WANTED: Everything You Wanted to Know .........................

ann_t

.........about your partner but were afraid to ask...........!!!!

Okay, this is the place to share some information that will help your partner get to know you a little better. Please don't turn this in to a "Wish" list of items. Most of us like to gather information on our partners by reading some of their posts. It is amazing what you can find out by doing a search not just on the Cooking Forum but on some of the other forums your partner might post too.

But it does help if your partner posts a few things that you might not be able to find out any other way. This is a summer swap so things to include are what kind of summer dining or entertaining do you do. Do you like patio dining, picnics. BBQing? What are the colours of your dining room kitchen or patio furniture. Family members? Allergies or religious restrictions?

And if you are going to be on vacation during this time period please post the dates you will be absent so that your partner will be able to plan accordingly.

Don't forget that this is a MINI Summer Swap which means 5 Items or less. $30.00 Minimum plus shipping and the deadline for shipping is July 22nd. You can still sign up until Thursday June 15th. I'll try to get partners assigned and the emails out by Sunday June 18th if not before.

Ann

SaveComment97Like
Comments (97)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Terri_PacNW

Here's me in a nutshell. Any problems contact Lindainct, she pegged me on the last swap. ~wink~

Kitchen is Mexican Chile(basically Paprika)and my new appliances are black and stainless. I don't do magnets, because I don't want them on the new fridge. LOL

Dining room colors are basically spicey/fiery colors that match the kitchen, but I do accent both spaces with green (usually a yellowy green)

We do BBQ on the deck. We don't eat out there that much, however there is plenty of seating and a large table.

I'm looking forward to berry season, so I can make a fresh supply of freezer jams and some canned.

I like to entertain. It's usually a 8 adults and a ton of kids. (Our friends have 3-4 kids like we do, we have 3.)

My guys love sun tea, SUGARED. (blech)

Save    
chancesmom

We eat outside lots in our short season! We have a small table on our deck just outside the back door, (fits the 3 of us most evenings) and a larger 8 seater patio set down off the deck in the back yard, it is two tone grey shades. We use a bunch of muticolour plastic plates that I bought for a party and plastic outside all the time. We bbq a lot. Dave is the main bbqer, many burgers, sausages, chicken, pork and some steak. We do alot of veggie type things too.

We entertain almost every weekend and if it is not too hot we enjoy a later hot tub with our guests.

My kitchen is beech Ikea cabinets and greens and browns. I enjoy a variety of cocktails, and red wine. We have a short summer season here in Norhtern Ontario, and we try to make the best of it.

janet

Save    
craftyrn

We live a very casual lifestyle-- only DH & myself at home now-- in what is suppose to be our "retirement" home -- built in 1990-- 5 acres out in the boonies of rural CNY Fingerlakes area -- most of our meals & entertaining during summer months are out on the back deck & back yard -- where the if needed picnic tables are put out-- weather permitting-- & there's were I have my morning tea-- . We also do alot of "bring a dish " gatherings at family & friends homes during the summer months. And then there's Our Camp ( acre clearance at edge of NYS Pine forest preserve ) which is even more casual & laid back & really in the boonies -- has large redwood deck / porch wrap around , charcoal & gas grills , BBQ pit in yard , redwood picnic tables , redwood Adirondick chairs & a zillion poly chairs.

No allergies -- tho I don't do "Spicy hot " well-- Hubby does tho . Do try to stick to a bit healthier diet -- lower salt , lower cholesterol & fat for everyday meals . But when entertaining that goes by the wayside as long as there's a few "healthy " choices included for DH.

Diane

Save    
teresa_nc7

Most of my entertaining is for family, casual, some cooking on the grill in the summer. I pretty much have all the kitchen stuff I could ever need.

The latest collectible is the red/pink transferware that I am scouting for in TJ Maxx and Marshall's, etc. The great thing is I'm mixing and matching all patterns. Here is a photo to explain.

I love ingredients - different vinegars, spice/herb blends, homemade jams/jellies/relish, hot sauce, etc. Make my chocolate dark, my coffee unflavored, and my wine red. I love regional food products and anything from Trader Joe's.

Guess you could say I am really easy to please - I'll enjoy and appreciate anything a swap partner wants to send me.

Teresa

Save    
Terri_PacNW

Teresa, your table setting is lovely.

Save    
annie1992

I'll second that "very casual lifestyle" that Diane mentioned, LOL.

I have a picnic table outside, and a pool in the back yard, with very little time to use either, although I do burn something into charcoal regularly on my old grill.

I like coffee and tea, but don't care for wine. I mostly drink tea because coffee upsets my sometimes crabby stomach. I like some heat, but not extremely hot and spicy. I'm not allergic to anything and I'll try nearly anything at least once.

My kitchen has honey maple cabinets with 70s orange formica countertops. I hate them, but I love the brick. My house has no discernible style other than "mostly second hand". I don't collect anything in particular but I'd really like to collect $100 bills and I don't have any hobbies. I'm boring. :-)

I live with my daughter Ashley, who is 18, the Dead Cat from Hell and my beloved WonderWeiner. Ashley loves chocolate, the WeinerDog loves food and the Dead Cat hates everything.

I help my father run the family farm, where I have horses, a huge organic garden, a couple of fruit trees so I can press my own cider and more work than absolutely necessary. I can, freeze, jelly and pickle every darned thing I can get my hands on.

I've been here for a long time and post a lot. Yup, I'm easy. LOL

Annie

Save    
stacy3

Diane, your home is lovely - I love that basket thingy for the extra toilet tissue roll!

I live in a small town with no access to Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Penzey's or any of the other cool things like that.

Our home is Victorian, we love to do casual entertaining - summer consists of our smallish pool in the backyard.

It is me, DH - Scott, DS - Will, DDog - Sammy, and our goldfish - 007.

I love vintage and new and definitely artsy type stuff. Pottery, anything - my home is kind of eclectic. Love getting stuff representative of other parts of the country or world. DH travels lots so we have lots of "things" from other places - always like to see more.

No allergies or restrictions. We love dry wine and trying new things. I'm not even close to being a great cook, but love to try if it's not too complicated. We don't drink much "flavored" stuff - like coffee.

Here is my kitchen

black, stainless, gold, with red accents.

Here is my china cabinet w/ dining room colors -
[

](http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=10&imgid=155638306)

And here is my rather nondescript patio.

I don't really have any cool outdoor serving stuff - Shaun sent me some wonderful colorful little cutting board - serving things a few swaps ago and I love them, but I usually resort to paper plates. I do already have a selection of plastic wine glasses - those were a necessity - .

Any cool serving pieces are always welcome as most of my stuff is more functional than aesthetically pleasing. I would love to do more with presentation than I currently do.

I will keep thinking...and add more later!

Stacy

Save    
Lars

We (DB and I) like to barbeque, but we have all the standard BBQ equipment, such as long tongs, long turner, wire basket, etc. Food allergies - milk/lactose, although I can eat butter, yogurt, buttermilk, and hard cheeses. As for preferences, I would mention that I do not like sweet pickles, Miracle Whip, or sweet mustard, although I do like sweet desserts. I like trying anything different or unusual. Dining room color changes with the tablecloth, and so that is not an issue.

Lars

Save    
Gina_W

Tomorrow my 70s kitchen gets demolished and I will be putting

in its place.

So for the duration, I'm cooking out of my living room. I have a small wet bar with hot and cold water and believe it or not, I completely forgot about it until this weekend! I took all the booze out and it's now my kitchen sink and storage. Someday I'll be demolishing that stupid wetbar too - but thank goodness I have it right now.

It's me and DH and a spoiled weenie-dog. We like everything. We do watch refined carbs but there are always exceptions - and swaps are definitely for exceptions!

I love homemade stuff since I don't can or anything. So if you do - I'm too easy!

We started eating out on the patio last night. Friends bought Thai food over. Thank goodness it's summer.

Save    
alison

It's just me and a cat in my small apartment. When I say small, I mean small, and the kitchen is even smaller, probably 6'x8' if you took out all the appliances and counters. I obviously love all kinds of spices and seasonings:

And have done a pretty good job of packing a lot in a little space!

And that doesn't give you a shot of all the things that are hanging on/over the stove! Obviously, I'm even pickier than Alton about making sure things triple- and quadruple-task!

I spend a lot of time outdoors in the garden, but I don't have much room to "entertain" back there -- only one place to sit! But I do like hanging out on the front porch with my neighbors on summer evenings. And I love trying out new recipes and bringing dishes into work, where I have an always willing panel of taste-testers.

I've quite drinking coffee, and have yet to find a good hot beverage substitute. (Most tea seems too tame!) I'm more likely to drink beer than wine. I like spicy and flavorful, but I'm not crazy about really hot foods/flavorings. I was recently given a refurbished ice cream maker and am enjoying experimenting with new flavors.

I love Middle Eastern food, and use elements of that in my cooking. I've been doing a lot more Thai/Vietnamese food, and exploring the cuisines of the Carribbean and South America.

My 8'x10' dining room is blue/green/khaki with oak furniture, and my same-size living room is burgundy/sage green/khaki with darker rattan. I love gardening, reading and hockey, but working for a public radio station means I don't have much money and even less time -- my favorite appliance purchase in recent years has been my Food Saver -- on the weekend I like to cook up big batches of food and seal them in individual portions, so I can easily grab them for lunch or dinner. But I can always use more suggestions!

All those specifics aside, I have been thrilled with everyone of the swaps boxes I've gotten. All my partners seem to have found great clues I didn't even know I'd left!

Save    
paulines

The last time I checked I had 409 posts ~ best of luck partner weeding through that mess - lol

It's me, Jim (DH of 24 years), our two young adult daughters, a boyfriend and a weiner dog in our house. I love anything unusual, different or rustic. We love to entertain and do casual munchie type of get-togethers - love sweet wines.

Like Lars', our DR's color is determined by the linens. Lots of red accents in the kitchen.

So have fun partner, I'll love whatever you decide on, don't sweat it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pauline's Kitchen...

Save    
paulines

Let me try this again :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pauline's Kitchen-Take 2...

Save    
msafirstein

ginaW, you and I are in the same situation with both in heavy remodel!

We are breaking ground for our remodel and addition a week from today!!! Kitchen now is so teeny but eventually I will have that dream kitchen that I have always wanted. I am really a baker although I do love to cook and can't wait to use my new KA mixer, roll out pie dough and have my baking center! I am so excited about my baking center!!

We live on 6 acres in horse county, although we do not have horses, we do have 2 large barns which were just remodeled last year! I am a horticulturist and DH is a stock broker. We now have 3 large 100+ lb dogs and 3 cats. I quilt, sew, bead, repair vintage quilts and even reproduce vintage quilts. I also do genealogy and have my family verified back to 1420 England. I work out 4 times a week and I LOVE IT!

And something I am rather proud of is that I did design our new home which took abt 4-6 hours per day over a period of 4 months. I just hope our home turns out like the computer image...LOL! But since designing our house and with the dig date now set, I've little time for much but working on the house, meeting with subcontractors and designers and getting the plans set. But it is still at the fun stage and I just hope this continues for the next 6-8 months!

Save    
annie1992

Stacy, that's a good point that I forgot to make. I live in a very small town in a very rural agricultural area. The nearest Trader Joe's is at least a 4 hour drive and my small grocery has the best fresh local produce but only two kinds of vinegar, cider and white. Two kinds of baking chocolate too: Hershey's and Nestle, with an occasional package of Baker's. LOL Not many exotic ingredients here. Maybe none. (grin)

Annie

Save    
Terri_PacNW

Boy there alot of weiner dog parents in this place. LOL

I have a Border Collie/Aussie Mix.

Save    
maggie2094

Terri - I noticed that too...

Hmmm lots of people here claiming to be "easy" AND lots of weiner dogs...not to mention Pauline lives with her DH and boyfriend :D

I'm going to play hard to get...I'll be back later!

Save    
maggie2094

I think I would have a different answer depending on what day of the week I was asked because I like so many different things.

Here are some "glimpses" to things I have in my home:

On the deck I have green and blue - I love stripes and florals and am always looking for fun serviceware (is that a word?). I love summer colors, too. Definitely a flip flop lifestyle these days - we keep it casual. I love things that have a Bahama vibe or Bermuda. You know what? I would love anything! I included the last pic to show I like vintage and vintage inspired things as well. Homemade goodies are surely welcome. Am I making it easier or harder? Let's just say I would love anything you took the time to put together for me! I had so much fun in the last swap.

Save    
girlsingardens

Our household consists for DH, me, and our 2 daughters an almost 3 year old ( birthday next week), and an 11 month old. As to spending time outside, we spend most of everyday outside as long as it isn't too hot outside. We do lots of grilling and like to try and eat outside. I do lots of gardening and have veggies, berries, and herbs. We like to be able to go out and get fresh food. In fact my oldest eats all the strawberries we grow everyday. I also like to do canning and preserving things so this is getting to be my busy time. Also I love vintage anything cooking things, decorating things, plates just about anything;)

Stacie
formerly gardeningwithbaby

PS We also live in the boonies in the middle of Nebraska. We have a World Market close......just a 6 hour drive one way:) So would love if I have a partner some treats from the "big city" areas:)

Save    
granjan

Just Dh and I here in our huge big Edwardian on a tiny shaded lot. Small deck with a big Webber, charcoal burner. I tend to be a purist! I live 4 blocks from one of the world's best produce markets and 2 blocks from a weekly farmer's market. We do lots of grilled veggies! But it's usually too cold to eat outside at nite, except in Sept.(And at the moment the deck is being used for construction of a redo of the mudroom into an upstairs laundry and a remake of the shower.) I miss my grill which is down by the camilla and surrounded by the deck plants.

We eat and drink everything and almost everything is available to us! (No tea though.)That's not bragging just reality, and why we love this overpriced area! Because of that we spend most of our time on a Weight Watcher regime with way too many nites off for new restaurants. So I almost always cook low fat and rarely get to do the baking I adore except when there are guests or I get to bring something.

My kitchen is blue and yellow with a yellow-green, chartreuse, accent wall. I collect blue and yellow plates, cookie cutters, cookbooks and cake plates. Lately I've been looking for black jungley salad plates to add interest to my old black plates for a change of pace. I never use plastic except for serving peices/ platters for outside or to take somewhere. I've loved everything I've gotten in my swap packages. Swaps are really FUN.

Save    
netla

I'm single, live alone.

I barbeque quite a bit during the summer. Not much of a pickicker.

I like trying out new spice mixes and recipes, unusual snacks and new flavours.

Drink tea rather than coffee, black rather than green. Not much of a vinegar user (excep for balsamico, but please don't send me any, I have enough to last out the year).

Am plannig to paint the kitchen in neutral colours. Rest of the apartment is in different shades of light yellows. Decor is eclectic. I have all the dishcloths, trivets and potholders I need ;-)

No allergies or religious restrictions.

Import of anything raw is forbidden, including stuff like jerked meat and dry hams.

Save    
doucanoe

Okay, here goes...

I live in a rural area of east central MN with husband Tim and two "furbabies", Mojo a 7 year old German Shepherd and Chessa, a 12 year old Golden/Cocker mix. We designed and built our log home, have been in it 4 years now (hard to believe!) I love to garden, travel, camp, collect antiques, and entertain.

I love to cook, altho I am not anywhere near as good at it as some of the members of this forum! Don't bake much, an occasional pan of brownies or Ann's scones.

We grill a lot, and all year long. In summer we eat outside several nights a week, and often end the day sitting on our porch with a flass of wine.

My kitchen is tiny, don't have a ton of storage so I don't collect a lot of gadgety things. But I do love fun serving pieces, antique linens, barware, and fun/funky outdoor dining items. I do use plastic wine, martini & margarita glasses often when outdoors. (After having a couple of my antique wine glasses get broken, I decided plastic is fine with me!)
Kitchen is done in burgundy, gold and green, with a "grapes/wine" motif

[

](http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=10&imgid=136619773)

and is open to the dining area and living room

[

](http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=10&imgid=136619831)

No food allergies or religious or dietary restrictions. I like spicy foods, don't drink coffee and only an occasional cup of tea. Chocolate? The darker the better! I tend to steer away from recipes that have lengthy ingredient lists, are more than a page long, or have weird ingredients that I probably can't get here much less pronounce!

I have participated in a lot of swaps and they have all been wonderful experiences. I know I will just love everything my swap partner chooses to send!

Linda

Save    
kent4489

Linda, your log home is gorgeous! And your pictures are really good and show lots of detail...I tried taking some pics this morning to get my own posting together for this thread and they aren't very good. Anyway...I have a question for you...where did you find the plastic martini glasses? I bought some plastic wine glasses, and have seen the margarita ones (don't need those), but I've looked everywhere for the martini ones (I don't like using glass around the pool). Thanks!
Jayne

Save    
doucanoe

Jayne, thanks for the compliments. We still have tons of work to do, but we love it.

The plastic martini's I have now were a gift from a friend and the stem lights up! WAY COOL, I know! LOL
I see them all over the place.....hmmmm (the swap wheels are turning!)

Linda

Save    
paulines

"...lots of weiner dogs...not to mention Pauline lives with her DH and boyfriend :D "

lol @ Maggie!
ummm, everyone knew what I meant, right? (said Pauline with a very red face)

Linda, I second Jayne's comments ~ very awesome home you have!

Save    
arabellamiller

Linda - your home would be my DH's dream home. Of course it would look a bit odd here in New England, but I'm not sure he'd care!

Let's see - me, DH, 2 boys (8&5) and 1 baby girl, and my poor 18 year old cat who I occasionally check to be sure he's still breathing. So far, so good.

We're in a small house, but hoping to sell soon and move to something just a little bigger.

[

](http://photobucket.com)

Here's my little kitchen (one of the reasons for the move). The countertops are blue pearl, and most of the accents are cobalt blue, but there is some red and yellow around.

[

](http://photobucket.com)

The dining room is pretty neutral. I love placemats, cloth napkins and collect pitchers. I like things that are fairly modern with clean simple lines and bright colors.

I love coffee and tea and chocolate. I LOVE honey and ginger. We keep kosher, so if you get me as a partner and were considering sending a ham, please don't! LOL!

Our outdoor dining space is not particularly convenient to the kitchen, so we don't eat out there on a regular basis. A few times a summer though, we do have large gatherings where we cook for a lot of people. I love baking fruit pies, so anything pie related is always appreciated.

I love these swaps and can't wait to start shopping!

AM

Save    
netla

Please add whether or not you are willing to receive alcohol in your swap package. I wouldn't want to accidentally offend anyone.

Save    
doucanoe

I am willing, Netla! LOL

Linda

Save    
chancesmom

How about a whole swap package of alcohol! (just kidding) netla, you sound like my kind of lady!

Yes that would be fine with me.

janet

Save    
Lars

I think it is safe to assume that alcohol is okay unless specifically stated that it is forbidden. I am personally unaware of anyone here who is a teetotaller, but there might be someone.

I sent wine to Ren in Kentucky (a felony in her county, according to her), and she was happy to get it. I would be concerned about fruit quarantines.

Lars

Save    
momto4kids

We love patio dining! We've got a built-in grill and enjoy grilling. Our patio furniture is teak. I've not gotten to the part of decorating the outside yet...still working on the inside! We love all those "themed" things. There is never a need to worry about "Do they already have a ________?" at my house! We never have enough or too much of anything!

Indoors, we're pretty casual in the kitchen. "Traditional" French/Italian colors. I'm always on the lookout for that "gadget" that really works! Cookbooks are "reading" books for me!

We love everything!

Save    
wizardnm

First of all, please don't sweat it! I'll love what ever I recieve.
Life around here is very casual and we enjoy eating out on the deck during the few WEEKS that the weather cooperates. I do like unbreakable summer dishes as we often take stuff down to the lake. There is just Kim and I and a 3 yr old chocolate lab, Roxie.
My dining/kitchen area is painted in a dark putty color (deep taupe) and I find I'm into more contempory looks these days...I guess I like 'artsy' whatever that is. I collect handmade stoneware serving pieces. My kitchen is small and I have to constantly run out to the attached garage or upstairs when I need something I don't use on a regular basis. I love to bake along with cooking. I love all types of cookbooks, which I read like I would a novel. I'm a unflavored coffee lover...need that caffine! I love chocolate..sweet as opposed to bitter. I love to can and also try other peoples home canned or local things.

I want a kitchen expansion/redo.......

Nancy

Save    
kent4489

Linda/doucanoe... Stems that light up? That is way cool! You see them everywhere? I must not shop enough! LOL (Oh, and I wasn't hinting...just curious because I really haven't seen plastic martini glasses and I have looked for them.) Do they run on batteries? (That question could lead to other comments, I'm sure!) Wonder if they would be safe to use while floating in the pool?

J.

Save    
jessyf

Ack my turn. Its me, DH and two boys, ages 11 and 13.

Lets see...we do eat outside once in a while, when I entertain, its usually with families in multiples of fours (two adults and their two kids, LOL). I gas grill LOTS during the summer since it gets hot in the house. Last summer swap, I got a grill tool set so I'm OK there.

Like Arabella, we keep kosher - I'm more 'pseudo' kosher than her. No pork or shellfish, please! If you have questions about her, please bug me. I'm sure she'll be happy to reciprocate.

I don't drink too much alcohol - but I just got a bottle of Hpnotic and can't wait to share it with friends. I like sweet stuff!

I love condiments - not spicy, please. Legallin had sent me some JOHN HENRY'S Nedra D's Hickory Rub and I can't use enough of it!

I do have a Trader Joe's, Penzeys, and Cost Plus near me. But no real local artisan shops. I like funky contemporary serving pieces - my favorite color is cobalt blue, silver and white.

I'll be happy with whatever I get, as long as I can brag 'my internet forum friend sent this to me!'

Save    
goldgirl

Did I say that I'm so excited to be doing my first swap?!

It's just DH and me, and six Goldens (I show my dogs as a hobby). We moved from MD last fall and have been renting in PA since then. Will be closing on a spec home on 8 acres in central NJ on July 11th. DH is a Jersey native, but we were both in MD for 20+ years. Have to confess that I'm missing my old friends and feeling a little lost, but hopefully that will change once we get settled into our new home.

You can see some photos of our future kitchen, the dining room of our previous home, and some of our dogs, at www.picturetrial.com/goldgirl4. My style is traditional, and I love everything English, having lived in London back in the 80s. My future kitchen is very different for me in terms of style, and I'm not sure how to decorate it.

We're casual, love grilling and can't wait to enjoy our new property, although we obviously have years of landscaping work ahead of us. We'll be buying a new grill after we move and will eventually put in a patio, etc.

As far as food, no allergies, and DH loves the foods that I don't. So, we're easy :) One thing we don't need is coffee -one of DH's clients sent him cases as a gift LOL.

Save    
compumom

Goldgirl- your link is inopperative. I know there's a typo but beyond that we have to register on Picturetrail. Can you set up a direct link? It's fairly easy using the format at the bottom of a post message.

Save    
goldgirl

Sorry compumom, forgot to include the direct link! It just needs the http:// in front...

Here is a link that might be useful: Goldgirl's house & dogs

Save    
riverrat1

Hi, my name is Karen and I'm on weight watchers. I've never been on a diet in my life but mid life has not been so nice to me. So as much as I don't want to say this, please do not send food or chocolate :-(

My 3 children are pretty much grown, or so they think they are. I still have Logan at home (17 years old), he will graduate High School next year. My oldest DD will make me a Grandmother in September with my first granddaughter. Her name is Margaret and I'm very excited about this new addition to our family.

We are not big drinkers but I've been known to have my share of a bottle of wine or a rockin Bloody Mary. We are mostly casual entertainers but I've been known to 'do up' a formal dinner. Love, love to entertain friends and family.

I am so easy to please and will enjoy anything you send me. I'm not really into matching everything exactly as I like an eclectic look. Although my favorite color is orange/red/copper.

I have a gas grill and a charcoal grill and use each grill quite often. Our weather allows us to grill year around but we don't eat outside. We have mosquitoes and bugs almost all year and they reeeaaally like me!

We really do love everything so don't fret!

Save    
traceys

Like Nancy said don't sweat it. I'll like anything.

Like alcohol here too!

I live in the middle of nowhere in a log home with my DH, son and daughter. There is also one dog and cat. Everything is really casual here. Kitchen is pretty plain. Oak cabinets, balck appliances, gray/white tiles on the counter(I was tired of picking ot things by the time I got to the kitchen). I collect new and old pottery, and I'm statring to buy more serving pieces. I really feel things don't all have to match.

I like spicy things now. Love chocolate but since it's summer it probably wouldn't hold up well.

I don't have a grill yet and we don't eat outside a lot. I hate bugs.

Just have fun and I'll love whatever you send.

Tracey

Save    
susan_in_nc

What I'd really like is for someone to come over and pinstripe my kitchen. We did a makeover a few years ago and the painting still isn't completed. I DO NOT have a straight eye and will have to measure and tape to get the effect I want. My personal horror it to do all that -- then get told it's off-center.

The kitchen and dining room wall was taken out so I have one very large room. There is a breakfast bar/cabinet between the two sections, but the upper cabinets are about 5 1/2 ft off the floor with double cabinets under. The cabinets are light oak and the counters are a slate blue Formica (cost got in the way of the upgrade -- but it still looks nice). We tiled the floor with 16" square tiles laid in brick style rows. The wainscoting is dark blue and the chair rail and baseboards are white enamel. The white wall were to be pinstriped in thin groups of dark green around a slightly wider navy. Curtains are green and so are throw rugs. I have a table that expands to seat 14 (light oak) that DH purchased 8 years ago as a 'surprise'. His sister almost had a fit at him, she couldn't understand how or why he would buy me a table without my approval. The chairs are three different styles, but only 8; if we have a larger group I have to borrow chairs.

My cookbooks were put in the attic for the redo and I haven't gotten up there to get them down since. Actually, I've been using the forum as a sort of personal cookbook or winging it. DH underwent gastric by-pass and is doing well with it. I have only lost 5 lbs since his surgery. I have a son at home who needs to gain weight. He has been taking it easy since school let out and has still lost another 4 lbs. I don't mind him lounging about a bit. He works hard in school and will be taking 1 honors course and the rest AP next fall (as a JR). He finished this year with straight A's and lettered in track again. He hopes to letter all 4 years, a rarity for the school I've been told.
I also have a DD, who does not live at home. During the last year she announced an engagement, then put it on hold. I had to tell her not to bi--- and complain to me about the fellow, just in case they made up. Which they did, because MOM WON'T FORGIVE HIM so easily for hurting my little girl. He is a bit afraid of me. (Good, but it is only a bit!)

We are also the 'parents' of a very spoiled loose hair machine that masqueraded as a black lab named Jack. He is a sweetheart and loves that I'm home for the summer so he can nap nearby. He also tattles on the boy, lies about being fed and we have to call walks 'george' because he learned to spell walk and leash. Jack is 5 now and still goes into the wild puppy from time to time and has a tail that can knock me off my feet.

I've only done one swap -- the last mini and had so much fun shopping and then reading about everyone, of course a personal highlight was getting a wonderful box myself! DH thought I was a bit touched, but after seeing the fantastic box Karen (Trixietx) sent he was converted.

No food or drink restrictions here (at least for me -- I don't HAVE to share with DH!)

Susan

Save    
paulines

Karen (TrixieTx) was a partner of mine also, Susan ~ she packs a mean swap box!!!

Save    
sheshebop

I am Sherry and I love to entertain. My house is a quasi Country French/Cottage/Traditional (eclectic I guess) I decorate in reds and yellows, and am in the process of having my dining room chairs recovered in blue to match the blue in my living and dining room rugs. I am also changing the dining room valances to a blue and red and yellow plaid. Walls are red in dining and yellow in kitchen.
To be honest, we occasionally grill outdoors, but not very often. We rarely eat outdoors, because the dining room is almost all glass and it overlooks the yard and we don't have to deal with the Midwestern mosquitoes that way. We have no patio yet. That's the next big project.
I love stuff. I love unique or artsy serving bowls and plates. I love placemats. I collect napkin rings, and love unique ones. I love all matter of food, and would adore local specialties. I love unique ingredients. I love dark chocolate, and nuts, and and have no allergies to food. That's why I am no longer the skinny young girl I was 38 years ago. I love textiles, and like to buy pretty table linens, and dishtowels to display (and use). I just bought an electric tortilla press and baker, and am hoping to get more into making my own Mexican food. I collect jams and jellies (even though I don't eat them that often, I love to have them and offer them to guests, and am always looking for unique ones and especially home made ones) (I still have never had persimmon jelly, Jessy) My favorite meal is brunch, and I love to do awesome brunches with lots of cute, elegant things. I am easy to shop for because I love just about everything. AND, even though the theme of this swap is summer and BBQ...you don't have to stick to that for me! It's just me and my DH of 38 years, and Dexter, my white Maltese baby. 3 kids are grown and gone, and I have 6 grand daughters, and will never have any grand sons, which is fine with me. I love little girls, although the 16 year old girls would tell you they are not "little girls."

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen and dining rooms

Save    
dlundin

Well, it's just Vicki and me and four cats. I like this theme. I don't think I need anything for my kitchen... forum members have been so generous in the past... but what I could really use are sturdy, fun plastic glasses! Does that seem too odd or specific a request? Because I really don't want to put out a shopping list for my partner. I've loved the surprises I've gotten before, it's just so much fun. But as long as we're on an outdoorsy, barbecue theme, that's the first thing that came to mind. I have all colors of the rainbow of Fiestaware that we use outside but I'd rather not use glassware because we have a built-in spa.

As far as food or beverage items, what I really like are regional items. It's fun to me to get something I can't get here.

Was this any help at all? If not, ask Jessy, LOL. She's got my numbah.

Save    
teresa_nc7

Fun, plastic glasses would be easy, Diana! What I want is Sherry's kitchen and dining room!!! I love it, Sherry! You helped me to decide the color scheme I've been looking for with that plaid valance. Now if I could only find the $$$$$$ to paint and decorate. (sigh)

Save    
debbie814

First of all partner, have fun! I am very easy to please, and love everything I have received in swaps.

We are casual folks that love to entertain. In the summer, Joe and I enjoy eating out on the deck and do a lime green plastic theme. Our sons join us when they are not working.

Our dining room is painted Macadamia (think beige), and I use an assortment of handmade stoneware serving pieces.

Our kitchen is currently being remodeled and will have natural cherry cabinets with stainless appliances. My paint color is BM Coyote Trail (in the brown family). We plan on using a Wok quite a bit now that we have 22,000 BTU burners.

We enjoy spices and spicy foods. Remember, we are easy to please. Have fun!

Save    
susie_que

Hi partner!

We cook and eat out a lot. I have a small table on the front porch which seats 4. The colors are bright blue and green with a hint of hot pink. I decorated the porch in dragon flies....which I love! Got most of the stuff at dollar stores.
We haven't done a lot of entertaining of late...just busy with my back and my mom.

Its me, Frank, AmyBeth and Andrew. 2 big dogs and 3 kitties.
No coffee...we like tea and chai and smooties.
I am the only one who drinks but only once in a while-like every Friday night LOL!!
Not big on chocolate besides I'm not sure it would make it in the heat of summer.
We do love fruity candies-especially the sour kind...yummo!

Spicy is good....extra spicy is better and we love anything regional to your area.

We are easy to please and truely appreciative for anything we get!

Happy Fishing!
Susie

Save    
dedtired

Hey, my turn. It's just me in the house although my adult son stops by a lot. He is the grill master. I have a typical gas grill that I use mostly for burgers but I occasionally try something else. My bbq equipment includes one long set of tongs, a pan with holes in it for grilling veggies or whatever, and a wire thingamajig for grilling fish.

I do not like spicy food. I love cookies and all baked goods. Scones are my absolute favorite.

I love coffee, and sit out on my porch many mornings with coffee, cereal (LOVE to cut up fresh fruit on it) and the paper. I like to do the cryptogram puzzle and sometimes a crossword. I work full time so there isn't as much time for relaxation as I would like.

My hobby is gardening and I am currently putting in a new flower bed. My house is not large which is fine with me!

I am not a fussy eater, no allergies or restrictions.

I will add a link to pics of my porch and patio. The porch has a funky blue ceiling. I thought I had chosen sky blue, but I never saw a sky that color. I hope this enough to help who ever gets my name! It doesn't take a lot to make me happy.

Pam

Here is a link that might be useful: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/clarkpk/album?.dir=2131re2

Save    
dedtired

And here is a link to pics of my kitchen when it had just been renovated. The counters are Peacock Green granite, the cabs are maple and the walls are a cream color. There's no room for hanging anything on the walls and magnets won't stick to the stainless.

Here is a link that might be useful: my kitchen

Save    
compumom

I guess it's my turn to go--
It's DH, DS (23) and me in our home of 28+ years. We use our yard quite frequently to entertain in small groups or just ourselves. Our gas grill sees plenty of use. I hope next year to put in a new one with a small island. We remodeled our kitchen almost 4 years ago. Our granite is Costa Esmerlda, cabs are cherry and the walls are light green with bright white trim. Our daily dishes are French Garden by Villeroy and Boch.

Our patio area has green chairs and umbrella with brick .
We are fairly easy to please, red wine drinker, cloth napkin users, like spicy foods (DH more than me), love mustards, like to cook but do have quite a few utensils. Coffee and tea drinkers, but not herbal teas! We love chocolate, but prefer dark to milk. Casual entertaining of family and friends as well as entertaining DD, DSIL and our active 19 month old grandson is what makes us happy. I like to cook and DH will assist if I whine loudly enough!. I'm allergic to most dairy products and I can't eat nuts or beans, but DH does. Jessy and Diana have both been here, so if you need more info, just ask them!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Save    
mer4205

Hello Partner!

I am also easy to please and have loved everything that I have received in the swaps...It's me and the DH and two doggies, Mimi and Puccini. I love to cook and especially love to make all types of ethnic foods. I have a love of pottery and collect practical shapes that I use to serve food. We have three season porch that the DH has been renovating...we hope to use it by July 4th! I am planning on decorating it with the sunny colors of blue, yellow and white kind of a south of France feel! I love things that are particular to your area and really appreciate anything that you will send! (Love spicy things too!).... -maria

Save    
trixietx

It is just me and DH at home. We farm/ranch and live in a small town in the Texas panhandle(population 2500 in town, 3500 in the county.)

DS, DIL and almost 2 yr. old grandson (he is my pride and joy and favorite pastime) live close, DS helps DH and also farms and ranches on his own. DD lives about 100 miles from home and comes home sometimes on the weekend.

My kitchen and dining room are in neutral colors with red accents.

I enjoy flower and vegetable gardening and grow most of my own vegetables to preserve. I take lunch to the field during planting and harvest season so it comes in pretty handy.

It is hard for me to stay inside during the summer, I would rather be outside working in the yard. It has been a little easier this year because it has been so hot.
We have two backyard patios, neither one large, but a big yard and I enjoy entertaining outside.
I grill outside three or four times a week and sometimes more, all year.
Can't think of any dislikes or allergies, will try most anything, within reason. I can't stand liver of any kind, don't send me liver, but I don't think that should be a problem, or hope not!!

I am not hard to please. I will like and appreciate what I receive, for sure.

I just wish I had more imagination!

Save    
brenda55

Here in SA its just me, my DH, Jim, and our precious granddaughter, Aleksi, who will turn four next week. We just relocated in March to SA.

Our new home has no patio, that will be next year's project, so we don't do outdoor dining at this point. We downsized tremendously in our relocation, partly on purpose and partly due to the horrendous moving company we used in relocating, so I've not come up with a definitive color scheme for the dining area, nor kitchen.

We never have chocolate in our home, except when Aleksi is gone for a few days as she has an allergy to chocolate. I don't drink coffee, and we like almost any kind of food, except for really hot, though.

I am trying to reinvent my cooking, as it became very, very BORING for several years, and that is how I came across this forum, looking for ideas and help to push me to the other side and can you say I found the "Promised Land" on this forum. LOL.

I am very easy to please, will love and appreciate whatever I receive and please, no fret for this Texas girl.

Save    
blueiris24

I keep waiting to write something on here when I'm not tired, but I'm giving up on that ever happening.
You all have such beautiful homes!
I live in the west and am the sole female in my home of two sons, and little dog. We are always on the go - sometimes too much so -- but we love learning and trying new things. I spend many, many, many, many hours at the soccer and baseball fields.
My favorite type of food is Mexican, although I am a complete whimp when it comes to anything with hot spices. I also love just making a bunch of tapas for dinner. We have a yard with a small outdoor area to eat, and we do eat outside a lot in the summer. My DH is getting a gas grill for Father's Day, be we pretty much have everything for that.
My taste is very eclectic - I love old things, contemporary things -- I don't really like pastels and I'm not much into country aside from holiday decorations. I'm going to Santa Fe with friends to celebrate my 40th bday this summer, and I love that type of artwork -- the earth tones and deep colors. I hope to redo my kitchen this year in bold Santa Fe colors - red, gold, and that blue they have that I haven't quite found a match for (yet)!
I love things that make me laugh. I love roosters. (yes, that said I Love Roosters.)We love to have friends and neighbors over for casual entertaining. I enjoy gardening and reading. I also enjoy quilting but haven't had much time for that lately. I'm starting to get into working with beads.
We love chocolate at this house and it needs to be well hidden to survive. I'm sure I'll love whatever I receive!

Save    
debbie814

I wrote a novel about myself this morning, and I see that it never got posted. Darn

Well we recently gutted the kitchen. Out with the old, and in with the new! Should be done by mid July. The cabinets will be natural cherry, stainless appliances, hardwood floor, walls will be painted BM Linen White and Coyote Trail (brown family).

Our dining room paint is SW Macadamia (beige)with a mission style dining room set.

In the summer, we eat on our patio, and our color theme is lime green plastic ware. We are a family of 5, with a boxer Kiki.

Save    
ann_t

Here is a list of those that haven't yet posted to this thread. I've received a few emails from your partners looking for information. Please post soon. And I know that I'm guilty too and so I'm off to post now.

Ann

Katie
Cathy
Dolores
Marigene
David
Sunny
Cinda in CT
Renee
Sharon
Sol
Jane
Lori
Scott
Stacey
Bizzo
Tikanas
May

Save    
ann_t

There is just the two of us. Our Son Matt lives about an hour from us so we get to see him often.

The in this house is open to the . I like it because there is a lot of light from big windows and a skylight. Colours are a kind of burnt orange in the kitchen and yellows elsewhere. And except for the espresso machine, toaster oven, olive oil, pepper grinder and salt bowls I try to keep my counters bare. All my other small appliances are stored in the Island.

I think that almost everyone here probably knows most of my likes and dislikes. It's no secret that I'm not a fan of any kind of condiment, or bbq sauce or that I hate carrots, parsnips and raisins.

I can't decide if I have an actual favourite food. I pretty much cook anything and everything. French, Italian, Mexican, Greek, Indian, basic "Diner" food, etc. I'm lucky that I live in an area where I can pretty much get any ingredient I need. I enjoy just about every method of cooking to. Love to bake and very seldom buy bread or other baked goods because I prefer to bake them myself. I grill year around although we never eat outside. In fact we are very casual and even though we eat most of our meals in front of the TV I still like to make use of nice dishes and serving pieces.

I'm really looking forward to shopping for my swap partner. We have a lot of local artist/craftsmens in the area and many of them show at some of the Island's Farmer's markets on Saturdays. I plan to visit a few of them between here and Victoria over the next 4 weekends and I hope to find some interesting cooking/kitchen related items to send. Because of the US Customs regulations I probably won't bother sending any food items.

Ann

Save    
Tikanas2

Another easy going swap partner here.
I have loved everything I have gotten in the swaps. It's just me and DS and Oreo, the cat here, but DD is here A LOT!! and likes to sample and try out everything.
For Mother's day I received a big basket of gourmet items that the kids picked out for me in hopes that it was "as good as a swap box". I loved the basket, AND the thought...

Pauline, I didn't realize just how BUSY you are. A hubby and a boyfriend! And you still find time to cook!!

Darn, Tracey, I was gonna send you bugs... : )

I love to entertain and manage to do so regularly even in my cramped, temporary digs. I like earth tones, spicy foods, spices and all types of cuisines. I LOVE homemade/ homecooked stuff.

I am avoiding sweets but the kids won't turn them down lol. Wines are nice or? I am a coffee drinker but like an occasional tea.

I look at the swaps as a way to get to know everybody better. If you like it, I'll give it a try!

Tikanas

Save    
Marigene

Guess it is my turn. My kitchen has cream colored cabinets with blue glass knobs and pulls, walls are painted a light kiwi, bisque colored appliances, and light beige counters. We have a gas grill that we use infrequently and do not eat outside very often (too many mosquitoes and they love both myself and hubby). We have no allergies or real food dislikes. Green is my favorite color. I will love whatever you send!

Save    
kent4489

First, before I forget... I'll be gone from June 28 thru July 10, so won't be here to get a package.

I go in spurts with cooking interests...last summer, I did some canning and learned to bake bread this past winter. I like baking bread better and need to get back to that. I tend to spend a lot of time outside, planting flowers in the Spring, so kitchen time is limited.

Just me and DH...and our cat. I like trying new things, but don't care for strong smokey flavors, olives, raisins or cherries. DH is a boring eater. I've listed beverage info on the other thread. No allergies or religious restrictions. We're very casual and don't entertain much here. We entertain more in FL, but even more casually. I like pretty and unusual things. I don't think I have a particular style, but not into cutesy or country.

Took some pics of my kitchen, eating areas and patio, but they didn't turn out very well. I have cherry cabs, ivory chiffon granite, stainless steel and Brazilian cherry floors. I use reds and gold with bits of navy, although my pics don't show much color. I keep my counters fairly clutter-free. I haven't done much decorating because we were thinking about moving, but have decided to stay. I can settle in now!

We always have breakfast & lunch at the table, but dinner is usually in front of the TV (bad!)

I took this pic of our dining room right after we got the table a few months ago. I've since added a gold/red silk table runner and red silk placemats with gold napkins. Still looking for a rug and wall decor.

Lastly is our patio. We occasionally have lunch at the small bistro table, but often have cocktails in the swing. I have additional chairs that I put out when we have company.

I know I'll be very happy with anything my partner sends. I've been in two swaps and the gifts were terrific!

Jayne

Save    
kent4489

Oh, I forgot to mention, we don't have a grill. Gave it to our neighbors when we moved from our last house and decided we didn't want one anymore. Is it a CF faux pas that we use a GF grill indoors?
(And sorry my above pictures are so bad...too dark.)

Save    
maggie2094

Pauline :D
I just read my post and apologies if I seem coy. I was having fun but I don't want to make it hard on anyone!

It is my dh, small son, and 2 furbaby cats. I also tend to immerse myself in new things like say bread baking or pizza making, and lately tarts. It is sort of an ebb and flow thing with me. I could easily spend the whole day baking bread (or failing at baking bread) and not have a clue what I am going to make for dinner. With the warm weather my interest is turning outdoors and we do like to grill.

My home is earth tones - green, golds, beige. I change accent colors but love orange and deep red.

Outside I like fun summer colors.

I love kitchen "stuff" and am always looking for new ways to prepare and serve my food to feed the eye as well as the belly.

We don't have any restrictions. Funky is okay by me as well as simple white things. Homemade is great, too!

I am just enjoying the sweet anticipation. Have fun and don't worry about a thing. I will appreciate that you took the time!

Save    
lakeguy35

Just a lakebum here y'all! Single and share my small cabin with a Great Dane and two cats. Have a huge family and a great group of friends that love good food and drink.

My place is all knotty pine and hardwood floors with a big fieldstone fireplace. My decor is a mix of new, antique, and stuff that I think is cool. I can make most anything fit in with my decor. So go for it!!

Casual entertaining here for the most part. My main cooking events revolve around family functions, holidays, parties in general, and of course good music is always part of the fun. Eating and drinking can take place inside, on the back deck, side patio, on the dock, or out on the boat if it is something simple.

Bottom line, just have fun and surprise me!!

David

Save    
sunnyco

I have not posted on here a whole lot for quite a while, so I should get busy here. First off, I want to apologize to my swap partner, because while I was thinking about this, I realized that I am probably going to be a very challenging person to shop for. My life is in such flux right now, and has been fairly over-taken by school. My hobbies have been set aside, for the most part. And I am kind of an oddball on here, because I don't cook as much as I used to. Especially in the summer.

I read a lot of threads in the cooking forum, but I don't post much. Mostly that is because I have not been cooking much for quite a while. I am in school and it's not the cooking I feel I don't have time for as much as it is the cleaning up afterwards.

I do love food though!

You would have to put a gun to my head to get me to post pictures of my kitchen. It is horrible. It looks as if it either just exploded, or is about to. That also detracts from my cooking experience. And I am not the greatest cook, for sure. My heart just has not been in it for a while, and that makes a world of difference.

I should do this when I am more awake. So far it sounds so depressing, and I don't feel depressed! LOL

My son and I are trying especially hard to lose some weight and get fit this summer. We just joined a rec center, and have been working out.

I don't eat much dairy product because it makes my allergies go haywire. I don't worry about little bits of it in things, and I do use a bit of hard cheeses on my food sometimes because it gives me a lot of bang for my buck, so to speak. Don't send me any liver! I hate liver! :p

I have a husband, two sons (11 and 13), a very small sheltie dog, a cat, and two cockatiels we are trying to get rid of. Hmmmmmmm. Maybe my swap partner wants some cockatiels...lol My 11 year old is a vegetarian. Nobody else here is. He makes a lot of his own meals. I'm really proud of him.

We eat a lot of sandwiches around here. I make a lot of Mexican food. Easy Mexican food. I would like to eat more salad dressings, but I have a hard time finding dressings I like. I don't like many bottled ones, and I have not had much luck with homemade ones. When I find one I like, I eat it until I am sick of it. We also eat a lot of snacky things. I love salty-crunchy and sweet about equally.

I have been purging my house of extra stuff for over a year. I like practical things. I started out on the moonlady thing a few years ago, but have not had the self-discipline to get back on it. It's so strange that this has been so hard, because I love organizing things, in spite of my general lack of day-to-day organization. I like getting it there, just not maintaining it, but I have not even gotten it there for so long... Well, it's not so strange, I guess. It takes TIME to organize. :)

When I do have time to hobby, I love to read. Historical fiction, food science, sociology, humor. Right now, I am reading a book called "Stumbling on happiness." It is really interesting, and sometimes funny.

I also sew. I had to pack my sewing room into a storage unit for a while because my kids were sharing a room. They were getting bigger and the room was not. Just a few weeks ago, I got the stuff out of storage and build a big cutting table, using my filing cabinets as pedestals for the top. I can't wait for it to get cool enough out for me to spend some time in the garage. I would say baking, reading and sewing are the three hobbies I most often come back to. I have been doing them since I was a child.

When I have more time, I like to make collages, soap, paper, woodworking, write (usually journalling). I will try my hand at just about anything. Jack of all trades -master of none! lol

I like pretty much all colors. My favorite is periwinkle. I take that back. I am not fond of the harvest gold/avocado color scheme, but even those colors have their place.

I like a lot of things that a lot of people think are strange. I love skeletons and bugs (there are a few of the latter that are on my permanent **** list though. lol). I'm not very "girly" that way. I used to garden, but I learned that after the short season of nice weather, it just gets too hot and I don't take care of the plants.

It's really hot here.

Oh! I will be gone from the 7th of july to around the end of August. Probably until the 26th or so, but we are not sure yet. My husband will be here after the 18th, so he will bring any packages in, but he won't open them. (in case of perishables).

If my swap partner has questions, maybe they can have someone else email me and I will post the answers on here.

Sunny

Save    
ann_t

Sunny, just to confirm, you are going to be away from July 7th until the end of August and your husband will be home to pick up packages after July 18th?????? or is that August 18th????.

Since the targeted mail out date is July 22nd it is going to be important for your partner to time their shipment.

Would it be more convenient for your partner to ship directly to where ever you will be during this time period?

During the last swap Jayne was my partner and she was in Florida during the swap so I mailed my gift to her there.

Ann

Save    
chase_gw

Mostly it's just Clive and I. Our daughter Meredith goes to University out of province but is home for the summer. Our son Chris has his own place but is actually living at our cottage all summer so I have one in each house! No escaping them!!

We love to entertain both here and at the cottage. our style is very laid back and casual. As for tates, Clive is not a fan of spicy and I'm not much of a sweets person! LOL

Kitchen here is in sagey, bluey greens with some olive things happening, I thought I had a pic but I don't. Kitchen at the cottage is modern rustic.

To be honest swap partner I will be thrilled with anything you might choose. Just have fun and don't sweat it!

Save    
chase_gw

Oooops, didn't mean to link to the album! Ignore hot tub photo!!! LOL

Save    
sunnyco

My husband will be here after the 18th of July.

I can ask my neighbor to check, as well. She will be checking on the cat every other day or so.

Save    
compumom

Yes Sunny, but how can you respond to your partner? The swap is for July and maybe the beginning of August not the end. Can't you have it sent to you on vacation?

Save    
jessyf

Oh no Sunny! I think that most people sign up for a swap so they can participate in all the oohing, aahhing and follow ups (thats a beeeeeg job and part of the fun). Will you be on line during the 6 weeks you are away?

Save    
Bizzo

Sorry to be posting so late! We were in York Maine for my birthday last Tuesday (yes, 13 is my lucky number) and then Newport for the weekend... and my PC died when I got home!! but I seem to be up and running again now!!

At home, it's just DH and me... and a kitchen we remodeled about 8 months ago. My kitchen has tan-brown granite counters, one burgundy wall, and caramel-colored cabinets. My dining room walls are mostly sage-greenish (one wall is cream with sage trim).

I have been caffeine-free for 3.5 years, and as much as I love my decaf, I can tell when I get an extra boost of caffeine, and it's not a good thing!

DH is the hot-dogs and mac&cheese guy, but I love most all foods (except fishy-fish, and sushi 'cause I don't like the nori). I am, however, back at Weight Watchers, and have been recently diagnosed as insulin-resistance so I have been looking with interest at SharonCB's low GI food postings.

I love kitchen gadgets, and while in York stopped at Stonewall Kitchen, but walked away from several things that called my name... all your posts on microplanes almost had me.

I'm really pretty easy... and quite grateful to whatever creative thing comes my way. I'm very excited about getting to play in the mini-swap this time!

DH does have a full bar, and bought me a wine fridge for one of my previous birthdays, if that helps... And I love to read, and I especially love to read about food! (are you surprised)!!

Elizabeth

Save    
finally

Hey, I'm FINALLY posting! While finally is a fitting name, it definitely did not pay off if you want to search for posts by me. Even with the curly-que thingy in front, a seach comes up with 320 hits. Searching for Dolores is better, but I don't always sign that way.

So here's the skinny on me:

Our family is me, DH, 2 DDs and 1 DS, all teenagers. Also a DPD (Dear PoopyDog). None of us are picky eaters--actually we're pretty adventurous. One of my DDs is allergic to nuts, legumes and sesame products, though.

We are recent remodelers. Our new kitchen is open to our dining room and family room. We have creamy-white cabinets with black and stainless appliances, and dark green granite. Accent pieces in the kitchen are a green color (like Chantal's Garden Green). The colors in the rest of the great room are earthier tones with brick-ish red and green accents. We do BBQ frequently, all year round. After the remodel, we redid the landscaping front and back, but haven't eaten outside yet! I did pick up some cool battery operated paper lanterns at Cost Plus World Imports that are a brick color, so outdoors may go in that color direction once we get furniture for it.

While I like to cook, I LOVE to make desserts. Chocolate and lemon are two of my favorites. Like Elizabeth above, kitchen tools are always calling my name. I did manage to pare down during the remodel, but I wouldn't have passed up a micro-plane!

DH and I do enjoy an evening cocktail, so no issues with sending alcohol. I know you have to be careful shipping that to some places!

So, swappie, I hope this helps you! The best thing for you to know though, is that I'm not picky at all and will appreciate anything you choose!

~finally (aka Dolores)

Save    
scott55405

Well I have been around the forum for a number of years now and am happy to be getting back into participating in swaps. After a lifetime in Minnesota I have relocated to Los Angeles last fall and am quite happy with my decision.

I live in a charming, spacious 1 BR mid-century apt. (which makes me very happy as I like all things mid-century) about 2 miles east of Venice Beach, near downtown Culver City. (I know this probably means nothing to non-CA folks, but that's where I live!) LOL I love one level living and how quick it is to clean this place!

I like my happy little well lit kitchen and dining area, and find it very easy and pleasant to work in a compact kitchen. I found a nice dinette set at IKEA that had red upholstered seats, and I have just taken off with the red. Lots of red used in my place, and red accessories in the kitchen especially. Also interested in vintage kitchenware, textiles and small appliances.

Beyond that, I am also not a picky person and you can have fun shopping for me. Always interested in trying new things. I wasn't cooking much there for a while but am getting back into that, baking and casual entertaining of smaller groups again. I like many kinds of foods, pasta related stuff is a favorite that comes to mind, and I like red and white wines, non-flavored coffee and tea. No dietary restrictions or anything here at this time.

I've always had fun with the swaps, so have fun shopping!

Save    
KatieC

I live in a constant state of remodel on a in the Idaho Panhandle. (Dh does custom woodworking, and it's a case of 'the cobbler's children always need shoes'. When he does finish something for us, it's awesome, though (and, as he says, "It's paid for" [read that: "Quit complaining"]).

I'm easy....we like all kinds of food and drink. No allergies and eerything I hate (liver!) isn't shippable. We grill often, but don't eat outside very much. Once the monster mosquitoes subside, we get wasps, who reallllly like barbecue. Regional stuff is always good. I just want my partner to have fun.

My little house is mostly wood inside...

Save    
sunnyco

I will only be away for just over three weeks, at the maximum. I will be here to answer questions until the night of the 6th of July. After that, I will be periodically checking my email and if anyone has questions I will get on here and post an answer. At the very least, I would reply to the person who emails me.

I hesitate to send Ann the address for where I will be, because I will be in, lets see, 5 different places. I will be in one longer than the rest, but I am not sure how long. I can pinpoint a narrow range of days that I am sure to be there, but I don't know if I would trust USPS to hit the target.

Really, it will only be 10 days that there will be no-one here at the house. Outside of those days, my husband would be able to tell me if I got a package, so I could at least let you know that.

Is that OK?

Save    
sunnyco

I will be gone from July 7th to Sometime in the last week of July. My husband will be gone for the first 10 days of it.

It's really not that bad. I swear! LOL

Save    
lowspark

As everyone here probably already knows, I recently remodeled my kitchen incorporating a Grape/Wine theme. Dark purple granite counters with a pink marble tile backsplash. I also have some sage green accents. (Pix of my kitchen are in the "Scenes of a Finished Kitchen" album linked on My Page.)

My Dining room has medium purple colored walls with dark purple & burgundy window coverings and a sort of an iris theme. We don't have a lot of formal dinners but I do host pot lucks regularly.

My 18 yo son is off to college this year(!) and my 16 yo son is a vegetarian.

We eat a good variety of foods, like spicy stuff, chocolate (esp. dark), wine, beer. No coffee, but love iced tea. No allergies.

I do have Penzey's and Whole Foods but no Trader Joe's nearby.

I'm sure I'll love whatever you send, I'm pretty easy to please. I've participated in a few of these swaps now and loved everything I got. Have fun shopping for me as I know I'll have fun shopping for my partner!

Save    
ann_t

You are right Sunny, that isn't too bad. LOL! I misunderstood. I thought you were going to be gone for over 6 weeks. In your post above you mention that you will be gone from July 7th, until almost the end of August. I'm sure your partner can postpone mailing for a week so that it arrives the end of July after you are home.

Ann

Save    
sunnyco

Sorry. I am brain-fried. I am going to blame it on the hot weather. lol

Oooh. That might be something my swap partner will want to consider. The weather here then will likely as not be over 100 degrees, and that might make some things not mail so well...

Once, in the summer, I went to a ladies get-together at a friend's house. She mentioned something about "some chocolate would be nice" and I just happened to have a bar of my favorite chocolove 70% in my purse. I had eaten about half of it, and just folded the wrapper over kind of loosely. I broke off a piece and gave it to her. She took a bite and started laughing so hard she couldn't talk. We all sat and looked at her, and tried to figure out what was so funny. Finally, she spit something into her palm and held it out for us to see. It was the (small) key to my 57 chevy. Had it been an unopened bar, it would have been OK, but at some point, the bar got a bit warm, probably sitting in my purse in the car, and that loose key found it's way into the chocolate.

I'm not sure what the moral of this story is, but I just thought of it. lol I guess it's "don't eat melty, pre-opened things out of people's purses in the summer in Texas."

Save    
compumom

LOL Sunny!
Glad to see that you will be able to play. I hate watching people get anxious about their swapmates!

Save    
lori316

Okay, a couple of very important things first:

First and foremost, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't stress!!! I want my partner to have as much fun doing this as I do each time. I'm easy, really.

Next: I am away from July 1 through somewhere around the 14th or 15th. I'll do my best to post and keep updated while I'm away, I promise.

One more important note: I am allergic to shellfish, pineapple, and coconut...all things that coincide with summer themes, of course. LOL I also stay away from red wines because they trigger migraines for me.

Okay, now on to the fun stuff:

It's me, Bob and just the last 3 kids still at home (14, 11, & 5). We are very casual 90% of the time. While we love to entertain, we love for our friends to relax and be comfortable/casual while in our home, and most of our gatherings are very informal.

While I think I'm an okay cook, I love, love, love to bake. There's always something sweet in the oven. We love chocolate, fruits, cakes, pies, breads, etc.

My favorite style of cooking (and eating!) is Italian.

We love rich cream sauces, as well as spicey; sweet as well as sour. We generally like to eat healthy during the week, but on the weekends, I indulge like nobody would believe (think Paula Deen's cooking/baking). Love to make elaborate, sinful desserts.

I love gadgets as well as cookbooks.

I currently live a whopping 2 miles from the house I grew up in, so regional themes are always very interesting to me. I don't get out much. LOL

Our new kitchen is just about a year old. It has hickory cabinets with Australian Cypress flooring. The counter top & island are a deep red (think cranberry), and our walls are a dark mustard color. Hmmm....looks better than it sounds. LOL

The dining room is a sage green with pine flooring and ceiling. Lots of wood, but light.

When we put the dining room addition on, we wiped out our old deck and now have a new one off the dining room. We are starting fresh outside with the yard and will be buying a new gas grill when we return from vacation. We currently have a charcoal grill, but usually use the gas for the convenience.

We are an active family and love sports, being outside, and the summers, although they're way too short here.

I hope this all helps, but as I said, please relax and enjoy. I've loved everything that was sent to me.

Save    
lindainct

Sorry to be posting to this late but we are on vacation on Marthas's Vineyard and have to go the the library to get on line.
Just DH and me at home (3 kids, 9 GK) and no fur babies at the moment.
We like to entertain, a lot, and I do a little catering. I love all kinds of serving pieces.
Kitchen colors are white and cobalt blue and a little yellow-we collect pineapples.
We enjoy eating almost anything except we prefer not too hot.
I have a small vegetable garden and I make pickles and lots of jam and jelly and I also post on the Harvest Forum.
The swaps I have participated in have been great and my partners have always sent things that I love; so partner, do not stress just have fun.
Linda

Save    
annie1992

Oh, I agree, don't stress at all over mine, I love everything I've ever gotten. Since I live in the same county I was born in and grew up in, I love regional items from other areas.

And don't forget the packing material!! I always smooth out the newspapers from my partner and read them. (grin) An added bonus.

Sonny, a person on another forum mentioned that she had pecan trees and that she was just going to use pecans as packing material. I thought "Heck, I'd just like the packing material". LOL

Annie

Save    
sburkhart

Hey there, I am Stacey. Born and raised here in West Virginia. I am a mother of 3 daughters Emily (step-16), Hannah (9), and Abigail (4). Married to DH John for 13 years. WE love grilling and picnicing. I grill 3-4 meals a week and we "picnic" usually at least once a week. The girls love it and am happy to abblige. All my girls like to dabble in the kitchen as well. We have alot of "family nights" with fun food and games or movies.

I am a country cook so to speak. You know country ham broth in the green beans. I love to bake and can. I like to make up recipes. We do have a garden from which I make pickles, salsa, and chili sauce. There is nothing like home canned green beans!!! Oh i love to share what I make too.

I love salad dressings, BBQ sauces, and marinades for grilling. I love gadgets to make my life in the kitchen easier. I collect cookbooks the more pictures the better and those community cookbooks too.

My hubby and I are remodeling our house. We just completed our living room and dining room. We ripped up the carpet and put down hardwood floors and painted the walls. It's called Red Ochue which looks like a orangish rust color. We soon will be moving to the kitchens...replacing the floors with the same hardwood and still debating the colors in there. I am thinking Sage???
Not much of a drinker... I do like an Amarietto sour every now and then.

BUT I am a BIG CHOCOLATE fan. Not too many placing here to get "good chocolate". No TJ or any of those type markets here. Just a Weis, Giant, Food Lion, and Walmart.
That is about it!

Stacey

Save    
sburkhart

Oh I forget to mention, I will be out of town July 10-13. I will be traveling to Chicago for a conference.
Stacey

Save    
TobyT

We are a family of four; DH, twin 10-year-old daughters and me. We live on acreage in a rural area, about an hour east of Vancouver, in the beautiful Fraser Valley. We are surrounded by farmland and the neighbouring township claims to be the raspberry capitol of Canada!
We cook and eat outside a lot in the summer (no bugs here!)and camp, boat and picnic on a regular basis. When we entertain it is most often casually with other families, although several times a year I like to have multi-course sit down dinners for 6-8 adults. I love fun and funky serving pieces. Our kitchen, dining room, family room area (all open) are mostly shades of sage and taupe with black and plum accents. Floors and cabinets are natural maple.
We are adventurous food-wise and like to try new things. I bake bread and sweets regularly and cook from scratch almost every night. We have no dietary or religious restrictions.
We are adventurous food wise and always open to trying new things. There isn't a TJ's within hundreds of miles of here (do you know where the nearest one is AnnT?)
I am easy going and easy to please - so have fun!
Jane

Save    
ann_t

Jane, would that be a Trader Joe's or a TJ Maxx? LOL! I'm pretty sure you have a Home Sense/Winners out your way, which is the same as TJ Maxx and the closest Trader Joes is in Washington state. We do have a World Foods in West Vancouver. Bit of a hike for you and in my opinion not worth it the drive.

Ann

Save    
mer4205

Update!

Hi Partners! I am going to be in Maine on vacation next week fyi. Will be back on July 2nd...There will be a nephew here watching the house...so if you are one to send your package early - there will be someone here....of course this means that my package to my partner will be going out after the 4th of July and probably contain some lobstah-jerky!!!-maria ;)

Save    
TobyT

Ann, sorry I meant Trader Joes. There are several in the Seattle area, Everett, Bellevue, Kirkland etc, so I just may have to go for a weekend in Seattle soon!
Jane

Save    
mustangs81

I have been so happy with each swap--my partners have all been wonderful and creative. So, I am tempted to leave it in my partner's capable hands and just enjoy yet another friendship that this activity spawns.

I think you all know that I love gadgets; but that might be a problem as I do have a considerable number of them.

I love dark chocolate, sauces, spices, oils, vinegars, etc. I also love unusual serving pieces and I collect regional cookbooks. Gee, I sound like most of the CF members.

The closest Trader Joe's is five states away. A Pensey's is only 200 miles from here. Fortunately a Wild Oats opened two months ago.

My kitchen is

, greens and has an

Save    
bubbeskitchen

This is a duplicate of what I just posted on the older thread.

Thought I'd better catch up and let the newer folks know a bit about me.
Married, all kids are too, and altogether there are 7 grandkids.

We have no allergies but a few dislikes or aversions:

DH loathes olives, the fruit.
I dont like florals very much and definitely dont heavily many scented things.
Like handmade or homemade just about anything.
I dont lean towards things Victorian or very ornate
Love metal, wood, stone, ceramic, organic looking things
Neither one of us is fond of the blood-sausage-type things.
We both like nuts, chocolate (mines dark, his is lighter but he is changing), spices, sweet and savory things. I love lemon,

We eat at home often, I love to set a pretty table, linen napkins everyday

We divide our time between NYC and a small town in CT.
We are moving in the fall to and down-sizing in NY.

CT: The country home is eclectic leans towards the whimsical or lyrical, my color palette is basically established by all the things that I own. You can check it out on picturetrail.com under bubbeskitchen. It is the Sherman House album.

NY is contemporary and traditional. We are changing our color palette when we move from the neutrals with dusty peach to spicy colors: saffron, ginger, paprika. My new kitchen is right out in the open; the counters are slate, the cabinets and appliances are wood-grain and the sink and stove are stainless. So I guess my new digs will be more contemporary to modern and streamline if I can do it. Here is a link: http://cielocondos.com/home12.html My kitchen layout is like the dining room picture link on the bottom of the "great spaces" page.
I kind of have a free-wheeling thing going on and an opportunity to try new stuff. I do intend to reduce visible clutter by containerizing a lot.

Thats what comes to mind right now. Hope that it helps.

Bubbe

Save    
lowspark

Just in case this might help anyone, here's the swapper info from the last swap. Good to have as much info as possible!

Save    
Terri_PacNW

to the top

Save    
craftyrn

We might need this on top

Save    
artsyshell

Things about me not posted previously... My kitchen has a wine theme to it. Walls are a mustardy colour, wine labels are blown up and wallpapered to the backspash. Lots of little wine steward decorations. Lots of Grapes as accents. Accents colours are black and aubergine, with some stainless steel. My dining room is Striped in an aubergine colour, with aubergine carpet. A little formal, eclectic.
I love mustards of all kinds, love spices, love olive oils, flavored vinegars etc. Like olives, differant types of crackers, differant kinds of salad dressings. Love pesto, Cilantro is a favorite as is garlic. Love cheeses of all kinds. Love kitchen gadgets, appliances and basically anything for the kitchen. I have a convection gas range, a convection wall oven and a convection microwave. My new favorite appliance, is my Saeco automatic esspresso machine, (love coffee, all flavors except for cinnamon coffee, although I like cinnamon). Like differant kinds of teas. Love to entertain. Try never to make the same thing twice for the same person unless it is requested. I love dishes (my collections include colours in either black, white or gold) Love accessories for entertaining. NO known allergies to anything

Probably much more than you wanted to know, but I am pretty easy, and love just about anything and evertyhing. Hope this helps.

Shelley

Save    
dedtired

Hi. I just read what I posted here earlier and almost nothing has changed. I enjoy inviting my friends over for a casual dinner. We eat at the small table on my patio or if the weather is too hot, inside at the dining room table. Sometimes we get together for drinks and snacks and sit on the porch. I am the only one with a screened in porch so i am popular during mosquito season. I make mixed drinks since my close friend is allergic to wine (sulfites)and I think it's fun to try trendy drinks.

I also entertain my book club regularly and serve wine and appetizers.

I still love having breakfast on the porch, especially a leisurely Sunday morning.

I have one tomato plant which currently has four green tomatoes on it! We have lots of good farm makets around so I let someone else do the farming. I truly enjoy all seasonal fruits as well as fresh corn.

I really like flower gardening and spend as much time on that as I can.

I loooove coffee and iced tea, but not so much hot tea.

I'll add more later. I have to get going now.

Save    
earthlydelights

bump

Save    
diana55

Here's the info on me.....I'm happily married with 1 daughter ( Rachelle 15 ) and a step daughter ( Ashley 21)She's never home!!!LOL You know that age!!! Kiko, and a cat named Puss Puss. Don't laugh, my daughter named the cat.
I love everything to do with cooking,and I love to bake too. I'm not fussy, so anything you buy me I will be happy with!!! I love Apple green & White. I do love silver too. Happy shopping!!! Diana55

Save    
Terri_PacNW

to the top

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular 8 Things Interior Designers Want You to Know
Get the scoop on certifications, project scope, working from afar and more
Full Story
Most Popular What Do Landscape Architects Do?
There are many misconceptions about what landscape architects do. Learn what they bring to a project
Full Story
Working With an Interior Designer 10 Things Decorators Want You to Know About What They Do
They do more than pick pretty colors. Here's what decorators can do for you — and how you can help them
Full Story