SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suze425

Embrace the red brick ranch or another route?

Susan W
last year

Here’s our 1963 red brick ranch, all ready to start Phase II of renovations.

Phase I was a complete gut to studs inside (to get rid of Chinese Dry Wall), new A/C, and generally make the house livable.

Phase II will include a new roof, new windows, a relatively small addition out a back bedroom to make it larger, including adding a primary ensuite bathroom. We’re building a 2-car detached garage with some living space (think combination man cave/pool house) and putting in a pool. Finally we’ll be replacing the fence, landscaping the entire yard, and figuring out “something” to do to improve the look of the front of the house in general. That last part is where I’m struggling.

We bought this place knowing full well that I’ve never been a fan of a red brick ranch. Especially considering that the house we moved from (right next door) is an adorable beach cottage that I truly loved. But for too many reasons to list, here we are and I have to say, I’m very happy in this house.

My decision for the exterior would be whether to:

1) Embrace the 1963 red brick ranch and run with it

OR

2) White wash or paint the red brick to change the entire look of the place

This is a beach community, but there seem to be an unusual amount of brick ranches, and many people choose to go the second route. Strictly from an aesthetic viewpoint (what is appealing to me) I can see advantages both ways.

For example, my husband wants to keep the entire yard fenced, but the fence in front will depend on the other choices we make. I like a nice black metal fence if we keep the red brick, but a white picket if we white wash or paint the brick.

I'm thinking that landscaping will do wonders for the entire look as well.

What I don’t want to do is spend money on structural changes to the front of the house - like changing the roofline. We’re going to work with what we have.

I’m curious about what others have done or seen done. I appreciate any and all thoughts…

Comments (21)