SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_474629887

Plants- 8a, very silty/clay soil, shade, W facing DFW

LKB
11 months ago

We added a hot tub and this area has just slowly gone down hill. We were never thrilled with it and we are wanting to take care of it and make it look nice.

Existing:

The plants along the window hold up great to the west facing sun and my dog chewed them to stumps as a puppy and this is 3 years (and no pruning later).

The rubber trip isn't my favorite, but its functioning.

The rose bushes - pretty but I am not a gardener and I don't really care to be working with thorns. I was wanting to get rid of them. They have had little care in 3 years but seem to produce nice flowers and green up despite our lack of care. I'd prefer something else.

Last year, we buried a down spot which was causing a ton of erosion. It goes under the fence and drains. We believe this has stopped the big issues of erosion. The corner is still very saturated.

Desired:

I'm looking for plants that are: low maintenance (something that only needs aesthetic pruning- meaing if I lop something off I'm not gonna kill it, or cutting back to root like elephant ear). But to add some height and color. Also any type of tall plant I can plant close to the side of the house as it just bakes in the summer sun.

If it attracts butterflies / native plants even better.

Is my best bet a local nursery? Is there any guidance on what this should cost? We are in a suburb of Dallas (about 40 minutes out) - I know we need to add compost and topsoil, add sand, but not sure if we till, aerate, and then sod? $250- $500? $1000?

My husband is wanting to put in turf, basically pull out any "life" and move the hot tub to the back corner....and I am really trying to avoid that as I think the cost and labor (DIY) isn't a good return on investment or effort. We have a nice 30x18 covered patio (that I’m cleaning up now that pool season is coming up.

Comments (8)