SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sonya_sonnenberg46

Custom Home Floorplan Take 2

KidsinMT
3 years ago

Hi all, I'm back!

To recap:

My husband and I live in NW Montana with our three boys (1, 4, and 6yo) and one cat (17yo). We're building a home on a 0.3 acre lot on a nice little neighborhood street. The lot is very wooded, with a drop off/ravine down to a creek on one side and a neighbor on the other.

Our needs:

A main floor guest suite for aging parents who visit a lot.

3 bedrooms all on one floor for the nightly sleeping tango that happens with little kids (if these are on the main floor, one can double duty as the guest room)

Dedicated, private office

A large flexible space on the main floor near the living area, but with a door that will serve as a play room, a guest room, a study/library/music room, an extra dining room, basically a whatever we need it for when we need it room.

A highly functional mud room accessible from backyard.

An open concept living/kitchen/dining

Covered outdoor space for play and dining

Protected backyard area for playing

North and/or East facing bedrooms for us and the kids

Eventually will need space for kids to spread out - plan for space for 2 additional bedrooms on top of the minimum 3 we need now.

We also very much eventually (or now) want to have plenty of space for guests. Most of our guests come with children.

Lots of sunny spots to sit (mostly for me, though the cat will also appreciate them)

Similarly - lots of nooks for retreat, sunny or otherwise.

Walk-out basement as the foundation and room for family growth/guests

Assuming a ton of storage space down in the basement, then we only need a trim 2-car garage.

We know building up to a second floor (third counting the basement) is less expensive than the same square footage on one level, but we have a *strong* preference for one main level with all our "for now" needs and it eliminates a bedroom need (3+flex on one or 4+flex if on two).

We met with a couple architects over the course of this project and then found a builder we loved who connected us with a draftsman they recommend for more moderate budgets. Between the builder's suggestions for shape, orientation and size, we got a beautiful house designed. Took it back to the builder now in full post-covid craziness who kept up the relationship with us for a few months before saying that the house as drawn would be way out of our budget and that they were too busy to take our house on this year. Super disappointed, but that's okay.

We found a new builder and we tweaked the house with the draftsman so it was rectangular instead of an open angled-L. According to the builder, it was a better shape for foundation and roof but when I posted it here, folks, um, didn't so much care for it :).

We are also meeting with another architect on Tuesday and the builder at the end of the week so we'll have lots of opinions, but we're really digging our newest version of the floorplan and felt like I might be up for some anonymous internet help/criticism and suggestions to make sure we aren't missing anything when we talk to them this week.

It's so hard to get input on a whole house but I'll take whatever bits of advice you all have, I made a running list out of the last thread though it was 95% focused on the boys' room and their closet, which actually got smaller in this one, so I'm ready for that again :).

This is where we started:

pros - great use of topography, super trim square footage, lots of good things, actually, but -

cons - builder said it wasn't buildable in our budget plus the mudroom was not accessible to backyard or bathroom, less of a protected entry, no way to expand dining area to accommodate larger groups.

This was the next best option:

pros - No funky angle, vastly reduced foundation walls, protected entryway/foyer, beautiful stairwell with window seat, more private living room, much better boys' bedroom orientation (N/NE), bedroom wing bathrooms all consolidated for plumbing ease, added mudroom bath (don't worry about the lack of windows/weird placement, this was a rough version)

cons - Has to sit far back in the lot so we lose backyard, long hallway, people didn't like the boys' bedroom or the kitchen or...well, lots of things. If you'd like to read along, you can see that thread here: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6073545/custom-build-floorplan-for-review-constructive-criticism

And this is where we most recently ended!

With notes and stuff labeled, I know this is absurd but here it is:

This is a close up of a possible kitchen configuration:

Thanks to @mama goose_gw zn6OH for the helpful kitchen discussion.

My husband loves it, I'm wary of how big it seems and it kills me that we added a corner. We tried to put the mudroom door there to make it three straight lines and it just didn't quite work. Happy to hear opinions and suggestions. I also want to make the island 37.5-39" tall if anyone wants to weigh in on that. We're tall people and my kids are likely going to end up really tall, too, seems like it would be nice.

This is the mud room:

That bathroom at the end is more like a giant shower with a toilet in it. It'll have the toilet, a wall mounted sink and a handheld showerhead on a bar and a drying rack. I don't intend for guests to use it, but if I'm having a lot of people over, I'll certainly tidy up the mudroom and make sure it's accessible at least. Question - what do I do about the back door? Slider? Regular door with glass and a sidelight? Happy to hear general mudroom input and consider anything we might benefit from as a family with young kids in a very 4-season (heavy on the winter) locale. My personal preference is to keep the laundry by the bedrooms but there's plenty of space for a future owner (or us) to add/move laundry to the mudroom.

This is the boys' bedroom:

All three kids share a room now and I expect them to continue to do so until it's no longer working for one of them. If we add another child to the mix I put the 3-4 kid life span at 5-7 years, the 1-2 kid life span at 5-20 years from July 2022 which would be the expected move in date. Their bedroom is for sleeping, dressing, and reading at bedtime. My oldest also used it off and on this year for remote schooling when he had to hide from the overly "helpful" toddler.

It's smaller (9'x13.5') than the previous one and they lost the desk/reading nook, but it's more rectangular and the window is in the main area of the room. Main negatives - the drawers are in the doorway but also the stairs are across the hall so it's one hazard (for a few minutes at a time) or the other (all the time), happy to hear opinions or ideas for mitigating that. We could forgo a built in closet system and just shove a dresser further back in that spot, would probably gain 6" at least.

This is the hall bath:

I ran it off the page, but the shower is at the bottom, has a window and the wall jogs in to allow the stairs to turn underneath, it's probably clear enough on the floorplan I posted above.

I love the connection to the guest room, eliminates the need for the direct door and the double bathroom door issues without giving up any privacy. I love the window in the hallway and that there's so much natural light in the bathroom itself.

Negatives - far/hidden from living space - is "End of the hall, left and left" too much of a mouthful?

This is the general shape of the basement, but we won't even know where the walls have to be until after we talk to the builder and we won't know where the windows can go until after the draftsman gets it situated on the lot so this is super rough. It's smaller than the main floor - the dining area window nook and the end of our bedroom/closet would be cantilevered and the mudroom would probably be on a slab:

This was a sticky subject the first time I posted, but my original plan was to not finish the basement when we initially built. We still would have insulated, conditioned, and maybe drywalled. We would definitely stub in plumbing for laundry and a bathroom at a minimum. My concern is that we truly have no use for it now (except for storage and hosting lots of guests) and having the space fully finished means it's less flexible for when we actually need it. Nobody who commented liked that idea and my husband wants to just have the space to host friends and family from the get-go so we'll likely just go ahead and plan it out and finish it now. The new plan would be to make it partition-able so we can have long term guests or even tenants down there. I can't wrap my head around having so much space for no reason, so I'll probably end up with exchange students or seasonal tenants or something. It will be lovely to have it for visitors, but we'll probably only have such large numbers of visitors in the summer.

Our bedroom is pretty self-explanatory -

Main change is we nixed the walk in/walk through closet. We left the "cloffice" with the beautiful views as a walk in closet and office which could also double as a nursery should we/someone else need that. Someone else could just use the whole thing as a closet. I'll use the little built in closet in the doorway that backs up to the boys room and a dresser and/or part of the closet in the office if I need more space. If my husband ever goes back to the office full time I could use it as a work station or as a gym to pretend I exercise.

Our bathroom is more accessible here so the boys can use it when we have guests if the hall bath is overworked.

If we ever find ourselves in a situation where we desperately need an additional main floor en suite and we don't want to give up our own room, then we can remodel the play room and chop off the hallway/living room end to make a smaller (10x11.5) bedroom with a bathroom and closet.

I would consider swapping my parents room/bathroom section with the playroom/stairs section but then the playroom gets really far away from the living area and it definitely can't double as a dining area...

And that's where we stand now, I have a better appreciation for this community and really am open to thoughts and suggestions. I will be taking a list of considerations to our meetings with week. I'm hoping the architect we talk to on Tuesday can give us some definitive opinions as to whether we need an architect or if with some guidance and re-direction, the draftsman will be fine to design the house for us.

Comments (73)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

The kitchen looks good, but there are several things to consider on the island layout: You need some landing spaced to the right of the prep sink--maybe 12".

Since your family is tall you should consider a drawer model MW, rather than a MW in a cubby, although the taller height for the island would help.

And if you make the island smaller (note to shrink to 36"), keep in mind that you need a minimum of 15" seating overhang for comfort at counter height, and since you are tall, even with a higher counter you'll need at least that much. With a front overhang of at least 1", and a back cover panel of up to 3/4", depending on whether you use a cabinet skin or decorative panels, the island minimum depth will be 40-41".

Great idea to make the counters on the fridge wall deeper!

• lhmarmot
    3 years ago

As you have choice in bunk sizes - go double/queen on the bottom with twin/lx twin tops. You and stand on the bottom bunk to make the top ones. Sure makes it easier. Though I'd still separate the kids, or plan for that to be the case. My 2 shared till the older was about 12 - and it was their choice to do that even though they had their own rooms...

• Related Discussions

Need Your Opinions & Advice on Custom Home Floor Plan, Please!

Q

Comments (47)
    I would like to thank everyone who took the time to read through these posts and to post advice and suggestions and constructive criticism. I am taking all of it into consideration and some of it was not what i wanted nor expected to hear, but what I needed to hear. I feel as if a little more explanation is needed. We found a builder that we really like and everyone that he has built for has been really happy. He had several plans that we could look at or if we had any plans he could build whatever we liked. He has a gentleman that could draw and customize a home for us. We thought it was architect at first and the price was so good because we were going through him and he would then be able to have our house plan to use in the future. Upon our first meeting with the gentleman that was going to draw up of dream home so we could make it a reality, we learned that he was not an architect, or designer. He's retired now from 40 years of experience woking on/building homes and is good with the software. He is very kind and has been very patient with the many changes we have made along the way. However, we soon discovered that he really has no design ideas or suggestions. He just draws whatever we ask him to or whatever I draw to send to him. If we wanted something a changed, the standard procedure was to just make part of the house bigger, we had gotten up to almost 4400 square feet! If we didn't like the way something worked and asked for a change, he would fix that issue and cause 2 more. I got so frustrated that we are trying to build our dream home and pretty much the only person I had for design help was myself. Uhm, I really want someone with much more skill and talented and better taste to design my home. I know what I want, I just do't know how to get there. We have been working on this for 8 months. I got so frustrated that I gave up for 3 months. Our neighbors are using the same builder and they had difficulties getting their design as well. However they had found a floor plan that they liked and just had him make changes to it and add a mother in law plan. I firmly believe that we are his first truly start from scratch home. Again, this is the guy the builder sent us to to have plans drawn, not our builder. Giving him credit he has taking my very very basic sketches and turned them into something the builder can build from, but pretty much the design is about 99% me, not that I wanted it that way. Here is where I'm at, so you can see that he is doing all the builder type stuff. We don't want to be difficult, but we want a good design. We don't want the builder to think that we are difficult or indecisive because we just can't get there with his guy. I'm at a loss! Several people wanted to know the lot dimensions. So here they are: It is at the top of a ridge, has some slope to it and has a nice open are in the middle. Of course we want the house to sit about at the arrows part of the lot. There is an utility easement of 20 feet on the right side of the lot, but the utility poles are more like 30 feet inside the property. I really do appreciate all of your insight. It has been eye opening. I'll make another post addressing questions and comments. Sorry to be so long winded.
    ...See More

2nd Floor Semi-Custom Floorplan Design

Q

Comments (0)
    We've been working on laying out the 2nd floor of our Semi-Custom home. The builder allows us to design the interior layout as long as we don't make drastic changes to the outside walls of the house. Our primary goal is to try to comfortably fit 6 Bedrooms on our 2nd floor. The 3 Bedrooms on right side of the require their own bathrooms. Looking forward to getting any feedback about our design. Link to bigger image Left side zoomed Right top zoomed Right bottom zoomed
    ...See More

Custom Build Floorplan for Review/Constructive Criticism

Q

Comments (158)
    @A S yep, we definitely need outdoor space for playing and eating. We spend a lot of time outside when it's nice. I'm assuming they'll primarily play down by the creek but we'll have a nice flat sunny spot up behind the covered patio behind the garage that will be great for the littler ones. That was another reason we were trying to build out to the hill so we could protect that yard area. I think I've worked through my issues enough to just build the big house and be done with it. My husband wants to be able to bring friends and family to us and have plenty of space for them from the start. I asked him to find a friend to live there over the winter or I'd bring in an exchange student or get my brother to come live with us or even just rent it out. I can't handle all the planned/finished and completely unused space that's just going to sit there for years until the kids are big enough to be down there. I didn't want to move to the big fancy house my parents bought when I was 16 and this is basically just an extension of that identity crisis. So, as completely ridiculous as this thread was, thank you all. When we have a few more floorplan options I'll see if I can find my big girl panties and come back for input. Or not :).
    ...See More

Custom home floor plan feedback, round 1 of ?

Q

Comments (50)
    Thanks for clarifying. I'm not super quick to picture these suggestions (especially with the mental inertia that this design has). So I need to spend some time to try to sketch and see what that means on each level (right now swapping the entry/stairs sounds to me like opening the door into the guest suite or into the kitchen/living space). We were trying to keep mudroom and entry close (for flooring/tiles and easy path to coat closet -- an entry zone like bpath mentions), and rest assured the walls won't be blank. The upstairs purposefully walks into a wall as well rather than walking right into the bath, but maybe to make the left end of that hallway more meaningful, we can pull the office south so the doors are the end of the hallway? (rather than doors off of the hallway, and it ending in a not-to-be-blank wall) I see it's worth addressing each area where the angle disrupts rather than improves, though, and the three different segments of the stairs is one of those areas (the open basement might be the only space that "improves" with the angle, or perhaps it isn't as awkward as the others to draw attention to itself). If the area can't be fixed (kitchen seems like it needs some thought), then that really drives us to a different footprint.
    ...See More
  • Sara S
    3 years ago

Ive circled an area of your floorplan that consists of more hallway/walking space than anything else:

It seems like you could redistribute some of that hall area to either make rooms/closets larger, or just decrease square footage overall?

Its hard for me to guess your prioroties here, but as one example here I’ve moved the bathroom door to the main hall, moved the guest room door to the end of the main hall. This eliminates the extra hall to the guest room, and gives you room for the guest closet against the bathroom instead of against the master bath.

I made your boys closet larger, so it’s effectivelt side by side with the small master closet instead of back to back. I like how this gives an extra buffer between their room and your bed area... plus they’ll have no problem filling a larger closet with something, right?

This changes the proportions of the master, but if anything should make it larger, or the guest larger depending on your preference. Maybe the closet/office becomes more rectangular, and you rearrange the master bath to absorb what had been the guest closet space and some of that “hall” space right inside the master entrances?

As well as decreasing some hall, I like that It’s now less of a maze to find that bathroom from, say the living room.

The main downside I see is that some people are against doors at the end of a hall? Or maybe I’ve missing some important reason for that short hall area. That’s certainly possible!

• Architectrunnerguy
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I haven't had time to read the comments in both of your threads but noting their shear length, the best advice I can give you, is just keep in mind that no house is perfect. The end result is an assortment of compromises in which hopefully the tradeoffs result in a better design but it still won't be a perfect one.

But the best of luck in your build. Exciting times ahead!

KidsinMT thanked Architectrunnerguy
  • just_janni
    3 years ago

Well why not...

In this latest iteration, the bunk room is 9' wide and is sandwiched between the TV wall of the great room and the headboard of the master bedroom with windows available on only one 9' wall (think fire egress). They will also quickly be on varying sleep schedules and have different needs for study and privacy. There's a lot to unpack in the preceding statements.

It's one thing to share rooms when space is an issue - growing up my Irish Catholic best friend's house has 8 people in a fairly small split level - EVERYONE buddied up - and my friend was in the serious basement with her sister. There were no spare rooms, no guest rooms - everyone pitched in and made do because they HAD TO.

This house, and the use of space for it's inhabitants feels incongruous to the family narrative. I looks like you are going to spend about $800K-$1M and house them way differently than the rest of the house presents itself.

I do think that it's a good idea to finish all the basement space in the event that the bunk room doesn't pan out like you envisioned (and really - after insulating, electrical, HVAC and drywall - all that's left is the cheap stuff...)

• KidsinMT
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@mama goose_gw zn6OH thank you for chiming in! Honestly, I'd prefer the microwave at counter height somewhere -do you have a suggestion as to where? Seemed like the only spot it could go was the corner and I wasn't sure how functional that was or which way it would point. Also need a place for coffee making.

We had 26" deep drawer bases along our range wall in our last house and it was so nice, really makes a difference in usability of everything over there plus all my pots and pans fit in those massive drawers (3" extra depth over standard) with room to spare. And it helps hide a standard size fridge.

How big is a useful prep sink? They seem to come in every size.

• lyfia
    3 years ago

Based on the feedback here I would consider changing the bunk room to add another 2ft in width to it. This makes it a decent size bedroom and if you ever need to sell and you haven't finished the basement yet then this won't be a detriment to being able to sell the house. Most do not value bedrooms in the basement the same as a bedroom on the main level.

Why did I say based on the feedback here. Sounds like a lot of people wouldn't like the bunk room feature for daily living - you do, but it is just as likely buyers don't and having a 9ft wide bedroom is something that is generally only seen in older homes so buyers would consider it less than appealing and it could make it hard to sell if you ever needed to. I don't think the extra 2ft of width will be a huge amount extra to build, but it could make a huge difference in the price of the house when you go to sell.

The kitchen looks so much more functional now for a large family. You have several spaces for people to work. I think doing a taller island to work for you guys would be fine as it is a small adjustment to make for a future buyer, however if you do remember stools are not built for the extra height so if a lot of your height is in the legs (my torso is normal and legs pushed my height up) then normal stools would need to be height adjusted and especially true for guests who don't share your family's height.

Could the garage be shifted so it sticks out on the back instead of the front? Meaning it looks a little setback from the house and not as it is the main feature of the house.

I do think you ended up with a lot of hallway in the current version and the path to the bathroom for guests will be a bit like a maze since they won't be using the mudroom bath. Also the boys and especially the little ones will likely have more accidents trying to make it there at night or when potty training or even later. Ours always turned into emergencies during that time and we had a short straight path to the bathroom from the playroom. Still at double digit age it can be an issue due to too busy doing things and wait too long.

For a hall laundry see about making it a little extra deep so you can have some space in front of the washer/dryer to work and people walk (run) by.

KidsinMT thanked lyfia
  • KidsinMT
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Sara S That's an awesome redistribution of hallway space for sure, thank you for commenting! That really reduced the hallway space. If these were both just kids' rooms that would be way better than what we have. One of our priorities was keeping the guest room private and originally we wanted a direct door into the bathroom. When two bathroom doors seemed like it was going to be a bad idea we still wanted to keep it private. Here, it's almost like its own suite and if you stuck a door on the end it would be. I figured the kids would just use our bathroom, the mudroom bathroom, and the downstairs bathroom when we had grandparents visiting. Once they're so big/smelly/in need of privacy I assume they'll be in their own rooms downstairs. We all share one bathroom now and it's fine.

My husband thought having the door be visible from the living area would make guests less comfortable. The window in the hallway was a bonus that will make that spot a nice place to walk through at least.

But like @Architectrunnerguy said, there are a lot of competing priorities and no house is perfect so we should think about what we're willing to give up. I'm sure the architect we talk to this week will have an opinion.

• KidsinMT
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@lhmarmot Good point - we'll likely end up with a queen or at least a double on the bottom of the back bunk so I'm glad that will help with bed-making!

And that is what I'm thinking - my kids will share for as long as it's working for them. Once someone wants to have their own room they'll have it, or what I kind of expect will be more likely, they'll convince one of their siblings to move in to a new room with them. I was assuming it would be around 12 but I suppose it could be earlier or later than that depending on the kids. My middle kiddo said he'd sleep in his own room in the new house but only if there were a secret door to his brother's room in the closet and his father slept with him, too :).

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

Check with the city zoning department to see if your site can be considered to have a front yard setback and two side yard setbacks without a rear yard setback. This could pick you up another ten feet along your north property line to plan the house.

KidsinMT thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • KidsinMT
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@just_janni

"This house, and the use of space for it's inhabitants feels incongruous to the family narrative. I looks like you are going to spend about $800K-$1M and house them way differently than the rest of the house presents itself."

So that's an interesting thought. I'm going to think about that for a while. Honestly that's sort of one of the reasons we didn't buy anything. We would have spent $500-800k on a home that needed $100k worth of work bare minimum in pre-covid numbers. I couldn't fathom doing that and ending up with something that still wasn't appropriate for us (7' tall basements, itty bitty attic rooms with sloping ceilings and split entry stairs are a big thing here, for example - literally the worst possible and completely unfixable entryway situation).

To me, we're building a 5 bedroom home with a bonus anything room. Two main floor "grown up" rooms, a bunk/bedroom for little kids, and two bedrooms in the lower level for older kids. We have three children. Even if we add a fourth, every single child could have their own room without using the guest room. Yes they would still be sharing two bathrooms between the four of them but there would be our bathroom and the mudroom bathroom for added flexibility. And by the time the youngest two are separating the oldest might even be out of the house. The price the 4th child in the pecking order would pay (maybe the "home from college" child) would be the weird door into the living area in exchange for the biggest, sunniest room in the house.

I definitely agree the bed against their room is less than ideal, we like the nook-ish-ness of the bed against that wall but someone else could put it against the north wall instead.

We won't have a TV in the great room. If someone else wanted one there over all the other options and didn't want beds behind it, I would guess that bedroom could be an office or an occasional guest room (or a guest bunkroom) or a den or a playroom or a really cool study/homework room with a long desk instead of bunks for that family since there are *3* more bedrooms plus the bonus space available for that future family's children.

A bunkroom is not a weird thing here and not all 5 person families want to live in a 6 bed/5 bath/2 office 4000+ sqft 3 story house. As truly lovely as the home of @A S sounds, I don't think that can/should be considered normal.

• KidsinMT
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Mark Bischak, Architectr omg if that's true that could literally change everything. Do you think because it's almost a corner lot they'd go for that? None of the builders or architects who walked the lot mentioned that. I'm going to not get my hopes up and call today. Thank you!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

I'd recommend at least 18" for a prep sink, but with the 8' island you could go up to 24", put the MW to the right of the sink, for landing space, and still have 4' to the left, for prep. Coffee maker could go to the right of the fridge or in the corner to the right of the clean-up sink, whichever seems more convenient to the traffic path and work flow.

Most MW's open right-to-left, so keep that in mind for a countertop model, if you don't keep the MW on the island. I have mine in the 36" between the fridge and range, concealed in a box, and even though my counters are 28" deep on that run, it doesn't leave much landing space in the front. The cabinet door on my MW box drops down to provide a deeper landing space, and it's also lined with sheet metal so I can use it for hot pans from the range burners or oven. That, in itself, has been as convenient as the added landing space. I'll try to find a pic to add.

ETA, a pic taken during a marathon production of party mix. Note the hi-tech use of thumb tacks to affix the sheet metal to the cabinet door. ;)

KidsinMT thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • KidsinMT
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@lyfia just seeing your comment now, thank you!

I'm leaning toward making the room 10' wide, either by adding length to the whole house or stealing 6" from my room and 6" from the living room.

And you're right, it's not because I think it's necessary for us but because if 10' is some magic minimum dimension for someone else to think it's a useful room then maybe I need to build to that.

You actually just gave me a good idea - I should post this in the local mom's forum and see their feedback. I'm having a hard time reconciling some of this feedback with the advice we've already gotten from local professionals (realtor, builders, architect).

We'll revisit the guest room privacy with the "bathroom is hidden" problem and see what we want to prioritize, definitely going to ask our realtor and the architect about that one.

We could make the garage flush but it would be really shallow if we push it back at all we encroach on the protected backyard and possible covered patio area. I wanted a side-entry garage but the lot doesn't really allow for it. Unless @Mark Bischak, Architect is right and we have 10 more feet of depth...

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

It all depends on the zoning administrator. It may or may not be addressed in the zoning ordinance itself, but there may be a way to show a hardship that you may be able to get a variance at the very least. Run it by the architect or designer that have worked on the house to get their input.

You may be able to say when you approach the zoning administrator, "An architect friend of mine looked at the survey of our site and suggested, because of the triangular site shape and site topography, that the front yard setback be applied along the road side property line and side yard setbacks be applied to the two property lines that project from the front property line and road."

Ask in the morning and bring coffee and doughnuts (just kidding).

• just_janni
    3 years ago

Finishing the basement now eliminates some of the issues, I think, with the viability of the bunk room for any extended period. and maybe I'd get behind the bunk room CONCEPT if he actual space seemed welcoming and designed for a cool cohabitation experience - you know what I mean?

If the bunk room was large, maybe enough to have a play / gaming area, or desks, as well as several windows etc. - and the bunks were done to create this kind of "kid heaven" I'd be all for it - but maybe that only works for older kids - and it seems like you are addressing that with the additional bedrooms in the lower level.

My weird self is just envisioning folks coming over to celebrate new house, and the tours being given - here's the finished basement with 2 bedrooms, man cave, storage, main floor guest suite, music room, master suite, (basically 5 bedrooms and 4 full bathrooms, like you said) and here's the kids room now- all three sharing an oddly small room.

• partim
    3 years ago

As I said in the last thread, it's your own business who sleeps in which bedroom and that will change over time. Honestly I think one of the "mistakes" you made was telling us that 3 children were going to sleep in one bedroom. That's nobody's business and I think it was a distraction.

But I don't think you should build a house with a bedroom that is so much different than most people would want. And a 9 foot wide, L shaped bedroom would fall in to the "odd" category for most people. Make it more generic by widening it. You'll be happy down the road when it comes time to sell, or when you change around the sleeping arrangements.

• cpartist
    3 years ago

I'm not reading through all this but will say this is not a livable house. You say you can't afford an architect so you chose a "draftsman" who calls themself a designer. He/she is NO designer. He/she is a draftsman with a CAD program and no sense of good design or they would be pushing back on some of what's here. You need someone who had design skills and not just knows how to push buttons on a CAD program.

• cpartist
    3 years ago

PS I worked with a draftsman who called himself a designer. He wasn't but luckily I am so I was able to know when something was wrong, ask advice here and also knew how to show him changes to make it right. However if I had it to do over, I would have hired an architect right from the beginning and saved myself months of grief and problems in the build because I didn't know what I didn't know and neither did the "designer".

Don't be penny wise and pound foolish as my Mom used to say.

• KidsinMT
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Mark Bischak, Architect haha, perfect, I'll do , thank you for the advice!

• KidsinMT
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@just_janni haha, thanks for the continued conversation here. We can make that room 9.5' or even 10' wide so that someone else doesn't think it's weird, that's fine.

But making the bedroom significantly bigger, with bigger windows and a place for toys or multiple desks or whatever would literally make it a worse bedroom for my kids. For example, if I switched them with the guest room it would an awful spot for them. In our opinion and experience, bedrooms for small kids should be cozy, easily darkened, close to their parents, and the minimum size for sleeping and dressing and reading. The window stays covered 12-16 hours out of the day. The entire rest of the house is for co-habitating. We'll have a dedicated kid heaven room in the sunny corner of the living area of the home.

• KidsinMT
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@partim that was definitely a mistake. I rue the choice, believe me. I should have just said the bunkroom was for the two little guys and sleepovers. Or, heck, just a nursery with the big kids in the lower bedrooms.

• tangerinedoor
    3 years ago

It looks like, per the OP's post ^^^^, at least some of the kids are projected to share a room for the next 20 years.

That would mean at least one boy would be 20+. All kinds of no, not least because the bed(s) won't be big enough.

And, the OP might have had 2-3 young kids in a bedroom at once, but 4 teenagers? Nooooooo!

IMO a real architect is needed here, and not a designer who coordinates with a builder. It requires someone who understands how people live, interact, and move through space, not just how to draw and hand instructions to a builder.

[I can't figure out why there's a new thread on the same topic? It's difficult to tell what's been discussed before.]

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

Partim is right though. A room that shape and size is not good for resale. Making it marginally bigger makes it much more traditional in size as a bedroom. Who you put in said room is your call. But a 9’ room is far from ideal regardless of who is in it.

• emilyam819
    3 years ago

The room is rectangular. The closet makes it look like an L, but really it’s flush with the wall.

KidsinMT thanked emilyam819
  • suezbell
    3 years ago

Not a pro; just some thoughts:

If you are building on a small lot rather than large tract of land, a smaller footprint for your home can mean more outdoor space for a swing set and/or patio/BBQ so, before making any decision, consider both present and future ... including that you might want at least a small yard for indoor/outdoor living. Also, adding a home lift -- elevator or seat lift for stairs -- could give you more options with regard to an in-law suite being in the basement but having access to the main floor -- and that could help with laundry day (as could a laundry chute from an attic/penthouse/bunkhouse).

If you are willing to consider reserving one full floor as your "bunkhouse", consider the upstairs/attic -- the right roof/dormer/gable design could make the "penthouse"/"attic" the perfect "bunkhouse". While your youngest could be sleeping in a "nursery"/bonus room for a while, you could go ahead and add his (a third) twin bed to the "bunkhouse" floor and put some of his toys/clothes in his closet -- less argument or hard feelings as "turf" disputes later..

Your architect could help you design the RIGHT roof/dormer design -- one over a home without a lot of small McMansion angles in exterior walls or roof line. Perhaps a rectangle with two end gables and three sets of windows in three dormers. Perhaps a Mansard roof or even a Gambrel/barn roof -- designed so you have front and back upstairs exterior walls walls directly over downstairs exterior walls with the sloped roof over a front and back full width 6' deep porch ... enabling bay windows to be covered.

If you're building a "traditional" rectangle house with full walk out basement and full length attic -- but with a roof designed for your "penthouse"/"bunkhouse", against one wall (north/dark/least desirable view), you could locate the stairwell with a half/half Dutch door at the top of the stairs and a full bath and several closets -- two on each side of the centered entry/bath ( one for each son and one that could be shared - bed&bath items and winter coats and a spare vac/cleaning supplies).

With the necessities all along one wall, you could then create a full length "hallway" (walk path to be kept cleared) with windows on each end to let in natural light -- but use only a bookshelf half wall with posts (as needed for roof support) and leave three door sized openings -- all leading to the same single large room on the other side of the upstairs of the house.

In the large room (full length of the house) you might be able to create three wide dormers evenly spaced against the exterior wall to create three distinctly separate spaces - each a niche about 8' wide -- for three twin bed frames for the three boys (no headboard or foot board. The right cushions could make the bed usable as a day bed for seating. Creating each bed frame on wheels and with storage space below could help keep toys/clutter in check. (A place for everything and everything in its place can be a good habit to teach small children.)

Later, as the boys grow up ( if needed for privacy/to keep the peace), you could add room dividing furnishings or actually add divider walls between the three spaces and/or finish the half wall ... or part of it.

Designing your rooms on the other two floor levels -- main floor/basement -- so the "bedrooms" could be used for other purposes as your family's needs change is worth considering.

On the main floor, the master bedroom suite could share a bath&half with a bonus room that could begin as a nursery but become a guest bedroom or an office, etc.

In the basement, a part time use in-law suite could share a bath&half with an office -- more privacy most of the time. A common sitting room could serve as a family room/game room later if the office is moved to the room no longer needed as a nursery.

You might consider using three small adjoining rooms for a bath&half on each of the three floors -- two separate powder rooms, each with access to a bath/shower combo.

KidsinMT thanked suezbell
  • Indecisiveness
    3 years ago

If you put the office in the basement, you can rearrange the floor plan to add that area to the kids room. (You’ve said several times you don’t want a huge house, you don’t want unused space, if you finish the whole basement you’ll have to rent it out)

Twin XL beds are 80” long; if you want to have two along one wall, the space should be 172” long = 14’ 4”. Giving you 12” of room for head/foot boards.

For twin beds, you’d want 75”+75”+12 = 162” = 13’6”

• KidsinMT
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@emilyam819 thanks for that :). Also I meant to follow up on your other comment - I think home office/gym combos are definitely a neat product of this crazy year we're living through. Glad you'll get to go from pretending to take baths to pretending to exercise ;).

Your closet vs bookshelf idea is great - should I just include it in the laundry closet? I was thinking doors that hid away because there isn't space for pocket doors but I could put a triple slider over the whole thing and then still access everything when I needed to. I'd get a whole foot back from not needing the door slots and could just partition off the left side for off season coats and the vacuum or laundry baskets or something.

As long as it was separated from the washer/dryer but behind the same doors do you think it would get grimy?

• emilyam819
    3 years ago

LOL.
    I see the laundry plus closet is 7.5’, so maybe that is too big for one large closet. Good point about getting grimy. I would not want to store clothes amidst laundry dust.

KidsinMT thanked emilyam819
  • suezbell
    3 years ago

If your upstairs could become an "H" with four gables -- two facing forward and two facing back -- connected by a center ridge in between, perhaps you could have three separate spaces or rooms with the bath and storage over the garage.

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    3 years ago

following

• suezbell
    3 years ago

Perhaps Medicare or Medicaid or other insurance or even a local charity might be able to help you get one of these kinds of lifts for an elderly relative that begins staying with you frequently or permanently and/or have it built in and include it in the cost/value of the house. You might even include a closet to park the lift in when not in use. Or, you could add one later as long as you initially build your steps between the main floor and the basement wide enough to accommodate one -- and do make the steps wide enough to be able to walk beside it, too. It can enable a handicapped person to move between basement and center/main floor -- or even a healthy person to do so more easily with a laundry basket. If you are thinking you might add one later, then don't plan to have a turn in the steps to which you want it added as that likely would increase cost.

https://assisted-lifting.com/products/lifetime-warranty-stair-lift?variant=33692130803848&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&matchtype=&network=g&device=c&adposition=&keyword=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIieimiO7-7gIVDlNyCh3xOgl4EAQYAiABEgKuZvD_BwE 

One thought -- since there would be no basement beneath the garage and its concrete floor, a good place for steps might be along and against the back wall of the garage with one set of steps atop, going up and another set of steps below, going down. You could still put at least a storage/bonus room over the garage even if you wouldn't want to locate a bedroom there -- an especially good idea if the upstairs is to be the boys' penthouse/bunkhouse.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/476185360588117757/

• KidsinMT
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Mark Bischak, Architect YOU (and Tara from the city planning office) ARE MY FAVORITE RIGHT NOW, THANK YOU SO MUCH! Just got off the phone and it's definitely a side setback. The rear setback is just 20 feet from a 10' line across our back corner.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

It pays to use an experienced architect. Look for a local one to help you with your house design with grey hair, slightly overweight, and looks like an unmade bed.

• booty bums
    3 years ago

I think you are better off to stop soliciting advice on this forum.

Your family lifestyle and living habits are so far removed from the general population and you are quite insistent on sticking with controversial design elements.

People here will continue to point out the same changes, and you will continue to stick with what apparently works for your family, until everyone is 'blue in the face.' Just build whatever you think works for your your highly unique family.

No one is going to be convinced that having a "giant shower with a toilet inside" your mudroom is a good idea. Or having a prison cell sized bedroom to house 3-4 kids is a good idea. Or having to pass through closets to get to bathrooms & offices is a good idea.

• H202
    3 years ago

As many have said, you're building a house for today's needs and not thinking about tomorrow. The emphasis you are putting on accommodating your aging parents for their periodic visits is nuts to me. Insisting they get a master suite with good sized closet on the main floor, while your own kids are shoved in a tiny room with no bathroom, no usable windows, and a closet from 1930 does not make sense. Needing to fit a table for 20 "because that's what your mom did" or a large island because your mom said so, or needing ensuite bathroom or the best windows in the house because that's what your parents are demanding .... Why are these demands going before your own nuclear family's needs?

And not to state the obvious, but if your mom is already so incapacitated that she can't handle stairs, for how many years do you think they'll be coming to visit for these lengthy stays? Why build the house around their today needs when this is not going to be your medium or long term situation?

If you're insistent on accommodating them, what about making the downstairs more of their separate inlaws space/bonus room/kitchenette (to get them out of your hair and your kids' hair) and put an elevator in? Then you aren't designing your whole main floor around the needs of people who will only be there 20% of the time, with likely declining use over time.

Finally, i've said it before.... but you said in the other thread that you guys looked at every house and all the custom build ones and absolutely none of them were usable. Now you know exactly what people will say about your house when you try to sell it!

• suedonim75
    3 years ago

In our opinion and experience, bedrooms for small kids should be cozy, easily darkened, close to their parents, and the minimum size for sleeping and dressing and reading.

Right, your opinion. And it is definitely an opinion that 99% of people don't share. This sounds like a cell at a juvenile detention center. And you mentioned the Mommy Blogs, why would you take their advice over the advice from an actual Architect? I grew up with kids whose parents had foster kids. Every room was set up like this. Everyone crammed in a tiny room with bunk beds lining the walls. It was horribly depressing. They have no fond memories of sharing rooms with siblings much younger than themselves. Or sharing every last thing they owned in the common spaces. Or getting their clothes from other rooms because there was nowhere for them in their own rooms.

• PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    3 years ago

I’ll probably post one off ideas as they come to me. First one, add boot warmers/dryers under mudroom bench for warm feet in MT winters. Second, I don’t like prep sink on corner of island closest to mudroom - when you come in with arms full of groceries that is the spot you’d want to drop them, I’m assuming

KidsinMT thanked adalisa frazzini
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

With the newly discovered extra space available to build the home, I would recommend starting over with a competent local architect.

• Felix Pradas
    3 years ago

Hi there, please take a look at this variation of your floor plan.

I moved and rearranged the spaces to fit your goals in a more organic manner. This design increases the footage of the house slightly.

The guest bedroom now has its own bath. It shares pipes with the boys bath, reducing costs. The boy's bath is oversized to accommodate more than one person at a time.

I moved the living room to the side of the garage. This allows for a partially secluded space that fosters relaxion and conversation and is shielded from the main entrance. Visitors at the front door see the dining room (not the living room) which is usually a tidier space.

I would try to place large pane glass windows or floor to ceiling panels on the dining and living room walls facing northeast.

I made the cooking and meal space the center of the home to reflect the reality that this is the core of a home.

I did not include windows. You can do that since you know the site and the impact of the weather patterns in your region.

I will carve some time and make for you a 3D rendition of the spaces so you can see the flow and character of the spaces.

Notice that the front entrance is shielded by side walls and it is close to the mudroom with an aim to promote quick access to supplies and items stored there from both the entrance and the garage.

There is also what seems to be empty space between the dining room and the kitchen. This space is very important for it allows the house and the furniture to breathe.

Also, I gave the stairs a bigger presence in the house. Narrow stairs that are hidden away foster disunity and effectively hamper proper supervision of the basement space.

The area in pink is an additional mudroom that adds storage space to the trimmed down garage, access to the east yard, and evens out the side of the house facing the street. I also added a suggestion of an entryway treatment.

I hope this helps.

KidsinMT thanked Felix Pradas
  • Felix Pradas
    3 years ago

KidsinMT, have you had a chance to review the revised floor plan I posted for you?

• KidsinMT
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Felix Pradasx Thanks so much for taking the time to do that, we're going to move forward in a different direction but I appreciate your input!

• Felix Pradas
    3 years ago

Best of luck! I am glad to be of service.

• isabellagracepan
    3 years ago

Felix, that was really nice of you to do that! What a nice thing to do to help a complete stranger.

• Felix Pradas
    3 years ago

My dear Isabella, come to think about, there are no strangers, just cousins we have not met yet. Cheers!

• suezbell
    3 years ago

If you're putting the boys' room(s) adjacent to the master bedroom, make sure the master bedroom is sound proof ... unless you want your pre-teen and teen age boys snickering at every sound. Remember that there are monitors that can be wired in (think office intercom) or wireless ones you could add later if you do decide to make either the basement or the attic the boys' bunkhouse.

if this is to be your forever home, have the main, easily accessible, center floor be what you'd want for retirement for just the two of you after your boys are off to college and lives of their own.

If you have an elderly relative that may be living "with" you, consider creating an efficiency apartment for that relative so you both have independence and privacy ... and you could even re-purpose it later on as an apartment for one of your sons or even yourself a century or so from now.

Good luck with your project. (Do post after pics letting us know how it turns out.)

• suezbell
    3 years ago

Forgot to mention.

Before you make a final decision, DO pay close attention to where the north and south and east and west -- direct sunlight or dark wall -- will be so you get enough light into the rooms you want to have light. It will matter much more than you realize if you get it wrong.

[Also, if you do consider adding an efficiency apartment rather than a spare bedroom for an elderly relative, consider creating it so it shares a second (side) entry/foyer that could have a full wall of closets on the side opposite the apartment entrance for a washer and dryer you share -- effectively a back entry hall that serves as your laundry/mudroom, too, without looking like one]

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

The OP stated " . . . we're going to move forward in a different direction . . . ", which I hope means they find a competent local architect (or Architectrunnerguy) that will design a home that meets their needs (present and future) and fits the site. Sites with out of the ordinary features give opportunity to creative solutions that enhance the lives of those that live there and anyone that sees the home.

• PRO
    Photo Booth Rental
    2 years ago

Definitely a good discussion thank for the information.