SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamimo_gw

full sun, compacted clay -- help!

mamimo
17 years ago

There's a spot in my compacted, heavy clay backyard that is particularly challenging for me. It gets full sun (no shade at all) and poor drainage. Last year, when I dug a 1-foot deep hole to test the drainage, I gave up waiting for it to drain after 2 days and scooped all the water out. Over the last year, I've amended the area and installed a french drain along the length of the area. Recently I did the drainage test again. This time it took not quite 2 days to drain half-way. I've tried growing lilacs there before I knew better and of course they died.

I've searched the archives of this forum and seen several recommendations for plants for swamps. In particular, itea (Henry's garnet), clethra, swamp rose really appeal to me. My question then is, will these plants be able to take this kind of full sun + heavy compacted clay + poor drainage? And if so, where can I get there plants? I've looked at the garden centers/nurseries near my place and haven't had much luck. If there are any other plants that are more easily available that I've overlooked, I'd love to hear about them too. Many thanks!

Comments (11)