SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_655806221

Lighting/paint for a large dark living/dining room in an old house?

HU-655806221
last year

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 1907 house and am renovating. The house is square, and at some point there was a 13x13 living room and a 13x13 dining room, but the wall was removed and now I have a 13x27 "great room." There are 4 windows with replacement windows that made them a little smaller, sadly (not in the budget yet to replace the windows). Two face south and 1 each faces east and west. The ceilings are 8 ft. There is currently only 1 light fixture, a chandelier spot over what will be a dining table. My options seems to be (a) recessed lighting throughout the room (and I can keep or not keep a chandelier); (b) recessed lighting in the living room area, keep a chandelier only in the dining room area; or (c) two large chandeliers, no recessed lights. Of course I will add some floor lamps. Since it's an older house, I didn't love the idea of recessed lighthing (not the cans, but the Halo wafer types). But I do want it to feel light and airy to the extent possible, not dark and dingy! This is in New England where winters are long and dark. I am thinking about painting it all white. A lot of the whites seem to veer yellow-ish in a dark room, or gray-ish. The floors are old heart pine, a bit golden/reddish, so I don't want the walls to also have a yellow tone. But the bright whites (such as BM Chantilly Lace) may be too bright? Any advice on lighting and/or paint would be most welcome! The photos are from 10 am on a cloudy day.

Comments (16)