SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katatdish

Exterior paint colors? Any thoughts?

katatdish
last year
last modified: last year

Hi all! We have decided to paint the exterior of our new home. I’m having a hard time making a decision and would love to get your take.

A little background:
We relocated to Maine and this house sits amongst a neighborhood of closely situated, newer builds. While I want to add color (and some character eventually), I feel like I need to consider my neighbors homes around me. I want the look to fit Maine and its woods and beaches, but again, I want to consider the surrounding homes.

Most of the homes are light gray and white—yet I don’t want to go that route. I’m leaning more toward gray greens and/or gray blues. Sometimes I feel strongly about going with a darker, richer shade of those colors (my previous house was a contemporary style and stained BM Black Beauty) to possibly give it more of an updated look. Like something as dark as SW Urbane Bronze! Or a deep green or deep blue. Other times I feel strongly that I would like it best painted something lighter and more breezy, like SW Evergreen Fog (same color as the shingles in the dormer) and a warm white for the trim.

A few considerations:
As you can see, our home has a giant forehead of a roof and the shingle color leans more brown than gray or black. The front door has been painted a deep green for now. I’d love to get a wood door at some point. We talked about adding more shingle, maybe to the front porch, but decided against it because of the looming shingle roof. We are afraid it would look too busy.

Any opinions or color suggestions? I want it to have a Maine/cottage feel, but also a more modern, updated feel.

Thanks so much!

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!