SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sajid_mehmood13

Steam oven & Speed oven overkill? Is plumbing the CSO worth it?

Sajid Mehmood
last year

Hi all!

We're building our dream kitchen as part of a whole-home remodel, and would like some advice on appliances – particularly ovens. My wife and I both bake & cook regularly – my wife tends to do a lot of day to day cooking, while I do larger projects more occasionally (e.g. beef barbacoa, lamb biryani, 3-layer cakes, complex breads) Both aesthetics and functionality are important to us – we're doing a Shaker style kitchen (similar to deVOL, but our contractor is doing the millwork).

We want a few things in our kitchen:

1. A range. We fell in love with Lacanche ranges, and so decided to get one, which rules out a cooktop. This is the one item we've already ordered.
  2. A steam oven. We've heard great things, and are excited to use it for day to day cooking (steam vegetables, reheat leftovers, etc.), and big projects (baguettes, sous vide)
  3. A microwave. We're South Asian cooking, and nothing is better for reheating curries.
  4. A toaster oven. We use our Breville toaster oven a ton because it preheats quickly. We use it for things like warming up samosas, reheating leftovers, even baking a small batch of cookies.

So, we ended up speccing:

1. Lacanche Chambertin (Classique 3-burner set-up, with 2 induction hobs on the right). We picked this range mostly for the aesthetics – we love the enamel and brass. We've got an oven (small compared to, say, a Wolf range, but still large – 21"w x 12"h x 16"d), and a vertical warming drawer.
  2. 24" Gaggenau 400 series Combi-Steam Oven –we were originally going to go with the Miele, but we're not a fan of the PureLine aesthetics, and that's the only style the plumbed ovens come in. We'd prefer the ArtLine, but (1) it isn't plumbed (2) it doesn't come in 24".
  3. 24" Gaggenau 400 series Speed Oven – we don't need another oven but we need a microwave, and this is the only microwave that matches the Gaggenau steam oven. That said, we're wondering if the speed oven will preheat fast enough so that we don't need to keep the Breville toaster oven in our appliance garage any more?

All that said, this feels like over kill – especially the speed oven, since it's both (a) our 3rd oven (b) a $5600 microwave(!). I don't feel as bad paying for the steam oven, as it's a unique & useful appliance, but with the speed oven, it feels like we're overpaying for a microwave that's ultimately just made by Sharp... unless it can truly replace a toaster oven. Note that we still intend to have a 2-slice toaster for toasting actual bread, since nothing beats a toaster for that.

Given all this, I've a few questions for the group:

1. How much more annoying is the non-plumbed Miele steam oven? I've heard that the Miele makes you fill it up every time you use it, even if there's water left over – is that right? That seems annoying. If we forgo the plumbing, we can go with the Miele designs we like, and save $5000 (since they sell cheaper speed ovens than Gaggenau)
  2. Can a speed oven replace a toaster oven? Does it preheat similarly quickly?
  3. Should we just skip the speed oven, and put a toaster oven + microwave in our appliance garage? It seems like a shame to put our 2 most used appliances in a garage – curious to hear from folks who have an appliance garage, since we've never had one before.

Comments (9)