SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bunnyemerald

Dyson hairdryer owners - do you think it's worth the $$$

Bunny
last year

There's a thread similar to this from 2018, but maybe there are updates and/or new purchases.

I've been eyeing the Dyson hairdryer, but can't quite push the Buy button yet. I've started drying my hair a new way, no brush, just dryer and free hand, and I like how it's been working. My stylist uses one, and plenty of good hair YouTubes do as well (I suspect most get them comped or a very good deal).

I think the price is nuts. But those of you who have one, what do you think? If you like it, why is it better? Do you think it's worth the money or not really?

Comments (44)

• Allison0704
    last year

My stylist, and all the others in the salon, purchased Dyson hairdryers. She loves it so much she bought a second one to use at home. I thought it was a bit too heavy for me, more than my Moroccan Oil Infrared dryer, which dries faster than my last.

Bunny thanked Allison0704
  • lkloes
    last year

I love mine! It took some getting used to and it is heavy. Definitely watch some YouTube videos to figure out which heat/blow settings work best for your hair texture. I have medium length fine hair and with just the Dyson dryer, a few attachments (one to dry and the other to style) and a round brush I can style my hair and it holds volume and wave for 2 days!

Bunny thanked lkloes
  • Related Discussions

Need Dyson vac owners input

Q

Comments (12)
    I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to you all.....thank you Bruce, for the Target-Kohl's link. And thank you ALL for telling me about your experiences with your various Dysons. :0) I purchased the small 11.65 lb. yellow DC24 All Floors Dyson Ball tonight....the last one in the store. I am looking forward to putting it together tomorrow and getting familiar with it. I was considering the larger DC25 Purple one, but picked it up and thought that it was too big/heavy for what I wanted. Dragging a heavy canister vacuum behind me all over the house is one reason I have always detested vacuuming! I still have my heavy old Windtunnel that I can use to periodically clean under the bed with. The rest of the furniture we have is relatively easy enough to move in order to clean behind with the Dyson. I registered it online in about 5 mins. Maybe my daughter will vacuum her room a little bit more often now. :0) Phyl
    ...See More

How do you determine if an older home is worth it?

Q

Comments (14)
    Marys1000 -- I think that house is lovely. I have lived in a Pennsylvania 1870s tenant/farmhouse for eleven years and know firsthand about the unattractive, economical changes owners make to a home. I have spent a lot of time removing or fixing these things. It has been well worth it, but I know this will never be the house that architectural historians gush over. Granted, the house you are looking at has been enlarged or "remuddled", but I don't think that would limit your ability to make the place homey, cozy, and wonderful. If you are looking for a high-style architectural piece to restore to perfection, then move along. But if you want a genuine, rural home, then I think it fits the bill, especially with all its quirkiness. One caveat, I know nothing about pricing and whether this is high or low for your area. Nor do I know how common this type of home/size property is. There are high styles of architecture available sometimes on the outskirts of towns, but more often I think properties with accompanying pieces of farmland will have this typical, plain type of farmhouse. It's quite beautiful in its own right, I think. The property is absolutely amazing. Good luck! Tina
    ...See More

Fellow Dyson Animal Owners..I have a question..

Q

Comments (17)
    took some pics of the dyson last night. here's the little push down i still can't figure it out. i think it's just suppose to pop off but it's really hard. this is the piece that flew off the other day and i had to reattach it. this is on the other side of the canister. when i hit the mall this weekend i'll have to stop at sears or something and ask them. still don't know if the inlaws have the receipt. ahh that will be bad. i know there's a five year warranty but it would just be easier to replace it if there's a problem.
    ...See More

So, what do you think? Should I go for it?

Q

Comments (21)
    Thanks Riverspots for your suggestion- I have actually seen one repro. of his work (at Ikea they have one which obviously is not the same but by him and the same idea =- women sitting at a bar socializing- but it is this painting- the whole theme of it- that I think is so great! I have researched this up the ying yang (trying to contact a gallery in Israel where the artist currently resides), but to be honest- I can't even come close to paying the prices for the original pieces. This one is (and i say this loosely) only $999.00 Still more than I would ever have spent on art in the past, but reasonable for something of this size and perfection.. I am not so concerned about the colors being off a little- My whole house is .full of earth-tones so I feel like no matter how off they are it will blend. I do appreciate your input though!! If i had a little spare change I might consider buying an original.. maybe someday!!! :)
    ...See More
  • 3katz4me
    last year

I don’t have one and NWIH would I pay that much for a hairdryer. I thought $85 for the W8less recommended here was a lot. I do really like it though as does DH. We now have one at each house.

Bunny thanked 3katz4me
  • bpath
    last year

My stylist loves hers, mainly because it is configured such that she doesn’t have to hold her arm as far out from her body when doing her clients’ hair.

Bunny thanked bpath
  • gigitn
    last year
    last modified: last year

I Love mine. My stylist starting using one about a year ago, and although I adored the way it made my hair look, I just couldn't get past the price. I finally broke down a few months ago and told my DH that's what I wanted for Christmas. It dries so fast and makes my hair look great. Heartily recommend.

Bunny thanked gigitn
  • Ally De
    last year

This board is responsible for me spending way more money than I otherwise would. 😄

I am in the market for a new hair dryer and never even looked twice at the Dyson due to cost. But my hair in its natural state looks like I am applying for membership in the Bog Witch Club...so now I am intrigued. Sigh. Would be much easier/cheaper to shave all of my hair off. Maybe I will start a public campaign for bald is beautiful ( especially if your alternative is to look like Hagrid!).

Bunny thanked Ally De
  • Ida Claire
    last year

Can anyone explain why it's so much better than, say, a Conair? Don't they both just move air? Not trying to be snarky, but am genuinely curious. I too have wondered if they're worth the price, or if it's mainly hype.

Bunny thanked Ida Claire
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all for your comments. I'm on the fence. I should ask my stylist at my next appointment.

I've had a Rusk W8less for several years. I love its lightness, less noisiness, and heat/velocity combinations. I'd never look elsewhere if its concentrator clicked into place. There's no groove so you just shove it on. It usually flies off once per session, when I stoop, pick it up, shove it back on. A real design fail. I tried a Babyliss in the sub-$100 range and returned it. Heat was all wrong.

I have a new Conair in a drawer somewhere for backup or guest use. It's big and loud but it does move hot air around. Any port in a storm.

I'm not opposed to a splurge if it's demonstrably worth it.

I actually got a tax return this year--shocker!--so am feeling slightly flush.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    last year

I thought influencers like the Shark with it's lower price point equally as well?

Bunny thanked RNmomof2 zone 5
  • deegw
    last year

That sounds like a good splurge! My daughter has the T3 that Costco sells which I think is similar to the Dyson. When I used it I liked it but I didn't think it was 5X better than the cheapo Conair mini that I currently use. Also, it was heavy

I suppose you could buy it somewhere that has a generous return policy and then return it if you don't think it's worth the money.

Bunny thanked deegw
  • 3katz4me
    last year

It appears to be much less expensive if purchased direct from Dyson rather than Amazon. It also has a 30 day money back guarantee - no additional charge for shipping either way. I watched the video to try to understand why it would be worth $423. I guess if I wasn't satisfied with my hair and thought it could solve my problem I'd consider trying it. Fortunately that's not the case. I've learned to live with the concentrator falling off the W8less - I jam it on tight and it only falls off once in a while. It is a bad design - something Dyson would never have. I noticed those attachments are magnetic.

Bunny thanked 3katz4me
  • Funkyart
    last year

My issue with the conair and similar is that they seem to get hotter and hotter with age which is super damaging to my hair ... though you could replace a conair every three months for a year and still not spend as much as you'd spend on a dyson.

I considered one but the dealbreaker for me was the weight -- I really should look at the Rusk that's been suggested here multiple times. I do need something as mine is hitting the "too hot" stage. Of course, my very fine hair dries in 3 min.

I have more seriously considered the Dyson Air Wrap .. but haven't made the leap.

Bunny thanked Funkyart
  • Ally De
    last year

Ooof, thanks for mentioning the weight. If it's noticeably heavier than most others that will be a deal-breaker for me too. My hair is so thick it takes forever to dry, and I have 2 bum shoulders.

This is what I currently use:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BaBylissPRO-Nano-Titanium-Lightweight-Ionic-Hair-Dryers-Blue/466574076

It does produce less frizz than other hair dryers do for me.

I'm on my 3rd one. They work fine for me for years, but then as Funky noted they eventually start running hot. The Babyliss needs to have the filter cleaned religiously or it will absolutely run too hot. I had the handle of one get so instantly hot as I was using it, that it burned the on/off button in the on position - I had to quick unplug it from the wall when I realized what was happening. Keep in mind it takes me 10-15 minutes of continuous use to dry my thick/heavy/long bog witch hair.

Bunny thanked Ally De
  • Tina Marie
    last year

Interesting! Is this hair dryer mainly to control frizz? I have medium to short thick wavy hair which I do not try to straighten. I let my hair dry about 90% on it's own and only use a hair dryer to "fluff" it and pull out the crown and bangs. Without looking I'm not even sure what brand my dryer is LOL!!

Bunny thanked Tina Marie
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    last year

I read both in promo and comments that the Dyson dries faster. Science is not my strong suit, but isn't drying a combination of heat + air velocity? What else could make hair dry faster?

My hair is short, with some length on top. It's medium thickness and texture. Overall it's straight but I have some bends and waves which unfortunately aren't uniformly distributed. I like them though.

I let my hair air-dry for an hour by which time it's about 2/3 dry. I don't use any heat protectant because I don't use max heat and keep everything moving. With short hair it's not getting old and fragile. But even though short, drying my hair involves an hour-plus. Faster wouldn't be bad.

The Dyson looks lightweight, I guess because of the hole in the middle. If I buy one from Amazon, Ulta, or Dyson, I can always return it without cause.

• pricklypearcactus
    last year

I use a CHI Rocket hair dryer, but also have a Conair travel hair dryer. My CHI dries my hair significantly faster and much smoother. Apparently I'm supposed to clean a filter on the back (oops) which is probably why I've burned out a few of them every few years with daily use. I just bought a new one for $108. The site says its ceramic heating element produces moist heat and dries hair faster. It's also supposed to produce iconic positive energy and low EMF. I will say it seems to do a better job of drying my hair faster, smoother, and at what feels like a slightly cooler temp. Like several others, I let my hair air dry a bit (maybe 2/3 of the way) and then take the hair dryer to it. I don't have a Dyson to compare, but my point is that I do think hair dryers with better technology produce better results and work more quickly.

Bunny thanked pricklypearcactus
  • gigitn
    last year

I don't find the Dyson to be too heavy at all, and it cut my drying time down from 20 minutes to 10-12 minutes. Zero frizz. I have thick curly hair and I use a big round brush to dry it into a straight bob. Everything about it is just quality. Love, love, love it!

Bunny thanked gigitn
  • User
    last year

I think what's different about more expensive hair tools is that they are designed to control heat very evenly (hair dryers and hot tools alike). cheap models can develop extremely uneven "hot spots" that damage hair. I learned this lesson with a cheapo off-brand flat iron years ago.

according to the reviews, I think the second way it's different is that it blows the air faster than some other models. the less amount of time you spend drying your hair, the less damage you're going to get.

I would trust what wirecutter has to say. Dyson was not their top pick, although they did like it. https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/the-best-hair-dryer/

Bunny thanked User
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    last year

Seattle, thanks for the Wirecutter link. So, I have their top pick (Rusk W8less) and budget pick (Conair Infinity Pro).

I just got out my kitchen scale and weighed my dryers, not including cord and plug:

Rusk = 14.5 ounces

Conair = 20.5 ounces

According to their site, the Dyson weighs 28.8 ounces (double the Rusk)

According to Amazon, the CHI Rocket weighs a whopping 35.5 ounces

My Conair feels significantly heavier than my Rusk when holding it, but the Conair is a big old thing and not as ergnomically considerate as the Rusk.

I think what might be appealing about the Dyson is its realtively short barrel, necessitating less wagging around.

I need to see if Ulta has a floor model available to plug in.

• texanjana
    last year

Absolutely. One of the best purchases I have ever made. My hair is cut short in a pixie, but it’s super thick and coarse. It takes forever to dry without my Dyson. I just wish it was lighter so I could travel with it more than I do.

Bunny thanked texanjana
  • Ally De
    last year

Bunny, thank you for the weight comparisons. It turns out my Babyliss is just a smidge heavier than a Dyson would be....

Hmmm.

If you decide to get it, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Bunny thanked Ally De
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    last year

Ally De, that's for sure. :)

Intelligent heat

Apparently the Dyson's motor is in the handle which lowers the center of gravity and may make it seem not as heavy. My Conair is heavy in the business end, where the air comes out, and with its greater length it must put more of a strain on my hand and wrist.

• Ida Claire
    last year

I've had my run-of-the-mill hairdryer (I think it is a Conair) for several years and keep thinking it will croak at any time, but it keeps on keepin' on. As short and easy-care as my hair is (takes 2 minutes to dry/style), I realize I'm probably not likely to ever spend much money on a dryer, but it's something that has interested me and I appreciate learning more here.

Bunny thanked Ida Claire
  • jsk
    last year

I love my Dyson hair dryer. Now, I too would never have purchased it for myself because it's a stupid amount of money for a hair dryer. DH surprised me with it a few years ago as a Chanukah gift. Had I known how good it was, I would have bought it for myself long before.

I do not find it heavy at all. The cord is extremely heavy, so picking up the whole thing to pack when going on vacation is when I notice it's weight. But when using it to dry my hair, it's not at all heavy. It's been a couple years since I used anything else, but I think it probably feels lighter to use than my last one.

It dries my hair much faster than anything I used before and to me that's the best part.

I also bought this fly away attachment not too long ago. It does work. Unfortunately, the effect doesn't last very long, but I still like it.

https://www.sephora.com/product/dyson-dyson-supersonic-trade-flyaway-attachment-P479106?country_switch=us&lang=en&skuId=2552206&om_mmc=ppc-GG_18529129158_145040101111_pla-1963373331101_2552206_626692864002_9004011_c&gclid=CjwKCAjwoIqhBhAGEiwArXT7K0xVQ4KL85sERXxaAwXBalfT0hVXo5cesAP7yHzfPm2bBM4YJM8WwxoCG6kQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Bunny thanked jsk
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    last year

jsk, the flyaway attachment now comes bundled with the dryer.

• Allison0704
    last year

FYI my stylist offered to purchased one for me using her discount. I have Dyson cordless stick vacs, so I already get offers for Friends and Famiy discounts a few times a year. I believe it is 20%, same as her discount. ETA: Might have been 10%.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    last year

Allison, that's a very nice discount.

• Allison0704
    last year

It might have been 10%, was coming back to edit.

• Allison0704
    last year

Just came back to say some of you are a bunch of enablers.... but you already know that! I decided to purchase a Dyson hair dryer, knowing I could return if I did not like. It dries my hair in half the time, and that was on medium heat. It is no heavier than my previous dryer. I am certain I thought it was heavier because of the power pack on the cord, which sits on the counter when I dry at home, but was not at the hair salon. While I can speak highly of the dryer, I can't say anything good about the free paddle brush, so I"ll keep using one from Moroccan Oil. BTW, I used the fly away attachment this morning, and it works. I was shocked.

*edited to correct errors. I might need a bigger font and/or reading glasses. :-/

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

I have fine, straight hair. I never start drying it until it is almost dry. And I never had the coordination to hold a brush in one hand and a dryer in the other. That's why I use a hot air brush. Does Dyson make a hot air brush?

NM jsut saw this https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/dyson-airwrap-vs-revlon-one-step/

off to watch!

ETA - that was really helpful to see it in use and I do trust wirecutter. I don't curl my hair so dont think id want the smaller (and slower) wand and the attachments. I like what I have.

Bunny thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    last year

Alison, such a great review! I'm so happy you like it.

I was *this* close to ordering one (tax returns, baby!) but I ordered some new window seat cushions and took a step back. That's not to say the Dyson is off the table.

Even though my hair is short, it takes a while to dry. I always need an hour of air-dry and then 5+ minutes with a blow dry. I have to add that time to my get-ready routine whenever I wash my hair. Cutting down the air-dry hour would be nice.

• Allison0704
    last year

Mtn, my hair is fairly thick and has natural waves. I can only wait so long before to start drying my hair. I like to smooth it out, but last week I let it dry completely by itself. DH said it looked great, but I did not think so. He is too kind. LOL

• Ally De
    last year

Thanks for the update and endorsement folks. It's back on my "I want" list now.

My hair is very thick and curly - I have to blow it dry (take forever, lots of frizz, yay!) - and then I have to flat iron it lest I scare small children if I'm leaving the house.

It's been an expensive month for me, and I'm just now starting dental implants too. (If you've never priced those out....um, wow....)

So it may have to stay in theoretical status for me for a little while yet. However it sounds like it's worthy of a try, as long as I buy it from a place where I can return it if it's no bueno for me.

Bunny, would still love your update too if you take the plunge. :)

Bunny thanked Ally De
  • Allison0704
    last year

I know several here were interested in a Dyson product. I received an email today for current registered Dyson owners - 20% off is huge. I ordered DD2 a hair dryer (aka I will have one to use there), but the code can be used on other selected machines.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    last year

Allison, so you must be happy enough with your Dyson dryer to buy one for your DD2. What do you like most about it? Any not-likes? Are you using all the nozzle attachments?

My hair is relatively short with medium thickness and texture, but it can be slow to air-dry and I find myself enjoying blow-drying it less and less. So a dryer that excels at getting the damp out of my hair is very appealing.

• Allison0704
    last year

I only use two - the styling concentrator and flyaway attachment, which really works, but can also make hair flat. It removed any curl I had set in with round brush from the ends of my hair. YMMV

I like that it dries my hair in half the time. The room does not get warm. I do not get hot. The cold shot button is easily access by feel, or by seeing in mirror.

The filter location took a few minutes to get used to, so I do not partly cover with my hand.

I read or saw in a vdeo hair sholld be X% dry before starting to style. I don't recall the exact percentage. I am trying to let it stay in hair towel about 10 minutes longer than I previously did.

• Bunny
    Original Author
    last year

I am intrigued by how it can dry hair faster. I'm science-challenged, but it would seem to come down to air velocity/propulsion and heat, which most hairdryers have in various combinations.

I always air-dry my hair for an hour before using a dryer. I'd say after an hour it's about 2/3 dry. It's not in a towel, because it dries with product already in it to begin to dry into its ultimate shape.

• Allison0704
    last year

If your hair has curls, it comes with a diffuser. If I let my hair dry naturally for an hour, I would have lots of unruly waves.

• HU-163897337
    last year

I do the same as Bunny. i put product in my hair and let it dry intil almost dry and then use the hair dryer to finish drying ( it adds fullness) and style my long bangs. But i have thick wavy hair that i do not try to straighten.

Bunny thanked HU-163897337
  • Allison0704
    last year

Unfortunately mine would look like a windy day at the beach if I did not straighten.

• jsk
    last year

I also do not understand the science behind the hair dyer drying my hair faster. But it 100% does.

I also do not understand the science behind the fly away attachment but it 100% works to eliminate them (for some period of time).

When my science understanding DH read about the fly away thing he was so intrigued he insisted I buy it.

I leave my hair in a hair towel while I do my face care/makeup. If I let it dry naturally at all, it would be a hot mess. It's naturally wavy but not in a good way, unfortunately. The Dyson hair dryer has made my hair washing day so much easier.

Bunny thanked jsk
  • Bunny
    Original Author
    last year

Yesterday I got a haircut. My stylist uses a Dyson. I told her I was thinking about buying one and asked her what she thought.. She said for work, drying many heads of hair each day, she wouldn't be without it. She loves its relative lightness and the way the attachments (e.g., concentrator) can be rotated to just the right angle. Then she said she thought it was overkill for home use. At home she uses a small travel-size dryer and gets the same results. She's a woman in her mid-60s who's been doing hair for years.

She cut my bangs a little too short this time, but that will be remedied in a few weeks.

ETA: I forgot one thing. I asked about its faster drying reputation. What, beyond heat and air velocity, could be the magic factor. She said "ionic" technology, but added that other, less expensive dryers also have ionic technology.

• jsk
    last year

My stylist doesn't have one (home or work). She doesn't see the need to spend so much on a dryer, especially when she has to replace more often because of so much use. But she's a pro and can get the same results with any dryer. I don't have those skills!

Bunny thanked jsk