SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carrieann_wood

HELP WITH KITCHEN LIGHTING

Laney
last year

I'm finally" almost" finished with my kitchen except for the lighting! I was wondering if anyone had a way of showing me or could tell me what size light would look best for over my sink ?
I wanted a pendent light & I don't want it to look too big ? The light up now is 10 inch so would a 13inch light be too big ? Ty !

Comments (57)

• Bonnie B
    last year

Many more LED recessed lights needed to light up that beautiful kitchen!

• Chris H
    last year

@Laney can you tell me about your floors? What type of wood and color stain etc? Love it! (Sorry I have no light advice)

• Related Discussions

Help - Kitchen Lighting for Vaulted Ceiling

Q

Comments (8)
    "Both of those spaces have horrible lighting plans. And kitchen designs. To the point of being an actual hazard to work in them. Lighting is just the tip of the iceberg in the uselessness of a vaulted ceiling in a kitchen. The extra height causes many many issues. All expensive." IF YOU CAN ONLY INPUT NEGATIVE COMMENTS............DONT BOTHER COMMENTING. CONSTRUCTIVE IS ONE THING, HOWEVER, FOR THE MOST PART, IT IS ALWAYS A SLIGHT, NEVER: " YOU KNOW THERE MIGHT BE A BETTER LIGHTING PLAN FOR YOU, TAKE A LOOK AT THIS IDEA........." ALWAYS: " YOU'RE SPACE WAS POORLY PLANNED AND IS NOT GOING TO WORK AND IT LOOKS TERRIBLE" Do you realize how you come across @User, or do you just not care about how you make other people feel? If I was to poll other houzzers on how they feel about the majority of your comments, they would agree. Go claw your way out of the live wires, perhaps you need a little exposure to shock.
    ...See More

Electrician tomorrow YIKES! Need help with kitchen lighting plan.

Q

Comments (10)
    Whoa! White cabs, white counters, and 18 lights - not only can you do surgery there, but the International Space Station will see a glow coming from your house! The first thing I would ask is why the island is so far out and under a beam. Assuming the beam is a "soffit," it will be uncomfortable to sit there. It looks like you can slide it towards the sink and interpolating around 44" between the stove. then sliding to the right to give about 42" between the refrig (I might even slide it further right if that's a door on the back wall). This allows clearing the beam a bit. Consider a 4" or 6" recessed light as "general" lighting, not task. Not only do they light up the counter, but importantly throw onto the floor as well. So you do not need separate lighting for the floor as that is not where you want your focus to be. If you use 6", you get more lumens, but they need spaced farther apart. Here, using 4" gives you spacing of about 30"-36". Spacing hardly ever works out perfect with joists/blocking, plumbing, ducts, whatever is in the ceiling (wafer lights mostly allow placement anywhere though). So you do the best you can placing them at the counter edge. Tall pantries and refrig 12" farther out. Placement in center of sink (here shown on counter edge rather than middle). If you have a cabinet over the hood, centering is not as critical, but if its a stainless hood to ceiling you may want the light centered. You will get a hot spot reflection, but it is necessary to light the adjacent counter and floor as you won't use the hood LEDs for general lighting. With the undercabs consider where you will hide the transformer so the electrician knows where to place his whip. Mini pendants determine if you want a separate ceiling box for each or 1 box for a track, as you have less selection in mini's that mount individually to a box.
    ...See More

Need help with kitchen lighting and details!

Q

Comments (1)
    Sorry the app is not letting me edit the post. Continued below: The backsplash will be matte subway tiles in alabaster. The intent is to give the kitchen an older feel with character because it’s a new build/mass produced kitchen. The trouble I’m having is whether pan rails will be too busy looking and I’m going back and forth between sconces on the back wall or hanging pendants over the island. Will the back wall be too bare if there are no sconces or shelves? Will the kitchen look to busy with overhead pendants over the square island? Any design suggestions for these finishing details would be so appreciated.
    ...See More

Help with kitchen light over Island

Q

Comments (4)
    this is a pretty traditional looking fixture suitable for Island and/or dining table it is from Wayfair.com Makson pendant ... just an observation. Center your area rug on the window and (fill that space with the rug) put the chaise/sectional at the edge of the rug.
    ...See More
  • 3onthetree
    last year

You have previously asked for advice on the sink pendant and received some.

Hopefully enough comments will make you realize how severely underlit your Kitchen is. Your kitchen is like serving a delectable dinner - going to the fresh market to pick each ingredient, laboring fastidiously over the prep and presentation, then forgeting utensils to eat it (though you couldn't cook this analogy in your kitchen because you wouldn't see what you were doing).

Please don't rely on only an electrician to place new lighting, so with a little more knowledge, you can not only help determine functional lighting, but weed out some commenters' misguided suggestions.

OP and commenters please take the time to read a bunch of articles on this website to learn a little bit about lighting - it's tiring to repeat the same things over and over on these threads - so I'm resorting to linking a very good website that's not mine, who presents general info very well David Warfel - Language of Light

• Linda
    last year

We have a similar kitchen layout and recently replaced a surface mount light over the sink with a pendant. I think something in the 8" size might work but you can create a mock-up with some paper/cardboard and string to get a better sense of proportion. Be sure whatever you select can be adjusted in height.

I agree with others that you need more lighting overall. We replaced a center-mount fluorescent fixture with 6 LED recessed lights. It was a little tricky to install without tearing up the ceiling but we were lucky with the direction of the ceiling rafters. Be sure to put the LEDs on a dimmer because they may seem too bright at night. I also recommend getting LEDs that have an adjustable temperature as you may find something like 3000-3500 is more soothing than 4000K+.

• Chris H
    last year

@3onthetree I actually emailed David Warfel on a whim for some questions I still had on UCL (everything is separate when you don’t go to a big box store and overwhelming) and he actually replied! So thankful for that resource :)

• 3onthetree
    last year

Great that he helped. Hope he doesn't mind me linking his website. He's put in some time in creating those visual sketches, and they're easily understandable. Much easier pointing people to those than typing wordy replies to all these same threads about Kitchen lighting.

• blueskysunnyday
    last year

In my old kitchen, some of the LED pot lights were behind the counter line and some were over the counter. If the light is behind you when you work at the counter, it creates a shadow right where you are working. It is not as much of a problem in the areas where you have under-counter lighting, but it is something to think about over the peninsula, especially. In our new kitchen, we are lining the recessed lighting up with the edge of the counter, as suggested by our lighting designer. Based on my past experience, this will work well.

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    last year
    last modified: last year

While of course adding potlights distributed all over is best and you should look into it, you do need to address the lighting asap with the existing electrical. I recommend an immediat solution using a short chandelier with 10-12 bulbs for the center of the ceiling and a matching flushmount for above the sink. Here are some ideas:

For above sink

And

For center of ceiling

• Chris H
    last year

@3onthetree I’d assume he’s fine with it? He was so helpful and even gave me specific recommendations with links (both what he would use and a much less expensive option). My head was spinning a bit but I feel much better now that we have the UCL and general lighting pinned down. OP def check out the blogs. And I’m interested in the floor details, too!

• Kendrah
    last year

Who designed your undercabinet lights and electric outlets and forgot to address general room lighting? This is crazy. While your house seems a bit like a new build, the design on your ceiling is one I have only seen on plaster. If you do have a plaster ceiling, adding lights is going to be an expensive ordeal. Let us know what your ceilings are made of, what your lighting correction budget is, and what your capacity is for getting contractors back in to open up your ceiling for this electric work.

If you still need to go with a surface mounted light above the sink instead of recessed, I would get a semi flush globe that is all glass. The black dome on the top of the one you like is going to block light from casting upward and bouncing off the ceiling. You need all the light you can get so eek some off the ceiling in in this area.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last year

I highly recommend that you add the LED ceiling lights.

My lighting designer also recommended that the LED lights be centered over the edges of the counters. I had to use wafer style that connected to boxes, not cans, because of ductwork in the ceiling: 6 inch, 850 lumen, 3000K lights (brand was Sylvania, I think, but there are several good options in low profile LED lights), spaced about 48" apart center to center (so that the cones of light at counter level just overlap), distance apart adjusted an inch more or less to avoid casting a shadow from an open cabinet door into the cabinet interior.

The ceiling did NOT have to be torn out - the crew marked the locations, used a hole saw to make the openings, fished wire through, installed boxes, then plugged the lights into the boxes. The existing switch location from my old fixture was used, although I needed to get a new LED-compatible switch (not expensive!) They patched the location of the old lights. It was less than a full day to do it all in my kitchen.

I love these lights! So much better than the 2 fixtures that I had (one was a pull-chain!).

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

I agree that downlights are needed but you can supplement them with and LED fixture that stays close to the ceiling.

• Paul F.
    last year

Now I remember you and your kitchen cabinet handle placement post a few weeks ago. Now, we have another reason you should have posted pictures of the whole kitchen! It all looks great, I wouldn't get too upset. Listen to raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio's solution with the wafer LED's. Its quick and easy and won't be crazy expensive. Here's a video of how the wafer lights are installed without tearing your ceiling apart. Just don't use 4000k!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkIp3mKqn4Y

• Laney
    Original Author
    last year

Ok so first its my fault about getting the lighting afterwards 🙃 This was a rebuild after a house fire and I've had so much going on that I just couldn't figure out a whole house lighting plan?  I had to pick out too much I didn't know where to start or what to do ? So much going in to a whole house rebuild?  There were some things I would of liked to have replaced and gotten more done if I could  of those " ugly swirl " Ceilings is one & I'd like to get lights for over the Island , I need a new fireplace but They were here to repair our home that's all. I'll show a pic of how I do actually get some good lighting from under the cabinets. Also you can't tell in this picture but if you stand back more there's a living room with a big patio door that gives off tons of natural lights its all open?

• Laney
    Original Author
    last year

SORRY ( Not from this picture is where the living room is back more  ) That's the first one I posted.

• Laney
    Original Author
    last year

@Beverley FLADeziner ooh I actually like that ? I would of never of thought so if I didn't see? I was thinking black ? It's in the appliances & didn't want all gold but thats pretty!

• cheri127
    last year

Wow! I can imagine how the lighting fell through the cracks after such a stressful event and rebuild.

This article has a couple of good examples for light fixtures over the kitchen sink.

https://steellightingco.com/blog/choosing-the-best-light-over-your-kitchen-sink/

• Paul F.
    last year

As soon as you start using your new kitchen you'll see how dark it is. When you do... investigate the wafer LED's. Its a quick fix.

• Linda
    last year

You've done a GREAT job with rebuilding! I can't even imagine the difficulty after a house fire and your kitchen is beautiful. As Paul said, look into the wafer LEDs. That's what we retrofitted our kitchen with and we didn't make any unnecessary holes in the ceiling. Good luck and take good care of yourseelf.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

Uggh, sorry no one really talked to you about the lighting. You will need much more than what you have. notice how dark the edge of the peninsula is? at this point you have two options, get wafer led installed as you would recessed, or use a track or rail light in the center. I would not do a clear glass pendant, frost or hard shade so you can get some working light out of the bulb. and its not your fault, someone could have mentioned it to you. Lighting always seems to take a back seat. and tho fixtures should be picked close to the end, there should have been a plan. I would not do any pendants here, you need to think task first. Start by converting the light over the sink to a wafer light, if you cannot put money into pot lights, then you really do need a directional light in the center.

• Katherine Canon
    last year

I suggest adding tracking lighting they do make pretty ones and wire into the old ceiling light.

I found one pic close to your light you liked.

Here another one.

Are you putting curtains or blinds up?

• Laney
    Original Author
    last year

@Kathrine Canon Wow That's the style ball was one of my first choices & i still never bought the other one bc I just love the " black white and gold globe) ! Has the colors I was looking for !idk if it would fot I'd have to check! Thanks so much I really appreciate it !?

• Katherine Canon
    last year

I was trying to find you something similar to your pendant wasn't easy this was closest tracking light to the style you liked. I have learned the closer to the ceiling for the light the more light it will give the space. Penant light will highlight only under one area eg. Kitchen sink area only unless you get a recess or a flush mount light fixture. Just wanted let you know this.

• Laney
    Original Author
    last year

@Miron Demid LLC HI I'll check it out Thank you !

• Laney
    Original Author
    last year

@Katherine Canon Hi  Oh ok i see ! I was checking it out again & actually it really gets bright in the kitchen w just the lights up now & w the ones under the cabinets plus it's all open space with alot of natural light coming in but I also have a different type of light up now from a " pendant light ) so i wouldn't know unless i tried ? 

Also I need a light  for in the center of my kitchen to match the one Over my sink?  I wanted black & gold w white" preferably " n love globes ( as you shown)  Not sure about my pendant idea anymore though?  I'm wondering if it would look out of place if I did say a" white & gold"  flush mount w a  jus a plain black light for center?  I think i need a new thread for" just " lightng throughout house ! Also THANK YOU so very much for taking the time to look for me I really appreciate that ! I'm in such a bind here still trying to figure out my bathroom accessories

• Laney
    Original Author
    last year

I was trying to get in " black w gold " somewhere? I was first thinking the " black and white gold globe " w plain black for center ? But not sure bc its a pendant ? This is sorta what I meant by mixing the lights ? I need 14 lights total. One is a foyer light ( which so mad I didn't get at the time !) Just way to much w my husband severely burned from the fire to think plus I have a spinal cord injury so it's tough to do this alone so thank you again !!!!

• Laney
    Original Author
    last year

@cupofkindnessgw Not sure what he used for the under cabinet lighting?  Thank you very much ! I did my best w everything. I just like to get lighting figured out then I'll need to start w furniture! oh boy LOL It's so ridiculous to be so stressed but it's my home n I need to get this done?  Ty again! I appreciate it!

• Laney
    Original Author
    last year

Paul F lol sorry I know I'm all over the place here ! Very overwhelmed doing this alone now.  I don't know how to ask the question but if I hang a say gold and white light above my sink   Now can the light in the center Be just black w or without gold? or does it have to match the white & gold? I want to do black w or without gold n or white w gold throughout my house so would that be ok ? Or look out of place ? i need help w all this lighting need a new thread for jus that i think? I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say ugh I'm better in person not texting lol

• Paul F.
    last year

It's terrible when a thread goes cold when you really need help, isn't it? Let's try to revive this one. I would unify the lights in the room, make them match one way or the other White and gold for one and one all gold, I think is fine. I see a gold faucet and not sure if the handles are gold too? Black and gold is a stretch because not much in the room is black unless you plan on some black accessories. I'd be interested in what others have to say.

• cheri127
    last year

I wouldn't do a black light in the center with white and gold over the sink. I think black, white and gold would work with the white and gold though. I like all of the lights you have pictured above. If you have a good lighting store in your area, it's worth the trip to go there and have them help you pick out all of your lights. Many of them have prices as good as online. I bought all of the lighting for my beach house in one go from Billows. It was so much better than never ending looking online.

• PRO
  • Paul F.
    last year

Laney, I'm trying to get this straight. You're trying to match the entire house with the same basic shape and color fixtures? Bathrooms and everything? I'd find that very difficult to buy everything to match all at once.

• cheri127
    last year

@Paul F. It's not as hard as it sounds. Everyone who builds (or in Laney's case, rebuilds) has to do it. But a knowledgeable salesperson at a good lighting store does make it easier.

• Paul F.
    last year

@cheri127 I'm rebuilding after a fire too. I had no idea how horrific Laney's fire was and that her husband was so injured. It's terrible. I'm still waiting for my tiled master bath to be grouted to decide what kind of light fixtures would look best. I couldn't possible try to match it to my dining room... if finishes matched it would by by accident. I want it to 'vibe' with my fixtures downstairs but to decide all need to be black or gold in advance, I could not do or 'would not' want to do.

• cheri127
    last year

I hear you, Paul. I'm sorry you had to go through this. Laney too. I hope you can put it all behind you real soon!

• Laney
    Original Author
    last year

@Paul F Hey Thanks Paul ! I appreciate you trying to help me out w my house & lighting & when ur trying to do the same for urself! Also im really sorry to hear that you too had a home fire ! The aftermath of it all is crazy to deal with so much goes into rebuilding!? I can say you definitely don't " have " to match ur bathroom lighting to " ur dining room  & urs is upstairs but I too&still want my house to "vibe"  though just like you & since my " powderoom " is right in middle of my downstairs ( another reason why I think better pictures would help !! ) made it much harder then it needed to be ! 

Well to try& get it " straight "... No I'm not trying to match the " shape " of the light( I think that would be " too" much !) I would however like them to be cohesive I like the finshes i mentioned  earlier ? This one in the kitchen I need the light in the middle  to go with  the one above my sink? I did the faucet in " champagne bronze " & the hardware ( oh that was fun !! No!!!) I had to go try & match it jus right It dont like that yellow gold ?? ! I also have the " brushed gold / champagne bronze" looking Cafe appliances? So I really pinned myself lol! bc ithink although like @RL Relocation LLC had shown was exactly what I had in mind when doing this in those colors ( first pic) shown? Thank you so much ! Great job ! I like that alot. I think white & gold looks pretty too which is why im stuck too? I thought the " black " in the light would kinda break up tbe kitchen a little ( black c0oming from the stove & microwave)? & kitchen blender ect maybe & living room too bc its right in front?  It's ALL open downstairs def needs to be cohesive like i said! I needed 14 right now  im down to 13 lol 

I Really really messed up by not doing this ALL first but I had wayyy to much on my plate n then ( sorry off topic my best friend of 42 years died suddenly!! on me ! Its been a mess trying to finshthis project!I So frustrating?!! Ty again for of ur  all  help.! I really appreciate it !!n for ur time & " patience " lol !!! I will have to post pics of how whole house lighting needs to be done ?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

I think it would be better to focus room by room as to not overwhelm the situation, you already have enough going on. Also by getting a room done you have something to build on. Also something to feel accomplished. Now if there is a breakfast or dining area behind the kitchen we might want to include that here too.

I think the white and gold fixtures look nice and clean. I think the black fixture here makes u look up at the ceiling.

• Laney
    Original Author
    last year

@RL Relocation LLC    Yes i agree & love to take it room by room but as you mentioned about having a " breakfast nook " ...yes i do ! My house downstairs is "All "  open ( except for a powderoom right there in the middle!) I do like white & gold too ? I really took a leap out of my comfort zone going w all gold kitchen & appliances & hardware in my kitchen...but  thought lifes to short to keep playing it safe ?

I think I need to show better pictures to make it easier? I do have more alot on my plate & this has been " extremely " overwhelming for me to do on my own so... Thank you & to everyone else who's been trying to get me through this ! Sincerely!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

lets get the kitchen and nook done. hone in on your favorites and take the plunge, down stairs you can do something different as the spaces are never seen together.

• Laney
    Original Author
    last year

@Chris H  Hi , Yes of course! They are " redoak hardwood's " & the color is " Jacobean " ( I went w that bc i read it knocks any of the reddish tint out ! ) You could add a little ebony too in the stain to go bit darker too ? I was going to go w white oak to have a lighter floors but im so glad now that I went darker ! I already had the white oak before to n wanted a change anyway! I tried almost every stain color out there so any questions If I can help I will ! I know how tough it can be !?

• Laney
    Original Author
    last year

@RL Relocation LLC HI, Ok so u saw the front of kitchen. Now to the left of my kitchen when looking forward is the living room & turning around in my kitchen to the right theres the "breakfast nook. " The breakfast nook wraps around back into the dining room ! Then  to the left of dining room is a sitting room. Look up theres q foyer light. I'll have to start new thread I  can't upload all pics I need to show all my lighting but here's a start ? Now can I have" say " a " white n gold kitchen " but maybe a blk light in living room ? Well Ty

• Laney
    Original Author
    last year

@RL Relocation LLC Not included in these pictures but from the living you can see the light in dining room too ? I'll have to show you a picture so you can get a better understanding! Again I should of included all these from the start 🙄

• Laney
    Original Author
    last year

@Linda  Awe Thank you  Linda  that's so nice of you ! No more drilling...for now lol ! it's been quite the journey to say the least but I'm learning alot thanks again! Hope all is well

• Paul F.
    last year

Good idea to post pics from different angles.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

For the dining and nook and living room really you need to get the furniture in, that is going to help dictate the size and shape of this lighting. I get it now, it needs to flow. I the living room at flush and semi flush, lamps will be your friend in there.

Once we have something to build off this will become easier.

• Laney
    Original Author
    last year

@RL Relocation Hi ,  i was thinking that at first to  myself " how do I know what light  to get if I don't know what furniture I'll have?" but was told I should do lighting first?  If it wasn't all open it be alot easier...well least a little lol ! They had knocked down a wall that used to separate kitchen from living room after the fire. So now  it's all open as you can see. it does help bring in more light ? 

idk im not looking forward to doing all the furniture!  That's going to be fun ! It should i want it to be ? Just more research and overthinking everything!?  Going to be a bit of a challenge   redecorating an entire home especially when my style has changed  !  I also had another question about the kitchen lighting. I'll have to show pics to explain it better. Ty for ur time !

• Laney
    Original Author
    last year

@Paul F  Ty ! Paul ! I still have a few more lol ! I Guess it would of been easier to do that from the start ! I was just thinking that I would take it room by room so i could  take my time but as you see as far as "lighting " goes that going to bit of a challenge! I hope ur doing good on ur rebuild?

• Paul F.
    last year

So, have you made any decisions yet?

• PRO
    MIRODEMI
    last year

Hello! I invite you to visit us to find the best suitable lighting fixture. We also provide free customization.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

The size of the light over the kitchen table for example should be dictated by the size of the table. sure you can do it first I guess.. but im not sure ive ever thought about buying furniture to go with lighting... should be the other way around. Thats why builders put in cheap lights because most people will replace them.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville