SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laxist

Help! Non-toxic flooring for garage converted to playroom/gym?

laxist
11 months ago

Hello,

I live in coastal Southern California and am converting my garage into a playroom and home gym. I suspect it will also serve as a guest bedroom and sleepover den at some point in time. Therefore, I am searching for the best way to finish the floor with a no/low VOC material.

This room is now insulated with R-30 all the way around and has a mini-spilt. It also has a R-14 single garage door, which (hopefully once the work is done) will rarely be used and French doors on the yard side.

My thoughts and choices are/were:

- Polished concrete flooring, however the garage was built in 1946 and the concrete is soft and old. I have been told it cannot withstand the process and would crumble.

- Epoxy/Resin - however, some people seem very unsatisfied with that. I know there is the cheaper paint-on version which seems to last 3 years, and the more expensive, more durable version.

- LVP (or similar plank flooring) however, I am concerned that every time the garage door opens, the floor moves and eventually it's not a great choice. However, would installing a threshold fix this problem?

- Marmoleum I read is a great low VOC choice, however reviews on it seemed very mixed.

- Cork, I'm worried it's too delicate and a few years of lots of teenage boys playing and eating and spilling things will not withstand.

And truthfully, I'd love to have rubber garage flooring, but that seems to have a lot of VOCs.

Have you found a great product that works well for these purposes and has little to no off-gassing?And if so, should I still use a vapor barrier like Red Guard or an underlayment for these, given this is concrete?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)