SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nyc128

Help on redesigning a 1960s kitchen layout!

Mike
7 months ago

I'm looking for feedback on a kitchen layout that was drawn up for me at Lowe's. I've attached that mock up, an overall mock-up of the first floor for more context and a photo of what it is today. Any and all feedback is helpful! Overall thoughts:

• Our goal is to modernize what is a 1960s kitchen, adding more counterspace and aiming for a traditional / elegant / simple look.
  • We're combining what was a separate kitchen and dining room into a single space (total space now being 13'x23'6"). We have access under the kitchen in a basement and can move plumbing around as needed. We're also enclosing a slider to gain wall / cabinet space.
  • We're a family of 3 and tend to congregate in the kitchen though usually only one of us cooking. We love the idea of having an island in the kitchen for prep space and for others to sit around if someone is cooking. Otherwise, we're pretty flexible on layout.
  • We entertain from time to time but not something we do very often.

On the Lowe's mock-up, we already know we're going to change the following:

• Swap the dishwasher to the left side of the sink and the garbage disposal to the right so we have more counter space between the sink and stove. The window placement at the sink can be changed since we're enclosing the slider. We may also shrink the cabinet to the left of the stove to add a few more inches to the right to gain prep space in the triangle.
  • Sink the fridge into the wall so that we can have a full size fridge appear like a counter depth. Behind the fridge is a smallish pantry. We're going to eat into this a couple of inches so we can fit a larger fridge with better aesthetics.
  • There's no microwave in the mock-up. We're currently planning to put it in the island but not 100%. We don't often use a microwave so we're struggling a bit on where to place it.
  • It's not super clear but the bottom right of the Lowe's mock-up are open hallways to other rooms.
  • We'd likely move the island slightly closer to the stove side so that we gain the inches behind the seating. We considered if we put cabinets on the wall behind the seating but think the floorplan would get really cramped.

Comments (6)