SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jonathan_gunnell

Electrical switch after another electrical switch and 12g vs 14g

Jonathan Gunnell
9 months ago

I have a single switch in my pantry that controls the light fixture in my attic. I need to install an outlet in the attic to run a dehumidifier and this line is the only line I can easily access up there. I like the idea of having the dehumidifier on a switch so that's already convenient, but I don't need the lightbulb up there on all the time while the dehumidifier is running and no one is up there. I'm thinking of installing an outlet in the attic after the switch in the pantry, then a new switch between the new outlet and the existing light fixture.

Two questions:

1) are there any safety concerns with switch > outlet > switch > light fixture? It seems fine to me, but I don't know that I've ever seen a switch after another switch before... Mostly because it doesn't usually make sense except in this case where the alternative would be to open up the attic floor and the pantry wall. I have no probably making sure the switch in the pantry is on before climbing up there and then having to flip another switch for the light bulb.

2) the old wiring is 12 gauge but I already have a mile of 14 gauge laying around so if it isn't likely to burn my house down, I'd like to drop the new outlet and new switch in with 14g between them. So it would be old switch <12g> new outlet <14g> new switch <12g> light fixture. Are there any safety concerns with that? The 14 gauge would only be between the new outlet and a single light bulb fixture, but I'm not sure if it comes into play when considering what may be plugged into the outlet (and anything else in my house on the same circuit).

Before someone asks, no, I didn't look up the code for my area yet. I know I'm allowed to do this type of work myself, just not totally sure how the code applies to these questions yet and asking y'all will be faster and easier than digging through the code. I'm just worried about "will this burn my house down?" first. I'll look up whether it's legal or not next. Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)