SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gillylily

So, what do you think? Should I go for it?

gillylily
13 years ago

I am trying to finish up my kitchen- Everything is done (I know i should have posted finished pictures, but life has gotten in the way and will do it very soon- promise).

There is a painting that I have been LONGING for quite some time. In my kitchen we have this "dry bar", in between the "kitchen" and " family room". I apologize for repetitive photos of my kitchen- but this is the "dry bar":

This is the kitchen: ( a little messy and blurry- sorry)

and an updated closer view of kitchen with backsplash:

This is the great room (viewing from kitchen):

The entire great room (kitchen, family room, and bar area) have been painted BM Pismo Dunes--

This is the painting I want for over the bar:

It is pricey and large (55" long), but we "fell into" some money (actually were really bad with our accounting and over-paid our car payment for two months so the money has already been withdrawn from our account) and I think I want to go for it... I LOVE this painting- It ties together my great room and my kitchen and although hard to see it has women sitting at a bar with two men playing instruments-- just seems like a great piece to go over a bar- plus the bar area is almost 8' long!!

What do you all think? Should I take the plunge?

Comments (21)

• cpartist
    13 years ago

it's a wonderful painting. is it an original or a print?

• gillylily
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I honestly have NO clue about artwork (other than when I like something I know I like it almost immediately). It says there are only 75 copies of it all signed by the artist- This particular painting is not available anywhere but thru Frontgate, but the artist Yuri Tremler has several other paintings- But this is the one I LOVE.. Ikea has a reproduction of one of his other pieces, but nearly as fantastic as this!!

My DH and I have never bought a piece of artwork before (been married 10 years) but this will be the first we can afford to buy!

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi gilly...

When it comes to art, I like to find something that makes me happy to look at. It sounds like this piece makes you very happy. An added bonus is that it looks like it's the right colors and theme for the dry bar. I would buy it if I were you.

KA:)

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Having recently (within the past few years) started purchasing decorative items for our home, incl 2 wall hanging/tapestries, and a giclee painting, I say--if you can afford to do so, go for it! We all go through this life once. If it will give you enjoyment and not break the bank, then take advantage of the opportunity to hang something on your wall that will make you smile every time you look at it.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

BUY it,

It will look perfect. Can't wait to see the pictures
    with this new painting. Post them when it is on the wall.
    ~boxerpups

• gillylily
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement! As of tomorrow I will be the proud owner of my first piece of art!! :)

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Buy it! My whole upstairs is painted in BM Pismo Dunes, it needs the color lift that painting will give it. The colors seem perfect.

Nancy

• jeanteach
    13 years ago

Yes, Yes, Yes! You will regret if you don't. It will make you happy every day if you do.

• cpartist
    13 years ago

as long as you are buying it because you love it, I say go for it. what worries me is those who will buy a giclee or this brushstrokes process thinking they will buy something that will rise in value. it most likely won't because the image was printed by a computer and then enhanced by employees trained to add brushstrokes to the artists image. usually only original paintings or hand pulled prints increase in value. having said that I think the image by yuri Is a wonderful print and prints are a great way to own art that would normally be out of our price range. i own prints by artists i love. go for it.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I think it is a perfect look for that space. I like the colors and style of it. It has a vitality and is a happy piece.
    If you can get frugal me to say "buy it", then it must be awesome, lol....

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

Whenever someone starts a tag line that includes the question of "go for it"?... I have to chime in. Life is short... GO FOR IT!

• gillylily
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone!! I am waiting on a coupon from Frontgate-for free shipping and then I will be purchasing it this afternoon-

Cpartist-Thank you for that info. I truly don't care about the value of the painting- I don't think i will EVER own a piece that can rise or fall in value- I just like to look at artwork -- unless times get really desperate I suppose.

I can't wait to show you the painting in MY kitchen!!!

• riverspots
    13 years ago

I wouldn't buy any art that I hadn't seen in person. The colors will be much duller than seen on a monitor.

As to value of the Frontgate offering, you can buy an original Tremler of women sitting at a bar for less than $5000. Women and musicians seem to be a repeating theme in his work. Me-I'd contact some galleries to see what originals they have or the artist himself to see if he plans to paint something similar to the Frontgate item in the future.

Here is a link that might be useful: one gallery selling tremler

• gillylily
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Riverspots for your suggestion- I have actually seen one repro. of his work (at Ikea they have one which obviously is not the same but by him and the same idea =- women sitting at a bar socializing- but it is this painting- the whole theme of it- that I think is so great!

I have researched this up the ying yang (trying to contact a gallery in Israel where the artist currently resides), but to be honest- I can't even come close to paying the prices for the original pieces. This one is (and i say this loosely) only $999.00 Still more than I would ever have spent on art in the past, but reasonable for something of this size and perfection.. I am not so concerned about the colors being off a little- My whole house is .full of earth-tones so I feel like no matter how off they are it will blend. I do appreciate your input though!! If i had a little spare change I might consider buying an original.. maybe someday!!! :)

• eustacem
    13 years ago

I am so glad to read that you decided to buy the print. Art is supposed to touch you on an emotional level, and when you find a piece that gets you that way, you will never regret it. Maybe it won't go up in monetary value, but in sentimental value it will. Maybe even passed down to your children someday--hey, this is the painting that my mom and dad loved--hey, this is the painting that my grandparents loved, etc. etc. Or, maybe not, but either way it's worth it if it makes you happy!

• gillylily
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Aww- Thanks eustacem- didn't even think about it that way.. i did take the plunge- just purchased it about 10 min. ago and even weasled my way into 10% off so with shipping it came to 10$ less than they were asking. (They do have free shipping but not for over-sized items-:(. It will be here in 3-4 weeks a (from 10/11-- so perhaps I will wait until it comes and is up to reveal my complete kitchen/great room!! Thanks for the encouragement! My DH will be happy he doesn't have to hear about this painting anymore too!1

• red_eared_slider86
    13 years ago

Congratulations! You will be happy that you bought it! Can't wait to see the pics!

• lisadlu
    13 years ago

If you love it, buy it!! I have bought three original paintings through eBay over the last few years (all California desert scenes) and paid under $200 each for two of them and $75 for the third. The frames alone are worth a lot more than that. If you don't mind buying a painting you haven't seen in person you can get some bargains on eBay. Some sellers have return policies. The artist for one of the paintings is listed and one of his other paintings sold through a gallery for $10K! Good luck!

• eustacem
    13 years ago

Yay, you bought it! Looking forward to photos once you get it on the wall!

• gillycat
    13 years ago

I am sooo glad that you bought it.
    Art speaks to you and this obviously has.

For what it is worth lets take the price $1000

If you amortise that over less than 3 years, then it is enjoyment and joy and something that makes you feel good for less than $1 a day
    And that is only considering 3 years of it's value

can't wait to see a picture of it in it's place

• gillylily
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. I will be sure to pass that along to my DH who can't believe we spent that much on something for the wall..BUT.. it makes me very happy and to him a a happy wife is a happy husband! :) (if only that rule was ALWAYS applicable)