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full.

5. Bake in the preheated oven until tops spring back when lightly pressed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Cool in the tin briefly, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Comments (6)