SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petalique

Q: iPhone broken, dropped too often. May get a new phone - Questions…

petalique
last year

I have an iphone SE (2nd edition, I think) that seems like a goner. It shuts down after about 2 mins and re-starts again. Of course, not backed up ;-) {“I spit at data!” says Uncle Kosgrove.}

Tried two resets, but phone didn’t change. This has been going on for about 3 weeks. But about 1.5 weeks ago, it improved for a day or two and stayed on for about 15 minutes before shutting down. I naively thought that would last, and was very busy and did not take that window to try to rescue data.

I have not taken it to an Apple guru because (1) my DH usually is able to figue out and troubleshoot Things like this, (2) It would cost me money and (3) I have some information that’s sort of private on there — like my favorite colors, weight, my canary’s DNA data, inventions, map to where Pirate treasure chests hidden…

DH says I could just get a new phone, call this one cooked and try to fiddle/fix it at my leisure.

What iPhone to get: I like a smallish phone that fits into pockets and is easy to grasp for woman’s medium hand with joint tendon issues. I like taking photo or videos and love storage capacity. my current SE has/had ~ 256 GB. I like that current broken SE has Touch ID/fingerprint. I don’t need the “home” button.

I enjoy taking all sorts of photos (garden, plants, birds, insects, natural history related. food, crime scenes (not really), hangnails, warts, sunsets…. A friend has a 13 Pro and likes it and its camera.

A lot of the new phone use Face ID and I’m not sure I want that. Call me a luddite, but there is something creepy about it. Maybe because I have wrinkles and thin eyebrows…

Do people here have any thoughts on Face ID? Like, love, dislike?

Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

Comments (20)