SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
simoneid

Garrison Colonial Interior Layout Split Level

Simone ID
11 months ago

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a 1955 Garrison Colonial Split-Level with an open floor plan and am looking for some ideas on how to join the first two floors for a better flow. I am also open to ideas on improving the curb appeal.

When you first walk in, there is a half wall to the left and a small stair opening connecting you to the 2nd level. My thought is to make the 1st floor the dining room and the 2nd floor the living room and kitchen.

I'd like to create some sort of entry that welcomes you to hang your coat, take off your shoes, etc. Not sure if I should keep the short wall, or remove it and open the space up. There is a double-wide closet to the right when you come in.

Then, regarding the staircase, originally I thought of keeping the staircase where it is but making it wider and aligning it with the catwalk above where there are (3) bedrooms. But then I was wondering about moving the staircase to be centered on the (3) windows and making it super wide and modern. However, this means walking around a dining table to get to the main living area.

The two spaces need some sort of connection and I'm curious to hear what all your thoughts are. I've never seen a Garrison Colonial with this modern floor plan, which is what drew us to this house. Any thoughts or opinions are greatly appreciated!!

FYI - there is hardwood underneath the carpeting which will be exposed!

Comments (6)