SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mustangmike_gw

Do I need a new mower? If so, which one?

mustangmike
17 years ago

I have a 1990 Toro GTS 5 with the suzuki 5hp, bbc, 3sp rear bagger - GREAT mower! I use it to mow my 1/3 acre yard and have done my best to preserve it because I like it and how it cuts so much. On top of that, so many of the new mowers just seem cheaply built for the money - my toro is SOLID! Anyway, it's been running and cutting great with the bag on, but I put the mulching attachment on the other night (after not using it for about 2 years) and started having some problems. In moderately heavy grass, the mower bogged down significantly and as it did, started knocking - severely. It knocks every time it boggs down and knocks louder and louder the more it boggs. The grass was heavy, but not heavy enough to clump up or even notice any clippings. Mower has always been well maintained and blade is sharp - it's a high lift blade, oil is full. I'm forced to mulch lately in an attempt do everything I can to improve soil conditions.

I have to assume the motor is wearing out - being that under load, it's severely underpowered. I have a backup motor, but it is just as old, so I can't rely on it for much longer either. Should I consider replacing the mower?

I've been looking around on the internet and narrowed it down to two mowers I would consider. The JD JX75 and the Honda commercial HRC216HXA. I want a bbc, set speed trans (no personal pace), and a honda, suzuki, or kawasaki engine (no briggs for me - no disrespect, just have seen too many that don't last and/or burn oil). Would prefer to pick up a nice used one but may buy a new one, IF you agree that I need to buy a new one! Would you tell me to look at any other mowers? Toro Pro-line's look good too, but not quite as user friendly as the JD or Honda.

Should I just rebuild the motor in my current Toro? Help!

Thanks!!!

Mike

Comments (2)