SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dawn_mancini

I need help deciding if this marble will be "too much" with my floor.

Dawn Mancini
7 months ago

I am in the middle of a master bath total remodel. The floor and tile are set not yet grouted. I have fallen in love with a remnant of Clouds marble. I just don't know if it's too much with the floor. My other option is to go with plain quartz. I would appreciate any comments. Thanks!

Comments (49)

• Lyn Nielson
    7 months ago

Looks great! Go for it!

Dawn Mancini thanked Lyn Nielson
  • Kendrah
    7 months ago

Great slab. But, I would not do it with your floor and shower tile and I don't like it with the dark grain of your vanity either. Sadly, I'd skip the marble.

Dawn Mancini thanked Kendrah
  • Related Discussions

Help! I need to decide all of my lighting by toinght!

Q

Comments (1)
    8' ceilings
    ...See More

I need help in deciding what chairs i should get for my dining table

Q

Comments (1)
    Check out the Home Decorating Forum. This forum is mainly about noisy neighbors or difficult landlords.
    ...See More

Need help with my living room! Too much brown! Lonely loveseat!

Q

Comments (92)
    Denise, here is a link about lighting. That lamp, to me, is not appropriate for the space without having other lighting, not because of the size, but because the light doesn't point downward. It points upward/outward. It is the type of light you use for ambient lighting of the room. JMO. (Edit: I have to admit I am not a fan of torchiere-type lighting in any form at all, so this may impact my view of that particular floor lamp) Groveraxle, and others on Houzz, are much more knowledgeable in this area than I am....please read these houzz articles to start. [https://www.houzz.com/magazine/decorating-101-how-to-plan-your-homes-lighting-stsetivw-vs~12803740[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/decorating-101-how-to-plan-your-homes-lighting-stsetivw-vs~12803740) [https://www.houzz.com/magazine/get-turned-on-to-a-lighting-plan-stsetivw-vs~30716408[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/get-turned-on-to-a-lighting-plan-stsetivw-vs~30716408) [https://www.houzz.com/magazine/10-ways-to-get-your-lighting-right-stsetivw-vs~10558866[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/10-ways-to-get-your-lighting-right-stsetivw-vs~10558866) Take the time to go through the "Houzz stories" so you can fine tune your knowledge on lighting. Take the time to speak to a lighting professional. It is one of the areas where I see many people forget, or don't know how, to address in their homes.
    ...See More

I really need help in deciding on hardwood floor colour, etc

Q

Comments (5)
    "I did put pics in but must have put them in incorrectly?" Since they are not showing up I would say that is a resonable assumption...........
    ...See More
  • ShadyWillowFarm
    7 months ago

Nope. You already have a lot going on there with variations and gray colors.

Dawn Mancini thanked ShadyWillowFarm
  • PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    7 months ago

I like it, it's not too much once the sinks are in on vanity. It add richness to the vanity and the rest of the materials.

Dawn Mancini thanked Skippack Tile & Stone
  • PRO
    DeWayne
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

Love the marble. Just not with that dark gray vanity. I'd paint the vanity and do the marble. Or strip off that stain and just do natural wood. All together, with all the other choices, there's just too much gray, and not enough natural warm materials.

Dawn Mancini thanked DeWayne
  • Shasta
    7 months ago

I think that looks like quartzite, not marble, which is actually more durable than marble. The amount of movement in the porcelain(?) floors doesn’t work with the stone movement. I would look for a less busy flooring and let the lovely stone countertop be the star.

Dawn Mancini thanked Shasta
  • Shasta
    7 months ago

I just saw you already have the floor installed so, no I unfortunately wouldn’t use that slab.

Dawn Mancini thanked Shasta
  • littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    7 months ago

Nope. Too much gray.

Dawn Mancini thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • ci_lantro
    7 months ago

No. The floor is busy, the wood in the vanity is busy. The slab is busy. And too much gray.

Dawn Mancini thanked ci_lantro
  • shirlpp
    7 months ago

Another - No!

Dawn Mancini thanked shirlpp
  • Dawn Mancini
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thanks to everyone. I truly appreciate the comments. I think I knew it all along. I just love that stone!! Lesson learned.

• Dawn Mancini
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Any suggestions on the vanity top? I am putting a 42-inch round black-rimmed mirror centered above the vanity with sconces. I am using black faucets and brass cabinet pulls.

• PRO
    Lomo
    7 months ago

Keep the marble. Ditch the muddy gray vanity. Or do white and plain for the top, on a different vanity. The vanity is the fly in the ointment of the whole.

• HU-227031627
    7 months ago

I love the vanity and the slab. I think the floor would work too if you used a lighter grout that blends into the tile rather than contrasts. The Pros hate grey for some reason (trends that rise and fall, probably). Anyway, you live there and not them, so if you like gray, go for gray.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 months ago

No...............sorry.

PS...

The pro's do not hate gray. The pro's hate gray used where it doesn't work, They hate gray overkill, they hate gray wood floors which NEVER worked and were a fad- a brief moment of dumb in time.

Pros look at a whole. of anything. Don't isolate surfaces, colors, finishes. They all live together. Happily.....or not.

I'd freshen that vanity to white in a heartbeat: )

• PRO
    Ariana Designs LLC
    7 months ago

The slab looks absolutely beautiful however I have to agree with everyone here, I think it will be a bit too much on the vanity I would definitely go for something more simple perhaps taking a color that already exist in the space, maybe something form the veins on the floor to tie it all together.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 months ago

I am curious about what the shower floor will be and why it is not in yet.. I like all the same tile for bathroom floors and shower walls so IMO you already have enough going on so keep the counter simple. As for the rest I happen to love gray have always and always will. I have gra toned floors in my main floor I loved them 16 yrs ago and still do. Beige has never been a choice for me ever for anything. I find if cooltones are what you like in even jewellery then grays are the perfect choice. Colors to me are not trends but what you love.

• eld6161
    7 months ago

I agree with the majority. If the vanity was white, maybe.

Yes to a solid white quartz.

Patricia, they are probably just protecting the floor during construction.

• Dawn Mancini
    Original Author
    7 months ago

The floor of the vanity IS covered because of construction but it is the same as the back of the niche.....gray! A HUGE dilemma for me. The vanity is brutal to return although I agree it is too much gray. I just removed the white built-in vanity that was there. Looks like a failure on my part this time. I did see a piece of white quartz with a slight gold vein. Unfortunately, I did not take a picture. Would appreciate any help or comments I can get. Thanks to all!

• auntthelma
    7 months ago

Outlyer here. I think it would be very dramatic.

• eld6161
    7 months ago

No to anything extra markings. You have movement in the floor, movement in the wood grain in the vanity.

Solid white quartz is readily available but you have to decide how bright.

I’m doing a bright white Thassos quartz top in my hall bathroom.

• elunia
    7 months ago

What solid surface are you using for the shower sills? usually, this is repeated in the countertop.

• Kate
    7 months ago

I agree with some other posters a solid quartz counter and some color on the walls.

• HU-227031627
    7 months ago

What about distressed white wash on the vanity since you don't like the color. Easy to do.

• njmomma
    7 months ago

Love your vanity! Love your choice for floor and shower.

Pick white for vanity top!

• cpartist
    7 months ago

Agreewith DeWayne and Lomo. Paint the vanity and use that gorgeous stone. It is NOT too busy with the tile. The problem is the vanity

• cpartist
    7 months ago

Know too that most people on the forum are afraid of combining patterns. Even when they do work.

• kculbers
    7 months ago

Marble is porous; not water resistant. I would choose a solid quartz counter. Quartz is water resistant; does not need sealing, easy clean up with dishsoap and water. Best of luck on your journey!

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    7 months ago

At first I thought it would go but....

It's just not quite right - sorry

• ci_lantro
    7 months ago

And the small hex tile shower floor isn't part of the picture^^. Which is yet another pattern.

• cpartist
    7 months ago

Except Debbie no one is going to see the counter upright like that

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    7 months ago

No they won't - just putting in for comparison to vanity since that was brought up - no different than if all the pieces were laying down against a slab to see if they would go .

• cpartist
    7 months ago

Very true

• Dawn Mancini
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thanks all! Quite the dilemma. Now I hate the vanity but I can't send it back and really don't like the idea of painting. Way over budget already. I'm going to have to go with a plain countertop I'm afraid. When I bought the floor I only saw a couple of pieces and didn't see the ones with so much color going on. Bad decisions. Thanks again!

• njmomma
    7 months ago

It will look beautiful with a plain countertop. Don’t give up on the vanity. I like it! Once all is done and accessories are in place, towels and all. You will think differently.

• Dawn Mancini
    Original Author
    7 months ago

I am thinking of painting the vanity a very dark color. I found a piece of white quartz with just one vein of a very light grey and one very thin bronze color, just to give it some interest. Thanks to all who are helping me here!! This has been a difficult one for me. I have SEVERAL successful projects that I am proud of. This one is just throwing me a curveball!!!!

• shirlpp
    7 months ago

Painting the vanity a very dark color in what color family? Blue?

• cpartist
    7 months ago

If you paint the vanity, keep the beautiful marble counter. The only issue is the vanity.

• Dawn Mancini
    Original Author
    7 months ago

I'm thinking of going very dark almost black on the vanity., Brass pulls, Large black framed round mirror, and black and brass sconces. I am second-guessing myself on everything. I think the floor and the grout are really my problem.

• Jean
    7 months ago

What color fixtures were you planning? ORB? And the sink, White? Or Vessel? I can mock it up, just need details.

Darkened the vanity, slab top :

Darkened the vanity, White top:

• cpartist
    7 months ago

Jean's mockups show how the slab top works so well with the floor versus the white sticking out like a sore thumb.

• Shasta
    7 months ago

The paint on your walls has some yellow on my screen, especially next to the cool white shower tile. It doesn't pair well with your decor. I wonder if someone could suggest a good wall color that could facilitate your decisions. The white countertop may look very different with a new backdrop.

• Dawn Mancini
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thank you all.! I appreciate your input. To answer a few questions. I was going for an organic vibe as pictured by Kendra. The walls do not have a yellow cast but not crazy about that on the wall either. The wall tile is a taupe gray. My faucets are one-hole black. I have a 42-inch round black-rimmed mirror and brass and black long sconces. I am considering painting the vanity either a dark charcoal or a dark nautical blue but not navy. I'm pretty decided on keeping the counter light or white for contrast and pick up on the floor color. This has been a painful process! I have never had such issues with any of my decorating/reno projects. Problem is I have to have this done before November 10. My daughter is getting married and all the bridesmaids will be staying here the night before and I will need all bathrooms available! No pressure here! HA!

• Dawn Mancini
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Jean, thank you for the pictures it helps so much to actually visualize. Could you possibly make the vanity in a nautical blue? It would be so helpful!!!!!

• Jean
    7 months ago

Sure. Post in a paint color/s, faucet, mirror, I can pop them all on in a jiffy.

Dawn Mancini thanked Jean
  • Dawn Mancini
    Original Author
    7 months ago

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Don't know how to reduce the size. Sorry.

• Dawn Mancini
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Oh one more thing. I have champagne brass pulls on the vanity now.

• Jean
    6 months ago

Here you go. In the last picture of the vanity, the tile looks much more taupe than the previous pics. I split the difference. Also it looked like two sink bases, so I put a mirror and lights on each side.