SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mts34

DESIGN DILEMMA: Create a Functional Kitchen for My Small Cape Cod

mts34
9 months ago
last modified: 9 months ago

Thank you in advance for helping me develop a better plan and look at more options that I may not have considered!

Background information: I purchased an 1100 square foot Cape Cod in central SC in August 2020 that is built over an extremely low crawl space. It was built in 1949 and has 3 bed rooms, 1 bath with tub (<40 square feet), living room, dining room, kitchen, tiny screened back porch, central hallway, and a small laundry room/storage area. The house was a rental for many years and there are lots of things that need to be repaired and/or replaced due to rot, neglect or age (rotting/warped windows, insulation, HVAC, gutters, exterior doors, water heater).

• All of the bushes around the house have been removed.

Budget: I do not have a bottomless budget. I need to make the repairs to the envelope of the house and have no idea what surprises will be found. I plan on using custom cabinets so I can make use of every inch of storage space.

Goal for my kitchen: My perfect kitchen would be very functional since I like to cook everything from scratch. I do bake but do not need a special area. It would have lots of natural light and few upper cabinets since I’m only 5’2” tall. I live alone with my 15 pound dog. The bench seat with storage below in the kitchen is for her and also for me when I need to keep an eye on something. All lower cabinets would be drawers.

• I do have visitors. We like to cook together but that doesn’t work in my current kitchen. I hosted 23 people at Thanksgiving one year. It was a pot- luck. I don’t usually have such big crowds but would expect at least once a year to host a crowd inside/outside for a meal.
  • Windows and doors in the kitchen area can be moved and resized for a better layout. I do not want to move the electrical panel, but can move the gas line and need to replace my water heater which is not shown but outside. I expect to move/alter at least one of the interior kitchen walls. I have no problems with galley kitchens as long as they are functional. I don’t want/need an island. A peninsula seems like a good idea. I’d like it to be big enough to be used as a buffet or extra work area; large enough to display a nice vase (flowers from the garden) or houseplant(s). The original kitchen and the dining room are currently the darkest rooms in my house, especially in the winter.
  • My kitchen would not be ornate, but should continue the modest crown molding in the rest of the house. Maybe it could be described as less than fully modern but with an artistic bent. The cabinets would probably be painted (not white, gray, or black). I’m hoping to use a bolder color for at least some cabinets. I’d like a lighter countertop and backsplash.

Appliances: 24” dishwasher, 24” induction cooktop with 3 burners (one that adjusts size), 30” stainless hood venting through the roof, Bosch 36 French-door refrigerator, 30” single wall oven. I’d love to be able to fit a freezer somewhere. I prefer to cook and freeze meals since I live alone and I store large flour containers in the freezer too. I just don’t know where it could fit.

Materials: I’m thinking of using Shaker cabinets, luxury vinyl tile or plank flooring, subway tiles for the backsplash and hopefully a subtle quartz for the countertops.

Windows/Doors: All windows and both exterior doors in the house will be replaced. I will be using new construction windows since I will be removing what may be asbestos shingles to look for rot and insulate. The windows and doors in the kitchen will be resized and relocated as needed (for cabinets, daylighting, and traffic flow).

Dimensions:

• Original Kitchen: 102h” x 149w” (this view is from the opening to the DR; the door is to the porch)

• Original Kitchen (this view is from the back door)

• Original Kitchen (this view is from the window near the stove)

My idea:

• Kitchen addition 102h” x 102w” of interior space
  • Kitchen dimensions now including the pathway to the back door: 102h” x 149w”
  • Current Dining Room: 117.5h” x 102w”

Other Information: I’ve attached a photo of an idea includes converting the smallest bedroom into a bathroom, at some later date, so that is more accessible. (This layout was done without much background knowledge just to make sure there was enough room for everything. The bathroom is not my focus right now. I just wanted to make sure that it would work in the future.) My current bathroom has a door opening of less than 24” and is very cramped.

Other Photos:

• Looking from LR through DR into the kitchen

• The doorway between the DR and K is centered with the archway, but the door to the back yard is not.

Comments (35)