SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kiosan

Groundcover for full shade, wet, clay

kiosan
15 years ago

Hello folks!

I have this problem at the western side of the house (house faces south). It's full shade, with deciduous and evergreen trees - so minimal light even in winter. It's also fairly wet, as that's where much of our run-off goes. It receives light traffic as it is the only sloping (as opposed to steps) access to the backyard, and it's terrible soil - clay, clay, clay.

Grass will not grow there. We tried it two years running and could not keep it in place (combination environmental conditions and run-off situation).

This is a naturalized, wooded area, not a formal bed and no hardscape to act as a barrier. The ivies seem to love it (poison and English), but I plan to kill those as soon as I can find some sort of replacement. I planted corsican mint and autumn and christmas ferns a month or so ago, but have barely even begun to cover the area. I certainly haven't even touched the ivy covered-bits yet. And with the erosion problem, I can't touch it until I have something that's at least a moderate grower, preferably evergreen.

I've been all over the web looking for ideas, including GNPS, but am concerned that the few groundcovers I find which might suit the light & soil would be almost as invasive as the ivy. Can anyone offer any ideas?

Comments (11)

Sponsored