August Reading
3 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (46)
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
Related Discussions
Trying dwarf meyers and dwarf Clementine...
Comments (1)Here is the clementine with the leaves curling up (not curling under). BTW I had this tree shipped from So Cal....See MoreAugust Reads
Comments (97)I liked Leonie Swann's "Three Bags Full". At least the sheep acted quite naturally which is more than can be said for some of the animal detectives! Being winter and cold, windy, raining etc. (Like the UK Summer this year apparently) I have been curling up under my cheap misprinted Winnie the Pooh blankie and listening to tapes so that I can keep my frozen mitts under wraps. I bought a lot of them from the local library who are selling old and donated, almost new, tapes. I like books I have already read, I find them easier to follow. I also like women readers better as they can deepen their voices for male characters but men don't sound right becoming women! What do other listeners think? I have been trying to get Kate Fenton's two early books from the Australian library system but no luck so far. I enjoyed her books very much and was reminded of her from another thread. Almost Spring, so a lot of my reading will be garden catalogues!...See MoreAugust reading --- in sun or shade....
Comments (64)I am in the midst of The Curse of the House of Foskett by M.R.C. Kasaskian, but I am not sure exactly why. It is the second of a series of mystery novels with a Sherlock Holmes-like detective (only distinctly nastier). In place of Watson is his female ward, tenderhearted but bright. I found the first book clever but unpleasant, and started this one to see if it would be better. So far it is not. The hook that keeps stringing me along is the ward's tragic love affair from days past, recounted in her diary but concealed from the outside world. As far as I can see, it is the only redeeming grace....See MorePlumeria Cuttings—Novice’s Concerns
Comments (2)I think there are several factors involved here. First is the time of year to root is more difficult as plants are entering their natural dormancy. I would add more time to your lights and place the cutting on a heat mat to warm the soil. The brown spots at the leaf nodes are a concern but I could not tell you specifically what to do about it yet besides get this thing rooted (more light, more heat) so it walls off the bad leaf nodes naturally. Consider reducing watering and using a neem oil spray to reduce fungus potential....See More- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years agolast modified: 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
- 3 years ago
Related Stories

GARDENING GUIDESCalifornia Gardener's August Checklist
Share the veggie wealth, help plants sip smartly and don't forget to enjoy the simple pleasure of relaxing in your garden
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESPacific Northwest Gardener's August Checklist
Deadheading perennials, cutting raspberry canes and preparing for the onion harvest keeps Northwest gardeners busy in August
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESTexas Gardener's August Garden Checklist
Here's how to help your garden thrive from the hot, dry month of August through fall
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESNative Wildflowers for the August Transition Into Fall
Keep the garden colorful with these stalwart perennials
Full Story
To-Dos: Your August Home Checklist
Make your home safe and secure and start getting organized for fall
Full Story
CALIFORNIA GARDENINGCalifornia Gardener's August Checklist
Pick up some great ideas from these travel-inspired plantings, even if your vacation is in your own backyard
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME15 Cozy Book Nooks and What They Want You to Read
Put the beach reads away; these comfy spaces are creating a fall reading list. What books do they suggest to you?
Full Story
LIFEHouzz Call: Where (and What) Are You Reading This Summer?
Whether you favor contemporary, classic or beach reads, do the long and lazy days of summer bring out the lit lover in you?
Full Story
EVENTSDon't Throw Away Another Household Item Before Reading This
Repair Cafe events around the world enlist savvy volunteers to fix broken lamps, bicycles, electronics, small appliances, clothing and more
Full Story
annpanagain