SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
probookie

Gloomy dining room: Go light or go dark?

probookie
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Before we moved into this house a few years ago, we had the battleship gray walls painted in SW Antique White and the walnut-stained floors restored to their natural color. I am timid when choosing paint, but Antique White is a color I can live with until I hit upon something better suited to a room's light and decor. The gloomy dining room, however, has defeated me. It serves mainly as a hallway between the kitchen, living and family rooms. The carport outside the large window and the even gloomier kitchen block most of the natural light. I've read that a rich paint color can be used to good effect in a dark room, but I'm having trouble envisioning it. So if any of you can suggest colors light or dark that might improve this room, please weigh in. We are hoping for a color that will improve its natural gloomy state because we have no reason to turn any lights on except at Thanksgiving, which is the only time we eat in there. Picture the room empty of all movable furniture except the table and chairs (everything else is going to my church's rummage sale in March).

The cabinets over the peninsula will be taken down this winter.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions -- hoping some of them will jolt me out of my rut!

Comments (4)