SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
regencywriter

Are my carpet rods ugly enough to stress over?

Alyssa Fernandez
8 months ago

We recently had our floors refinished, including the stair treads. The old stair runner was removed, and we saved the stair carpet rods, which not only help secure the runner since the treads all have a lip, but also fit the traditional style of our Williamsburg house. (Excuse all the nail holes while we're in progress--they're from the previous runner.)

To try to de-granny-fy our traditional house a little, we're having a new runner in a transitional wool herringbone installed (Godfrey Hirst "Eastleigh" in a color called Pecos, third row in this pic), and will be re-using the same rods.

The problem is, the old carpet rods are shiny 1990s polished brass. (Pic is from Rejuvenation, but mine are the same style.)

I was planning to buy new rods in a brushed finish or antique bronze until I realized how pricey they are. Should I just live with the brass? Will they more or less disappear once they're installed, or are they going to be an eyesore? Is there a way to paint or powdercoat the old rods and get a durable finish, or would that be as expensive as buying new? Thanks for any advice!

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals