SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Everything you ever wanted to know about frybread

plllog
8 months ago
last modified: 8 months ago

Amazon has been doing a much better job than 20 years ago at feeling more like a bookstore where one can browse and find treasures. This one arrived last night, just ahead of the storm. It's written by a man who claims not to be a writer--in this book, at least, it serves him well. This is more of a monograph than a regular book, laid out logically in the way one might do a thesis, and it's devoid of babble. The typesetting carries on this feeling, as if it were formatted by academic journal standards, though the author's bio lists him as an artist member of the Indian Arts and Crafts Association, and former truck driver.

My mother loved frybread, and for her no drive from Phoenix to Tucson was complete without a trip to the Tohono O’odham Nation museum at the cultural center, to admire the art, and fry bread at the Papago Café. When she was long past travelling, I was always looking for treats to make for her, and used Annie's recipe [correction: Annie reminds me below that it was 2ManyDiversions’ Cherokee grandmother's recipe] to make frybread tacos that pleased her greatly. That's what made me buy this book on impulse. I'm so glad I did!

You can see the (informative) table of contents on the Amazon Look Inside. It includes a few pages of history of fry bread, lists of Native American foods and food availability, culture, the role of diabetes, various lists and tables of cooking details, etc., etc., and seventyleven different frybread recipes, many by region or nation, some just numbered. And the blurb says, "A portion of the proceeds from the sale of this book is donated to Diabetes and health programs for Native peoples, specifically programs for children, when possible."

Annie's (I presume Michigan) [2Many's] recipe fried up so close to our memories of Navajo and Tohono O’odham (Papago) that even without careful comparison, I have to believe that as I have read elsewhere, the variation isn't all that big, but the fact that there are so many different versions is eye opening. Most of the pages are stacks of frybread recipes. I am a total outsider. All of my grandparents are immigrants, but I appreciate the cultures of the original peoples and respect the people themselves. For me, the book isn't about making scads of frybread. I admire the research and dedication that went into this, the simplicity of the presentation, and if my purchase can help the author's cause, all the better.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES