SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heather_thieke

Master bath new build

Hello. Attached is plan of our master bath. I am wanting to cut down in cost related to vanities. Plans show two 60in single sink vanities. One on each side of door entering bath. Thoughts were to extent one side of wall to fit a 72in vanity double sink vanity. Then add a tall antique piece, even maybe a corner piece, for storage on the other wall. Maybe a accent chair beside and some artwork on the wall above the chair. Could even keep size as is and do 60in double sink but just trying to decide how this will look? Thoughts?! TIA

Comments (34)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

What does the person that designed the house recommend?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

Working within the information provided, consider this concept (not to be taken literally):

• Related Discussions

New build, master bath help

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks for the input, good advice. Planned on a door to bath but never noticed it wasn't included. If up is north on pic, bed would be on west wall. We were thinking of moving shower and toilet to south wall, shower would be bigger toilet room smaller Toilet area 3x4 (door opening out), moving bath tub to west wall. Putting separate sinks on easy and west side of window were tub was. Could then add more cabinets and storage?
    ...See More

New Build-Master Bath...10x9 aprox

Q

Comments (9)
    We just renovated our ensuite, using a 5’ Vanity with a single sink, and my husband and I now share the bathroom quite comfortably. We each have our own bank of drawers and our own storage tower. The vanity we replaced had a single bank of drawers and no storage towers so, when we were in there together, we were constantly opening and closing each other’s drawer to get to our own drawer. It didn’t work at all! For us, individual counterspace and separate storage is far more important than separate sinks. We love the new vanity.
    ...See More

New build...master bath advice

Q

Comments (2)
    Love the 2nd drawing, but I wouldn’t waste space on the dividing wall.
    ...See More

10' double vanity, 1 runner or 2 smaller rugs?

Q

Comments (0)
    I have a 10' vanity with double sinks in my master bath (new build) and I'm torn on 1 long runner, or 2 smaller rugs. I'm thinking a 9' runner may look too busy, but then again having 2 smaller rugs could do the same thing. Any advice, suggestions?
    ...See More
  • Mrs Pete
    last year

I am wanting to cut down in cost related to vanities. Plans show two 60in single sink vanities. One on each side of door entering bath. Thoughts were to extent one side of wall to fit a 72in vanity double sink vanity.

Your goal is to cut costs? Cut down to a single sink; you'll save the cost of a sink, a faucet and the inevitable duplicate maintenance that comes with duplicate items. Consider, too, that this bathroom is based upon symmetry ... the double doors centered on the tub. If you move the door, you lose that "entrance".

Could even keep size as is and do 60in double sink but just trying to decide how this will look?

5' can't adequately support duplicate sinks ... you'll have no drawer storage, which is very important.

Working within the information provided, consider this concept (not to be taken literally):

I usually like -- really like -- Mark's suggestions, but I'll point out that -- in this case -- a person sitting on the toilet would have a lovely view of himself in the vanity mirror.

I'm personally ambivalent about the location of the closet.

Other thoughts:

- The toilet closet is wider than most at 3'6", but -- at less than 5' -- it's too short for function. You'll knock your knees against the door; well, no, you won't because you'll never close the door. Consider losing the closet concept altogether.

- Where do you see your towels hanging? Consider both tub and shower towels.

- Where do you see your light switches? The double doors will hide the walls right by the entrance, and -- with the placement of the sinks -- you'll have a mirror right there by the entrance anyway.

- Consider that the closet door, as presented, is blocking the clothes on the left side; that is, you'll have to walk aroooounnd the door once you're in the closet. A pocket door could be a good choice for this closet.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year
    last modified: last year

"a person sitting on the toilet would have a lovely view of himself in the vanity mirror."

Taking into account the angle of incidence and the angle of reflection, the person seated would have a view of themself from the shoulders up at best (those physics classes are paying off). Unless you had one of those mirrors that are held away from the wall and can be tilted up or down, in which case a variety of views can be chosen.

• YouTube's Mountain Home Rookies
    last year

If its a cost thing. 1 sink is best altogether. 2 sinks makes most sense to me if the bathroom will be shared with more than one person getting ready for the day at the same time.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

I would shift door to bathroom to one side and have a single basin vanity wth long counter. Also I would put a door to closet outside of the bathroom not in

• worthy
    last year

Get the clothes closet out of the bathroom. Save by simply not spending extravagantly on the fittings, cabinetry and fixtures.

(Fortunately, I've never shared a w.c. with my "master".)

• Have aBurger
    last year

The cure plan is pretty good for the current space. Cutting vanity will probably lead to other compromises.

• Architectrunnerguy
    last year

@Mark Bischak, Architect I'm curious, why do you always post on your many drawings "Not to be taken literally" or "Concept only"?? As one colleague to another, it looks exactly like the same kind of drawing, complete with door swings, wall thicknesses and all the fixtures, I'd hand to a draftsman for drawing up when I had my firm and they had no problem executing it.

Looks ready to go for the owners architect to draw it up. Good idea BTW but a question I've always had.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

The sketches are made with limited knowledge of the OP and the site and the rest of the project. All very important things that should be known to the designer of a home. The sketched solution is created in a vacuum. The sketches are to create ideas, not be the idea; to generate discussion, not to end discussion.

Besides, I love making little sketches.

• Architectrunnerguy
    last year

@Mark Bischak, Architect That's certainly noble but unfortunately most folks don't interpret it that way as the drawing is complete. How many times have we seen "Build Mark's drawing (ie: the idea)!!". And of course it eliminates the need to actually HIRE a local architect.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

I have the experience of folks interpreting my sketches literally, even though it is stated, "not to be taken literally", and then pick it apart as if I was the Original Poster. My sketches are an idea that shows there is more out there than what their designer offers, it might work and it may not work. They are never based upon all the information needed. I post the sketches for those that can think outside the box they have found themselves in, and can comprehend if this space can be laid out better than their designer has done, maybe there are other areas in the house that can be laid out better by a local architect; and maybe the entire house can be better laid out by a local architect.

Some folks truly want a better design for their future home, some folks want praise for the house design they found or ended up with.

This discussion is about vanities in a master bathroom and cost. I stepped outside of the discussion intent a little to make the OP think; perhaps a different (better?) layout is worth the extra money?

• worthy
    last year

Streetwalkers don't give freebies--I've heard. Just architects.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

I like to think I am giving to a worthy cause. I have found many people do not know what architects do. And they do not know the difference between a house designer and an architect.

• Architectrunnerguy
    last year

"Streetwalkers don't give freebies--I've heard. Just architects." Ha! Yes, we don't find lawyers writing briefs for free or CPA's figuring taxes for free.....lol. And in this economy I'm surprised there's even time to do any free design work.

And here it's generally for folks that are improving their life position and they have likely gotten to that point by valuing their own education and expertise and have charged others handsomely for it.

• David Cary
    last year

My original plans were similar. I dropped the double doors - because noise and light switches. Showers can be kind of loud for a sleeping partner. I still have the vanities with drawers on either side of the sinks. It is drawn with sinks off center which makes for really wide drawers or 2 side by side sets which I find less functional. I don't use all my drawers but me wife uses all of hers.....

I would second some of the thoughts about your motivation to save money. I wouldn't go down to 1 sink personally - lots of people here suggest it but I like 2 sinks and it is absolutely expected in my market.

Now if you want to save some money - drop the tub.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

I think this is a developer trying to sell a preconceived plan . . .

. . . From a Ballantine's Ale advertisement. "To speed the day when we can have more "better things" but war bonds and stamps" is at the bottom of the page.

• Heather Thieke
    Original Author
    last year

Appreciate all your input. Thank you. Expect those, in a round about way, bashing me for wanting free advice. That is not this platforms intended use. Unfortunately I wish that in today's market I could afford an architect but again that's the reason I am using this platform. I trust my contractor's opinion once this is brought to him for discussion I just wanted to ask and see others opinions. I like the door position comment on keeping it center with tub and window. The plan is to purchase vanities that look more cabinet style with legs so I also thought to do two 48in vanities vs two 60in. As a whole, not just the master bath, I am looking to save in some areas to splurge in others. Thoughts on the 48in? Also will more than likely do away with the bathroom door (it would work w/my family). A pocket door was considered for the closet entrance. Re the toliet closet we want a door but could do away with it altogether but I am not picturing how it would look with just the toliet sitting there. Most large baths similar to this layout that I have seen have always had a toilet closet. Thanks again for your time and nice comments.

• cpartist
    last year

Streetwalkers don't give freebies--I've heard. Just architects.

And artists.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

"I wish that in today's market I could afford an architect"

How many local residential architects did you get estimates from?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

" . . . many times have we seen "Build Mark's drawing (ie: the idea)!!"."

. . . and more often we hear crickets.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last year

I want to say first off: no offense intended. (This forum can be brutally honest, as you have seen already.)

Here’s my perspective on your idea to not have bathroom doors. We bought an extensively remodeled home 4 years ago. Three small bedrooms and small bath were changed to a master bedroom/huge bathroom suite. There was no door at the doorway into the bathroom. Our first thought was WTF? No privacy. No noise/odor/light control. The very first thing we did was have a door hung there.

If the purpose is to save money, as someone else said above, omitting a door is pennies compared to a whole home build cost. It will take a whole lot of pennies to make a difference..

• Mrs Pete
    last year

I wouldn't go down to 1 sink personally - lots of people here suggest it but I like 2 sinks and it is absolutely expected in my market.

Whereas I consider duplicate sinks a strong negative. A waste of space and more to maintain /another potential leak.

Now if you want to save some money - drop the tub.

That WILL save money, but will you miss it? This is a personal question. I think you'll find this board is split on tubs.

The plan is to purchase vanities that look more cabinet style with legs

Cabinets styled with legs will cost more, and the legs are another thing to clean around /under. With your concerns about budget, this is an obvious place to cut,

so I also thought to do two 48in vanities vs two 60in.

You're talking pennies here. Okay, not literally pennies, but you're not talking real savings.

Also will more than likely do away with the bathroom door ... Re the toliet closet we want a door but could do away with it altogether ...

I dislike toilets jammed into closets, but you do need a door in one place ... if not on the bathroom itself, then on a toilet closet. You don't want the toilet open to the bedroom.

You don't want a toilet closet this short, and you don't want to build anything just because "it's what you've always seen" in other bathrooms. Consider that you're talking about building a stall just like the toilets at the mall ... do you consider them comfortable?

• worthy
    last year

All this mania for potty privacy...perhaps reveals a generation gap or three.

Drench

But, if you insist,

His and Her Thrones

(Assuming this is soley a cis-gender hangup.)

• T T
    last year

I will just reiterate that if you're worrying about hundreds of dollars at this point, you really should hold off on building. In the inflationary environment today, it is common to see costs increased by at least 5% during the course of the build. Things like framing, drywall, painters, etc, all seem to be going up in cost.  As Raimondi stated, having a 20% contingency fund or the means to borrow more money is crucial so that you don't get stuck losing the house mid-build.

• Heather Thieke
    Original Author
    last year

No the purpose to omit the door to the bath from bedroom has nothing to do with cost. All with we don't mind messing with a door. Our previous home had the same layout and didn't  have a door and didn't miss having one. Re cost of legged furniture...I see what you are saying however we have saved hundreds of dollars by purchasing vanities off of FB marketplace for our other baths. Matching 60in single vanities are hard to come by hence is why I am here with the questions. I may extent the poop closet as I have seen that it is shorter than most. And yes I know what architect des cost but in today's climate it is not an option. We are building with a reputable custom home builder.

• Heather Thieke
    Original Author
    last year

I should say hundreds per vanity and not total. I would get ambushed if I didn't specify that.

• T T
    last year

I would extend the toilet closet to match how far the shower extends and call it good.  Definitely leave a door on the toilet closet,  especially if you won't have a door between the bedroom and bathroom.  Personally, I like having a door leading into the bathroom due to the benefits of blocking both light and sound from traveling into the bedroom.

• David Cary
    last year

Just a point. No one here could have guessed you were using non standard vanites and that was why you wanted to do a single vanity. Makes a lot more sense with that bit of information.

I think people are fine giving free advice, it is just that the concept of not using anyone to design a house is not recommended. And so you should have someone to go to. It would make more sense to look at the whole project rather than a clip of a floor plan on the forum.

Symmetry for instance could be a repeating theme. Or it could be more eclectic. Also size of spaces etc. What they don't necessarily like is looking at one part and trying to cut costs - that is not dealing with the project as a whole - and that is the objection.

I think 48 in vanities are fine and I was going to make that suggestion and that can actually be a pretty big savings. I also agree that you need a door on the toilet space or the bathroom - at least 1. I can tell you there is a reason that bathrooms have doors and not just for toilet spaces. Without a door - I would recommend the same flooring. I have the same flooring with a door.

• Mrs Pete
    last year

No the purpose to omit the door to the bath from bedroom has nothing to do with cost. All with we don't mind messing with a door.

I strongly recommend that you size the bathroom opening so that you (or a future owner) could always add a standard-sized door later. Sizing the opening in this way will cost nothing, yet it could be a big savings later.

Matching 60in single vanities are hard to come by hence is why I am here with the questions.

Okay, that wasn't quite clear to me. If you've had good luck with inexpensive vanities in the past, why not go with a single vanity now?

I think 48 in vanities are fine

48" is fine -- that's what I have, and I'm 100% satsified -- but I wouldn't choose 48" over 60" for the cost savings, which will be negligible.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

Start here:

Now, add anything you are willing to pay for.

• PRO
    Upcycled Artisan
    last year

I'm going through the process of creating a master suite and have run into similar design choices for a budget. My choice was to eliminate the items I'd use the least and bring the least value. In your case, I'd 86 the bathtub for the biggest savings.  Consider something like this sketched both with and without bathtub.

• Loudermilk
    last year

I am wanting to cut down in cost related to vanities. Plans show two 60in single sink vanities. Thoughts were to extent one side of wall to fit a 72in vanity double sink vanity. Then add a tall antique piece, Maybe a accent chair beside and some artwork on the wall above the chair.

I'm confused about what you are trying to accomplish. The entire purpose of changing the current design is to "cut down in cost related to vanities."

How much do you think two 60" vanities cost VS one 72" vanity + one tall antique piece + one accent chair + artwork?

I don't see how you could possibly save a meaningful amount of money (if any) with the latter.

• Heather Thieke
    Original Author
    last year

@loudermilk

I am not buying vanities from box stores. Already saves me there. Already have artwork and chair on hand.