SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claudia_vautour

Husband's reaction when my son (his step son) comes home to visit

Sleepless In MA
11 months ago

Brief background info:

Married for 10 years. When I met my husband I was divorced with 2 kids (around 4 and 7 at the time).

After we got married the kids would mostly stay with their dad during the week and with us on weekends. When they were around 14 and 17 their dad took a job overseas and they moved in with us full time. Things were rough in the beginning since their tumultuous relationship with their dad left them with some emotional issues (almost PTSD like symptoms). We worked through it with therapy, a stable home life and a fixed schedule.

Fast forward to know: they are 24 and 27.

My 27 year old daughter lives 4 hours away, is in medical school and comes home 2-3 times a year as her schedule allows. My 24 year old son is in college (3rd year engineering student). College is in the city less than 1 hour away and he lives in a condo close to his college with a couple of room mates. We still live in the same house we bought when the kids were young, in the town where my son graduated from high school. I should also mention that my son had to move back home during COVID since he was in a school dorm at the time and all students had to vacate the dorms and take classes remotely. Once it was safe to do so he moved back out into the condo he is currently in.

Here is the issue: my son likes to come home to visit, maybe once a month. Mostly over the weekend, sometimes a few extra days if his school schedule permits. He really misses our dogs and still likes to hang out with a couple of high school friends who still live in town. I personally enjoy seeing him and spending time with him because it's a nice opportunity to catch up.

My husband does not see it this way AT ALL. Every time he finds out my son might plan on coming home he throws a major tantrum. Here are a couple of his remarks:

"He needs to start leading his own life and not come home so often. When I was his age I only went home once or twice a year".

"You need to cut the apron strings".

"I just know he will keep coming home for the rest of his life. He needs to be independent. Why can't he stay at his own place and do stuff with his friends in the city."

"Tell him to better not bring any laundry".

"Great, here goes our privacy".

"When he graduates he better find a job far away from home, he needs to get out there and explore the world more".

I have so many friends who have kids the same age, but they are not divorced. They are always super excited when their kids come to visit and sad when they go back to college. I feel like I can't be excited when my son comes to visit because my husband has this attitude.

When my son is home my husband is not overtly hostile, but borderline rude. He barely says hi when my son walks in. He barely acknowledges his presence and makes snide remarks. He shows no interest when my son talks about what is going on at school or at the engineering coop he is currently doing. It's like he tries to make him feel uncomfortable and unwelcome, hoping he will pick up on it and not come home anymore. It makes me feel very sad and torn. I really love my son and I am so proud of what he has accomplished so far, after overcoming some challenges (related to issues with his dad and a learning disability). I want him to feel welcome and loved. I want him to know that I enjoy his company.

I feel like coming home to visit a few a days a month is not excessive. My son is a "good" kid, not disrespectful, willing to help, no alcohol, no drugs, in college with excellent job prospects once he graduates. It's not like he moved back in full time or is taking advantage of us. I would not be able to tell my son "please don't come visit anymore".

Yes, when he is home he does eat our food, takes a hot shower, I take him out for lunch. But we are not struggling financially and the cost is minimal.

I also need to mention that when the kids were younger my husband was very supportive, attending school events, helping with moving them into dorms etc.

I just need some input on how to handle this. I am stuck in the middle and don't know how to address the situation.

Comments (11)