SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shademaid

Wet clay, full shade, close neighbors

ShadeMaid
10 years ago

My house has a "garden area" (approx 9'x25') that a previous tenant set up on the north side of the house, with my neighbor's house another 25' or so north of that. Our whole lot is very soggy clay (more moss/dandelions than grass in our yard) and the garden spot gets very little light on the outside edge in the summer, and nearly nil in the winter.

After using it for a yard/kitchen waste dump for three years I discovered a few days ago there are tons of worms and a little bit of dark hummus-y matter. I made a rough raised bed by edging the area with the highest concentration of organic matter (about 4'x15') with some wood my boyfriend had around after doing some clearing for our landlord last year. Turned the soil and cleared as many of the rocks as I could, though there are still many ranging from marble sized to double fist sized.

I've been looking for shade tolerant berry bushes or bamboo, something so that we don't have to keep the curtains drawn at all times for privacy. Goumi/autumn olive seemed promising, or Fargesia robusta bamboo, but I'd prefer an edible bush of some sort. I read that Camellia sinensis could take full shade as well, but another source said only partial. Do you guys have any suggestions? For the rest of the area I'm going to lay down some stepping stones and put in a mossy ground cover of some sort to try and keep mud under control. It's been fascinating looking for wet/shade tolerant plants, but my focus on (mostly) edibles has kept the selection rather small, and I'm getting a lot of conflicting information.

FWIW I'm absolutely new to gardening. Tried a container gardening experiment last year that totally flopped, but I've been hitting the local library for about two months and have an idea on basics. Just... no significant experience

Comments (2)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus