SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalbestyears

Check Your Pet's Microchip Registration

Bestyears
last year
last modified: last year

I know we have a lot of animal lovers here and wanted to pass on an experience here in our community that is more common than many people realize. This beautiful dog went missing about a week ago, and the owners were extremely distraught and offered a $1000 reward. Since he is microchipped, they were also confused that he hadn't shown up to have his chip checked anywhere. They posted him on various social media sites, and fortunately also had colored flyers posted everywhere.

In the end, a flyer saved him. Some kind people had found him a week earlier and taken him to their vet, where a chip was found and scanned, but the chip company didn't have any contact information. At this point, many finders would have turned the dog over to animal control. In our community, that could have been any of half a dozen places, including large stressful municipal shelters in Houston. After three days, the dog would have been available for adoption. But thanks to the flyer the finders saw yesterday, the dog and owners were reunited last night. The owners are completely mystified about the missing contact info.

When I became aware of this type of occurrence some months ago, we checked all of our family dogs and my daughter's beloved Boone came up without any info. In her case, the original chip company had been taken over by another. and we imagine that's where the problem occurred. If you know your pet's chip number, go to this link: MicroChip Registry to make sure it shows up, and then check with the company to be sure all contact info is current. If you don't know your pet's chip number, get him/her scanned at your vet and record the information. When a pet goes missing, one of the first calls people should make is to the chip company to report the pet lost.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH