SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abigail_carson88

Beginner upgrading 1960's bathroom, Help!

Abigail Carson
3 years ago

My husband and I recently purchased a 1965 house with great bones. Neither of us have owned properties in the past so our arsenal of tools are sparse. We have 2 bathrooms that could use some love (and reconfiguration) but that we do not have a huge budget for upgrading (we have a complete kitchen reno planned that we are dedicating our funds to). As a general overview, we wont be reconfiguring the bathrooms, but I'd like to paint the walls and cabinets, resurface the cabinets to a shaker style, add new cabinet hardware and update light fixtures; use rust oleum to paint over the beige tile and tub in the one bathroom; install a new vent (which is currently vented to the attic and will need to be vented through the roof); resurface counters with an epoxy; and maybe do a peel and stick flooring.

1. What software do you like to play around with for design and layout? I don't have drawings for the house and would like to put together a 3D plan myself to play around with remodeling.

2. Suggestions on a saw for a beginner to cut materials to resurface cabinets that will also serve as a staple tool for future projects? We don't have an abundance of space to store tools so I want to make sure I purchase a versatile tool, but also one that will allow me to easily cut straight lines as an amateur DIYer (I'm thinking a sliding miter saw)

3. Suggestions on where to purchase inexpensive good cabinet hardware and light fixtures? I've purchased hardware from Amazon and Lowes in the past but wanted to see if any experts out there had particular sellers or other places they recommend looking beyond the obvious?

4. Advice on brands of bathroom fans for a very humid climate? The fan that is installed died and was only vented to the attic, not through the roof. Since the fan has died, our walls are sweating after showers and I need to get this fixed asap. Being a beginner I'm petrified to cut a hole in my roof. Would you recommend a beginner hire a handyman to vent through the roof?

5. Any advice from those that have painted/resurfaced countertops and used peel and stick floors? What did you use? Did it last? Was it relatively easy to do?

6. Suggestions on color scheme for the walls, cabinet, flooring, and new rugs. I like neutrals and blues. I've put up paint samples and have found I like SW Agreeable gray, SW Alabaster, or SW Silver Strand for the walls.

Advice on any of this is greatly appreciated!

Comments (14)