SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
getgoing100_7b_nj

Is this a Saskatoon serviceberry? If so, can one tell which one?

getgoing100_7b_nj
11 months ago

A few years back I tasted some wonderful berries hanging from a low umbrella shaped little tree that lines the road along my condo. They were different shades of purple blue, some ripe but not others, much tastier than blueberries IMHO. Anyhow, I did some digging on the internet and concluded they were Saskatoon berries and then forgot all about until this growing season when I decided I wanted to grow some on my balcony. Anyhow, I was looking for the northline cultivar of a amelanchier alnifolia as it apparently is best one in terms of yield and taste but not finding all good affordable source. So, I decided to start one from cutting off the trees and went and pulled a few shoots with heels from the lower part of the trunk, which are likely to be removed by the landscaper anyhow. However, I am not sure it was the right tree or not. Here are some pics for the ID. As luck would have it, I found what I was looking for (northline) in a gallon rose pot at lowes. There two puny rooted cuttings in a sea of peat. The little cuttings would easily fit a tall 4inch pot. These cuttings look very different from the shoots I picked up. Anyhow, I still want to try to propagate the condo berries. Are these serviceberry shoots? If so, can one tell which species? There appear to be many species and also several cultivars at least for alnifolia. The last pic is the northline.

Comments (18)