SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Placement for a whole house water filter

I bought my house about 20 years ago, and the previous owners had installed a whole house water filter. It looks like this, but without the digital timer:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/A-O-Smith-AO-WH-PREL-Single-Stage-4-GPM-Mechanical-Filtration-Whole-House-Water-Filtration-System/1000576415

All of the house's plumbing connections were with copper connectors and crimps, though, and over the years they've ALL failed. Sometimes repeatedly :-/

The connection at the water filter was the worst. There were 3 elbows and the 2 connectors into the filter, and every time I would go to unscrew the housing one of them would break! They were too stiff, I guess, so a little bit of torque would break them.

I ended up replacing all of the failed connectors, along with the elbows at the water filter, with Sharkbites because they would turn and not break. But those ended up being TOO loose, so the water filter would sort of flop around instead of staying place.

Yesterday, one of the crimped copper connectors into the housing broke off. So I took out the entire water filter, replacing it with a temporary CPVC while waiting on Sharkbite connectors to be delivered.

Here's what I'm dealing with:

You can see the black line in the bottom left, that's from the well pump. Then there's the pressure switch, then a short CPVC to an elbow, a ball valve, another elbow, the new CPVC where the water filter usually is, a longer vertical CPVC to another elbow, the T connector to my fridge, another CPVC to an elbow, another CPVC, and then the connections to other areas start.

The elbow before the ball valve was put in to give height for the water filter, which would usually hang down into the red pan (there to catch any leakage when I change the filter).

To reinstall the water filter, my options are:

1. Install it in the original location, and just deal with it flopping around

2. Install it in the original location and redneck-engineer something to keep it steady

3. Move the T connector to the fridge closer to the other elbow to the farther left, then install the water filter close to where that T connector currently is. I wouldn't be able to easily access the top of the housing at this location, but I don't know that it really matters

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments (8)